Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn
Quality Inn(Gainesville)
US$81
QualityInn
US$110
WoodSpring Suites Gainesville I-75(Gainesville)(Great Value!)
US$57
US$65
EconoLodge
All reviewsantique shopscross creekcarriage housepump houseold floridaclaw foot tubrose roombreakfast was deliciousspanish mossfresh baked cookiesupstairs verandaflorida townboth morningslate arrivalthird floorshort drivegainesville area
Reviewed 2 November 2013

My Visit to My Late Grandparents Home:

The Herlong Mansion Bed & Breakfast

in

Micanopy Florida

By:

E. Marie Rosborough, Ph.D.

November 2, 2013

I am the granddaughter of the late Zeddy Clarence (Z. C.) Herlong and his second wife, Marie

Douglas (Rosborough) Herlong!

Therefore, most of you can easily understand how excited I was when I first read in the

“Award Winning” publication,” Southern Living (and later in other publications), that my

grandparents’ home, The Herlong Mansion, had been turned into a bed & breakfast! I was

ecstatic!

At that moment, I decided that I would plan a visit for several days and nights to The Herlong

Mansion, and I would do so as soon as possible! I wanted to “re-live” my fond memories of the

many wonderful Christmas holidays that I spent there with my grandparents - - from the time

that I was four (4) years of age in 1955 until the time I became a teenager! (I am now 63 years of

age and a retired Deputy Superintendent of Schools!)

Page 2.

Well, about two weeks ago in late October, 2013, I had the opportunity to spend four (4) days

and three (3) nights at The Herlong Mansion Bed & Breakfast!

And, WOW! I found my stay to be absolutely awesome!

It was just as I had remembered it more than fifty (50) years ago!

I was even able to stay in the same room that I had stayed in as a child!

Everything was as I had remembered it - - the eloquent, beautiful rooms, including a library,

music& sitting room, dining room, the many bedrooms & bathrooms; the four (4) massive

Corinthian Columns standing before the two wide verandas of the first & second floors; the live

oaks & moss, the orange trees, and the carefully manicured, beautiful gardens surrounding the

Mansion; the rich mahogany inlaid floors; the walls & woodwork of beautiful hardwood & oak;

the Mission Style staircase constructed of tiger oak joining the first & second floors, the artistry

of the unique, specially designed & patterned lead glass windows & doors; et cetera!

Indeed, I found the restoration of The Herlong Mansion & Gardens to be outstanding!

Page 3.

Today, the atmosphere is welcoming & friendly as it takes you back to a time in history when

things were rich and elegant, and daily life was more relaxed!

The Herlong Mansion Bed & Breakfast now reflects a time in history when people had time for

each other, a time when friendships were valued & cherished, and a time when education and

the arts were of the upmost importance!

The Herlong Mansion Bed & Breakfast is located in the quiet, small town of Micanopy, Florida!

The town of Micanopy is rich in history and it’s recognized by the State as the oldest

inland settlement in Florida!

Historical records indicate that as early as 1539, De Soto found the site inhabited by the

Timucuan Indians!

Today, the streets of the small town of Micanopy are lined with historic buildings, antique shops,

cafes, and other specialty shops offering a wide range of goods & crafts including such items as

old books, stained glass, hand-made jewelry, musical instruments & many other unique &

interesting items!

Page 4.

And, of most importance, everything is in walking distance of The Herlong Mansion Bed &

Breakfast!

I highly recommend the Herlong Bed & Breakfast in Micanopy, Florida for it provides its

visitors & vacationers a rich & unique experience of the highest quality – the accommodations,

the services, the staff, and all other amenities!

Note: The Herlong Mansion is listed on the National List of Historic Places!

Also, National Geographic recently named The Herlong Mansion Bed & Breakfast as

No. 23 on its list of “Must Stay, Places You Will Love!”

In closing, please find attached, pictures taken of me (age 4) & my family at the Herlong

Mansion in 1955 and also, pictures more recently taken of me (age 63) & my partner, Jason, at

the Herlong Mansion in October, 2013!

Enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marie R
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The Herlong has previously been one of our most favorite places to stay, having spent 4 nights there ourselves, treating our parents to a night there for their anniversary, and referring friends who’ve stayed at the Mansion in the last 2 years. You may have seen our previous post about how much we enjoyed our stay with them. So it is with difficulty that I share with the traveling community my enormous (and costly) disappointment. So enamored were we with the Mansion that my fiancé and I reserved it for our wedding. Only because of significant financial difficulty, which I cannot state enough how onerous these financial difficulties are, we were forced to call and postpone the event. The Herlong explained to us as it was stated in our reservation agreement, that our deposit was non-refundable, and that because we were cancelling / rescheduling the reservation within 90 days of the event, the Herlong reserved the right to bill us for the remainder. In spite of their gesture to not bill us for the remainder because of our explanation of our financial duress, I can’t say enough how disappointed we are that we could not be given any credit. As the Herlong representative explained that several other requests for the date had been turned away, we were also lead to believe that even if another recent wedding request for the specific day could be engaged, we would not be given any consideration. Even though we planned to stay at the Mansion several more times in the near future, as well as many more times over the next several years, we only asked for some credit toward that. But we were resoundingly denied. It is only as fair warning that I post this message, and advise the public that in spite of my previous praise of the accommodations, be wary of their ultimate lack of customer consideration. Fully acknowledging that they had reserved the right to keep the deposit with the initial agreement, we feel that they’re short sighted in maintaining long-lasting customer service, and did not demonstrate any loyalty in kind to that we had exhibited over the last 2 years.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank SarasotaMike7343
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

I was very sad that this loyal customer of ours had to cancel their room bookings and wedding plans with us. There is an agreed upon non-refundable deposit required at the time of booking to secure a wedding date (in this case, 11/12/13, which was a popular date and we turned away many potential weddings) along with the booking of all our rooms. Unfortunately, he cancelled barely 60 days prior to the scheduled wedding date and was now also responsible for the remaining balance due. As a "customer courtesy" for his loyal patronage I agreed to not charge this remaining balance for which he was responsible. This generous gesture was evidently not appreciated and instead of thanking the Herlong he chose, instead, to write this negative review. I find it quite scurrilous to give a negative review and a 1 star for an action the Herlong Mansion had no control over- it was Your Own act of cancelling your booking and event with the agreed upon non-refundable deposit shortly before it's scheduled date that caused the loss of your deposit. I am also deeply disappointed that you negatively punished the Herlong with this review even after she so graciously absolved you of the outstanding monies you owed upon your cancellation - I am hoping this generous consideration for your customer loyalty will ultimately bring you back to stay with us.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Just spent Labor Day weekend in Micanopy, Florida at the Herlong Mansion. We were treated with the utmost respect.
We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We took an airboat ride, visited the Yearling Restaurant and shopped all the antique shops Micanopy had to offer. You must go visit this quaint little town for some real relaxation away from the rat race.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank weo77
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Thank you for staying with us- it was a pleasure meeting you both. I'm pleased to see that the picture I took of you two turned out so well and that you posted it for others to view. We look forward to your return visit. Thank you, Carolyn

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Leaving the big city atmosphere of St. Pete, and being enveloped in the little town of Micanopy was like going back in time. Our stay at the beautiful and spacious Herlong Mansion just added to the experience. We were glad to be in comfortable shorts and cool AC rather than corsets and high button boots of the olden days. This B&B is now at the top of my list, for a peaceful and comfortable escape. The gracious owner and welcoming staff added to a relaxed and interesting atmosphere that made us feel welcome.

Room Tip: We loved the Rose Room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Syd L

We are so pleased you enjoyed your peaceful stay at the Herlong and immersed yourself in the "old fashioned" pleasures of little Micanopy. We hope you come and escape to us again soon.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We drove up from Sarasota intending to stay at the Herlong but when we got to the front porch there was a sign saying that reservations were only taken on the internet, As we stood there on the front porch, I called the number listed on the door but nobody answered - and here's the kicker - there were three people standing and talking right in plain view in the entrway and no one bothered to answer the door or the phone. We would have expected at least a "sorry" or some sort of indication that they saw us (which would have been impossible not to). It was hardly a genteel response and actually rather shockingly rude.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank mamick_13
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

THIS IS NOT A REVIEW FROM SOMEONE WHO STAYED AT THE HERLONG
We are sorry that you did not make a reservation before driving to the Herlong- Had you done so we would have gladly waited for your late arrival. However, by the time you arrived the front desk had closed and the Herlong locked for the night (the phone number you dialed is for the front desk number- There is an alternative emergency number given to our guests should they ever require assistance in the evenings).
The next morning the three people you saw inside the Herlong (they were registered guests, not employees) told me they had been reluctant to answer the front door after hours -as guests staying with us they did not feel it was their place to open the front door to strangers.
It really is imperative to at least call in advance so we know you are arriving. We are a small Inn -Not a chain hotel -we do not have a 24 hour front desk. Our hours are 8AM to 5PM with special arrangements made for late arrivals with reservations.
I feel it is very unfair for the Herlong to have to receive a 1 star for your incorrect assumption -We are also very upset to be accused of behavior ( not genteel and shockingly rude ) that we would never condone because you erroneously mistook our guests for Herlong employees.