Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$39
Quality Inn(Gainesville)
US$134
QualityInn
US$166
WoodSpring Suites Gainesville I-75(Gainesville)(Great Value!)
US$89
Travelocity
US$122
EconoLodge
Priceline
All reviewsantique shopsb bcross creekcarriage housepump houseold floridaclaw foot tubrose roombreakfast was deliciousspanish mossfresh baked cookiesupstairs verandaflorida townboth morningslate arrivalthird floorshort drive
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Had a wonderful experience staying at Herlong Mansion this past weekend. The Mansion is in excellent condition, very clean, comfortable bed, lovely choice of rooms--hard to make a decision as to which room to stay in. Friendly staff. Quiet and peaceful and lovely grounds. Walking distance to the antique shops and eateries.
This is a "Must-Stay Place" you will love it. A taste of Old Florida.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MaryAnne E
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My wife and I spent a lovely weekend at the Herlong Mansion B&B and came away with nothing but the best feelings. Our lovely hostess, Carolyn, made us feel welcome and comfortable. She and her staff were cheerful and accommodating. My wife and I spent a relaxing afternoon sipping ice tea and lemonade (provided by the Herlong as part of their normal hospitality) on a very comfortable swing chair on the second story veranda.

The mansion is decorated in antiques and has a wonderful old-Florida ambiance. A carafe of port is in the living room, and each night a wine is provided for the guests. My wife loved breakfast, which was a bit too Southern for my New York palate (I've never learned to enjoy grits).

Carolyn had given us the contact information for a massage therapy couple that came to our room and gave us one of the best massages either of us has ever had. Our room was charming and comfortable (after Carolyn made some adjustments to the climate control system, which requires resetting to go from heat to cool) and the jacuzzi was wonderful.

The town of Micanopy is as quaint as quaint can be. The Mosswood Farm Store and Bakehouse has a nice selection of locally made jams and their sour dough bread is to die for. There is a cafe where we had lunch, and where there always seems to be some good live bluegrass or country musicians playing for tips, and the ones we heard were quite good.

I'm a professional guitarist, and several of the shops are owned or run by guitarists, so I had some nice conversations while my wife shopped for chachkas. There was also an excellent guitar shop with top brands (including Martin and Guild) for great prices.

My wife and I can't wait to go back for our next visit!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RobertPhillips
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This was my second stay at the Herlong. Micanopy is a nice, quiet little get-away and the Herlong is the perfect place to stay. Different room on both visits but each was very nice and comfortable. Owner and staff are very friendly and helpful with suggestions about activities around there. Always fun meeting and talking to the other guest there as well.

Room Tip: Azalea room on the first floor was good for this trip with Mom who has some physical/health limitations. The bed was a little high for her and a bit of a challenge to get up on. Great room otherwise for those who may have some handicaps with large bathroom and shower access.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Betsy A
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We love the Micanopy - Cross Creek area of Florida, near Gainesville. As B & B lovers, we were excited to see what looked like a first-rate establishment, right in the heart of Micanopy, a lovely little "Old Florida" town. The Herlong is a nice place, with a beautiful exterior and lovely gardens. Unfortunately the interior is dark throughout, heavy on the original Victorian furnishings (which some will like), but also heavy on creaky beds, dour pictures of Herlong family members staring from all the walls, and a bathroom in the Oak Room featuring a sink that is about three feet off the floor (it's a 3rd floor room, so not handicap accessible) and a shower head that must have been picked up at a dollar store. Water sprayed everywhere, plus the temperature alternated between cold and scalding hot, right in the middle of my shower.

As some others have commented, breakfast was totally forgettable; just basic scrambled eggs served with bland-tasting grits, and a tiny piece of sausage. If you want half & half for coffee, bring it yourself, as only Coffee Mate was on offer. Come on, folks!

The Herlong was a disappointment, but the lodging options in Micanopy are limited, so I would not say we won't return someday. For the price, though, the proprietors could take some steps to improve on the little details (food, fixtures, etc.) that could make the Herlong a great place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joseph W
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thank you for appreciating the Gardens and Exterior of this Century Old building. The complete inside of this Historic building contains The Original Oak Wood Paneling, Quarter Sawn Oak Flooring and The Arts and Crafts Style Wood Staircase from 1910- This may be a bit too dark for some, as you state, but that is the nature of dark wood and retaining the original state of an historic property. Yes,too,the furnishings are Antiques in keeping with the date of this property and a squeak or two might occur in some of these hand made beautiful pieces of furniture. All the Herlong memorabilia and "dour" portraits are grouped in the second floor hallway, the rest of the walls have art work and original oil paintings. Our southern style breakfasts do feature scrambled Local Farm Fresh eggs and Creamy Grits made in milk (not water) seasoned salt with grated cheese stirred in - the sausages are preformed individual serving sizes- we also baked a breakfast fruit bread that was served with your breakfast. I'm sorry you found The Herlong Mansion offerings disappointing for the price- We try to offer a comfortable stay in an Historic setting in Florida's Oldest interior town including a full hot breakfast served in our dining room with fresh baked cookies and wine in the evening for a rate of $149.00 (yours was $159.00). The going rate in the area at the 2 closest chain Hotels (without breakfast or evening refreshments) start at $159.00 and $169.00. Perhaps you will come again, as you mentioned and give us a second chance to serve a breakfast more to your taste- and I know I have a modern king bed in our newly updated Carriage House you might prefer.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

The Herlong Mansion is exquisitely beautiful. It was like stepping back in time. We took a tour of the rooms and each one had it's own personality. The pictures on the website perfectly represented the mansion. The furnishing all seemed to be original to the house and have been beautifully cared for. We enjoyed looking at all of the old photos and letters that were framed on the walls. The upstairs veranda with the swings were very enjoyable. The outside grounds were also quite beautiful. My daughter cannot wait to go back for a visit. Thank you to Carolyn for being a very gracious host. Maybe Julio G would be better suited to a Super 8 Motel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family