“Wonderful stay!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Micanopy
Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Micanopy B&B and Inns
Wake Forest, North Carolina
“Wonderful stay!”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My wife and I recently spent a night at the Herlong Mansion to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We stayed in the Jasmine room and found it to be wonderful. It is an old house, so the room was small, but very comfortable. There was no TV, but that's part of the fun in staying in an historic bed and breakfast. There are wonderful nature areas nearby, and the town of Micanopy has a number of fun shops to explore. The Herlong was a beautiful, well maintained building, inside and out. From relaxing on the beautiful outdoor porch on the second floor, to picking citrus from the trees (we were visiting in late December), to the wonderful furnishing throughout, it was fantastic. The staff were friendly and helpful. We also enjoyed the wonderful breakfast served the next morning. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dbphillips

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay very much. Everyone was very pleasant, helpful and professional. It's a great place to get away and relax. The mansion is beautiful and the grounds lovely. The breakfast was super good and, again, service excellent. I would highly recommend the Herlong for that relaxing getaway.

• Stayed December 2013
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed for one night and that is truly all we wanted to stay. We spent the night in the "Carriage House", worse place ever to stay!!!! Upon entering the room the first thing you see is an out of place jacuzzi in front of the bed, and of course can't forget the Rain-Ex jar sitting on the floor in the far corner. Should have told us something right there. The room was moldy and you could smell the mold in the air. Not a good place if you suffer from breathing problems. Also this is a Non-Smoking environment. They have NO POSTED signs anywhere notifying the customer that it is a smoke free establishment. They do that in order to charge you an extra $250.00 for smoking on their property!!! Again NO POSTED signs to warn you of this fact. They can even charge you if they smell smoke on your clothes, even if you didn't smoke there or not. Very Bad Business if you ask me. Read the Fine Print before you sign......

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Christina Q
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Yes, we are a Smoke Free Environment and this guest Smoked cigarettes and Other non-tobacco based items causing quite a stench in the room. She was charged the $250.00 penalty and is writing her "review" as retribution. We send out our confirmations clearly stipulating the No Smoking policy- there are signs in the rooms and No Smoking policy on the guest registration form that one signs when checking in.
The Carriage House has a large Jaccuzzi tub off in the corner of the room -not directly in front of the bed. It is meant to be romantic and I'm sorry this guest did not find it so. There is a huge canopy of magnolias and oaks covering the Carriage House - we put Damp-Rid in the corner so that it can absorb any potential dampness created by the heavy shade. We totally renovated the Carriage House this summer- Re-did the floors, Fresh Paint throughout, removed old kitchenette and re-did bathroom -There is No Mold . We also put in a New King Bed and replaced older furniture.
I agree that one should read Everything not just the fine print : then they will know that this is a Smoke Free Property so everyone can enjoy a clean smelling, non-toxic environment.
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 29 November 2013

This destination is wonderful for relaxation and a good night's sleep after a busy day visiting friends/family in Micanopy or Gainesville. One should be able to navigate a staircase or two to get to most of the bedrooms in the main house. The rooms are large and comfortable. Breakfast is prompt and tasty, served between 8:30-9:30. Guests are usually repeat visitors and that bodes well for the continuity of the place.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Attending a wedding nearby & Herlong Mansion was recommended for us & friends to stay for Friday thru Saturday events. Herlong provided comfortable rooms and great service (Jim was our favorite!) . Beautiful porches off 2nd floor! Great weekend.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Winnsboro, South Carolina
Reviewed 2 November 2013

My Visit to My Late Grandparents Home:

The Herlong Mansion Bed & Breakfast

in

Micanopy Florida

By:

E. Marie Rosborough, Ph.D.

November 2, 2013

I am the granddaughter of the late Zeddy Clarence (Z. C.) Herlong and his second wife, Marie

Douglas (Rosborough) Herlong!

Therefore, most of you can easily understand how excited I was when I first read in the

“Award Winning” publication,” Southern Living (and later in other publications), that my

grandparents’ home, The Herlong Mansion, had been turned into a bed & breakfast! I was

ecstatic!

At that moment, I decided that I would plan a visit for several days and nights to The Herlong

Mansion, and I would do so as soon as possible! I wanted to “re-live” my fond memories of the

many wonderful Christmas holidays that I spent there with my grandparents - - from the time

that I was four (4) years of age in 1955 until the time I became a teenager! (I am now 63 years of

age and a retired Deputy Superintendent of Schools!)

Page 2.

Well, about two weeks ago in late October, 2013, I had the opportunity to spend four (4) days

and three (3) nights at The Herlong Mansion Bed & Breakfast!

And, WOW! I found my stay to be absolutely awesome!

It was just as I had remembered it more than fifty (50) years ago!

I was even able to stay in the same room that I had stayed in as a child!

