“Beautiful”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Micanopy
Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Micanopy B&B and Inns
Hernando, Florida
“Beautiful”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The Herlong Mansion is exquisitely beautiful. It was like stepping back in time. We took a tour of the rooms and each one had it's own personality. The pictures on the website perfectly represented the mansion. The furnishing all seemed to be original to the house and have been beautifully cared for. We enjoyed looking at all of the old photos and letters that were framed on the walls. The upstairs veranda with the swings were very enjoyable. The outside grounds were also quite beautiful. My daughter cannot wait to go back for a visit. Thank you to Carolyn for being a very gracious host. Maybe Julio G would be better suited to a Super 8 Motel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

2 Thank Melony C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Herlong Mansion B&B and we were taken by the charm of the place and the warm hospitality we were shown. We especially enjoyed sitting on the upstairs veranda in the afternoon and the breakfast in the morning served in the beautiful dining room was delicious. We felt like honored guests, and look forward to returning to the Herlong in the future. It was a special experience that we will never forget. Chris and George L

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

This place is run down and does not look like the pictures on the website. My husband and I went for Valentines Day the room needed new bedding and was dusty. When we checked out they went to our room and went through our garbage accused us of smoking in the room because we had empty cig pack in the trash can. Kinda creepy!!! They then charged my credit $250.00 !!!! Are you kidding???
We paid $165.00 cash for the room and was treated like we were in high school, really?
These people are nuts !!! I will never go back to that PO dunk place.
What a joke!
The breakfast was also nothing to brag about ... What a shame they could do much better!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Julio G
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Yes, we do have a very strict No Smoking- No Residual Smoke Odor policy which is in the confirmation email and on the sign in registration. We wish to maintain a Healthy, Clean and Non-Toxic environment for our guests. It was not necessary to "go through the garbage" as is suggested- the room reeked of residual smoke odor and therefore the $250.00 penalty was charged. This is just a mean spirited retaliatory "review". In this day and age No Smoking is becoming a way of life and it is standard practice for Hotels to charge a penalty for disregarding their policies.
Tampa, Florida, United States
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My best girlfriend and I visited the Herlong B and B and it was absolutely amazing! The innkeeper and staff was friendly, the house was breathtaking and the food was spectacular! I will absolutely go back again and again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Courtney H
Crestview, Florida
Reviewed 4 February 2014

My friend & I stayed here for a "girlfriend weekend getaway"..... She had driven through Micanopy several months earlier, and even tried to stay there at that time, but they were full. She was so enamored with the town and this home, that we decided to return. Driving up to this Southern Antebellum home took my breath away! I was not disappointed when we walked through the doors either. I would call the interior "eclectic". It's a nice mix of lovely antiques, with some interesting objects thrown in the mix! It all made sense after learning that the owners came from The Florida Keys where they also owned & operated a B&B. I found our room to be nice and clean and I just loved the old claw foot tub. The beds were very comfortable. The "Herlong" experience is so much more interesting & fun (as is the whole town) than any generic same old "run of the mill" place to stay & explore. I just love it! And, having wine, port & sherry there for the guests to enjoy, was an extra special touch ;) I highly recommend this wonderful old Beauty!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Rose room because it had two double beds.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

2 Thank Tappy S
amityville
Reviewed 2 February 2014

THE MANSION Is a trip back to a differentt era.The bed was super COMFORTABLE .The history an the ANTIQUE s in the Mansion were just a prelude to the QUAINT little town. Thanks for our warm welcoming to the whole staff.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank jillkissel
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

I have to agree with the last reviewer that it's seen better days long ago.. It is one of those maintenance nightmares.
Micanopy is a lovely little town to visit coming or going from Gainesville or if you are visiting the Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings homestead. Which is well worth a visit BTW...
However the Herlong is not worth the visit, it is creepy, unkempt and needs a good once over inside and out. It has lovely gardens that would need a full time caretaker to maintain. I had to go buy soap they provided a bar about the size of a quarter. Not what you expect from what is billed.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mary K
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
I sent a message to the reviewer and I have printed her response and my response to her

Hi Mary- I am so sorry to hear you found the Herlong lacking in amenities and that it could use some TLC. Would you tell me what room you stayed in so I may tell my housekeeper ? I know the soap is small but it is provided to get a guest through one night and not have to throw away so much unused soaps left behind. We would have gladly given you more if asked and we do have shower gels that we provide as well. My husband and I are always painting rooms and refinishing floors etc. so if you could tell me an area you found that could use some sprucing please tell me-I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you Carolyn
Reviewers response
Carolyn we stayed in the last room second floor on the right I think it was the Magnolia. However first appearances mean a lot. We walked in the door and things were in some disarray. Delivery boxes in the hall and the area where you greet guests was full of miscellaneous knick knacks and just looked terribly unprofessional.The toilet had some note on it about flushing and the little coasters under the dresser hadn't been replaced or cleaned in years. The light in the bathroom needed a new shade. I couldn't get WiFi in the bedroom and had to come downstairs to the lounge which isn't a terribly big deal but and I have experienced that before but you are just outside of Gainesville.
I am sorry to have to report this and understand what a vast ordeal it must be to stay ahead with a place like this.
My response

Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts- I had just received that delivery of boxes and do apologize that they gave you a first bad impression - I have also reviewed our office space area and addressed the "overload of personal knick-knacks" you found unprofessional looking. I have gone up to check on the lampshade (with an interior tear that was indiscernible from the outside) and will replace it- I removed the coasters and will be updating the hand written note on the commode (unfortunately,some guests need to be reminded so as to prevent the eventual clogging). I have recently updated that room with a new comforter set, new chairs and reading lamps - I also removed the oriental rugs and redid the floors to give it a lighter feel.
I do have a gardener but during this time of year (January) it is difficult to see the loveliness of our work.- come spring it is gorgeous. I provide free WIFI service but unfortunately have no control over the strength of reception in this rural area.
My husband and I are continuously working to improve the Herlong and have vastly upgraded it to what it looks like today. We do appreciate your helpful comments and hope you would reconsider your "Poor" rating as it tends to invoke a careless, thoughtless attitude on the part of the owner and staff which we are certainly anything but - I devote my time and effort to the Herlong (as does my staff) in assuring a comfortable stay in rural, unspoiled Micanopy.
It was a pleasure meeting your husband and providing him with information on the Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings State Park, I'm so pleased you enjoyed your visit there.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Micanopy
Sleep Inn & Suites University/Shands
Best Western Gateway Grand
Best Western Gateway Grand
#4 of 44 in Gainesville
DoubleTree by Hilton Gainesville

Been to Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!