Everything was as I had remembered it - - the eloquent, beautiful rooms, including a library,

music& sitting room, dining room, the many bedrooms & bathrooms; the four (4) massive

Corinthian Columns standing before the two wide verandas of the first & second floors; the live

oaks & moss, the orange trees, and the carefully manicured, beautiful gardens surrounding the

Mansion; the rich mahogany inlaid floors; the walls & woodwork of beautiful hardwood & oak;

the Mission Style staircase constructed of tiger oak joining the first & second floors, the artistry

of the unique, specially designed & patterned lead glass windows & doors; et cetera!

Indeed, I found the restoration of The Herlong Mansion & Gardens to be outstanding!

Page 3.

Today, the atmosphere is welcoming & friendly as it takes you back to a time in history when

things were rich and elegant, and daily life was more relaxed!

The Herlong Mansion Bed & Breakfast now reflects a time in history when people had time for

each other, a time when friendships were valued & cherished, and a time when education and

the arts were of the upmost importance!

The Herlong Mansion Bed & Breakfast is located in the quiet, small town of Micanopy, Florida!

The town of Micanopy is rich in history and it’s recognized by the State as the oldest

inland settlement in Florida!

Historical records indicate that as early as 1539, De Soto found the site inhabited by the

Timucuan Indians!

Today, the streets of the small town of Micanopy are lined with historic buildings, antique shops,

cafes, and other specialty shops offering a wide range of goods & crafts including such items as

old books, stained glass, hand-made jewelry, musical instruments & many other unique &

interesting items!

Page 4.

And, of most importance, everything is in walking distance of The Herlong Mansion Bed &

Breakfast!

I highly recommend the Herlong Bed & Breakfast in Micanopy, Florida for it provides its

visitors & vacationers a rich & unique experience of the highest quality – the accommodations,

the services, the staff, and all other amenities!

Note: The Herlong Mansion is listed on the National List of Historic Places!

Also, National Geographic recently named The Herlong Mansion Bed & Breakfast as

No. 23 on its list of “Must Stay, Places You Will Love!”

In closing, please find attached, pictures taken of me (age 4) & my family at the Herlong

Mansion in 1955 and also, pictures more recently taken of me (age 63) & my partner, Jason, at

the Herlong Mansion in October, 2013!

Enjoy!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marie R
Sarasota
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The Herlong has previously been one of our most favorite places to stay, having spent 4 nights there ourselves, treating our parents to a night there for their anniversary, and referring friends who’ve stayed at the Mansion in the last 2 years. You may have seen our previous post about how much we enjoyed our stay with them. So it is with difficulty that I share with the traveling community my enormous (and costly) disappointment. So enamored were we with the Mansion that my fiancé and I reserved it for our wedding. Only because of significant financial difficulty, which I cannot state enough how onerous these financial difficulties are, we were forced to call and postpone the event. The Herlong explained to us as it was stated in our reservation agreement, that our deposit was non-refundable, and that because we were cancelling / rescheduling the reservation within 90 days of the event, the Herlong reserved the right to bill us for the remainder. In spite of their gesture to not bill us for the remainder because of our explanation of our financial duress, I can’t say enough how disappointed we are that we could not be given any credit. As the Herlong representative explained that several other requests for the date had been turned away, we were also lead to believe that even if another recent wedding request for the specific day could be engaged, we would not be given any consideration. Even though we planned to stay at the Mansion several more times in the near future, as well as many more times over the next several years, we only asked for some credit toward that. But we were resoundingly denied. It is only as fair warning that I post this message, and advise the public that in spite of my previous praise of the accommodations, be wary of their ultimate lack of customer consideration. Fully acknowledging that they had reserved the right to keep the deposit with the initial agreement, we feel that they’re short sighted in maintaining long-lasting customer service, and did not demonstrate any loyalty in kind to that we had exhibited over the last 2 years.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank SarasotaMike7343
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
I was very sad that this loyal customer of ours had to cancel their room bookings and wedding plans with us. There is an agreed upon non-refundable deposit required at the time of booking to secure a wedding date (in this case, 11/12/13, which was a popular date and we turned away many potential weddings) along with the booking of all our rooms. Unfortunately, he cancelled barely 60 days prior to the scheduled wedding date and was now also responsible for the remaining balance due. As a "customer courtesy" for his loyal patronage I agreed to not charge this remaining balance for which he was responsible. This generous gesture was evidently not appreciated and instead of thanking the Herlong he chose, instead, to write this negative review. I find it quite scurrilous to give a negative review and a 1 star for an action the Herlong Mansion had no control over- it was Your Own act of cancelling your booking and event with the agreed upon non-refundable deposit shortly before it's scheduled date that caused the loss of your deposit. I am also deeply disappointed that you negatively punished the Herlong with this review even after she so graciously absolved you of the outstanding monies you owed upon your cancellation - I am hoping this generous consideration for your customer loyalty will ultimately bring you back to stay with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Micanopy
Wyndham Garden Gainesville
Wyndham Garden Gainesville
#25 of 45 in Gainesville
Home2 Suites by Hilton Gainesville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gainesville
WoodSpring Suites Gainesville I-75
Howard Johnson Express Inn Gainesville FL
DoubleTree by Hilton Gainesville

Been to Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!