“Herlong Mansion Honest Review” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Micanopy
Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Micanopy B&B and Inns
Florida
“Herlong Mansion Honest Review”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2006

It's a lovely property with delightful and very comfortable beds in a quaint town of Micanopy,Florida. (We saw quite a few rooms as the other guests had not arrived. )The third floor has one room without any windows! It's beautifully decorated, but small and claustrophobic.
We stayed in Mae's Room replete with a four poster bed.The old upholstered furniture needs to be vacuumed....especially the two red chairs. There was no real comfortable place to sit as the furniture was not really good for that. The bed was great! Very, very comfortable. The bathroom had a claw foot tub with a shower curtain if you just wanted that. I would suggest that their staff clean off the splatters of toothpaste on the wall directly next to the sink! There was also a glob of green, frothy stuff on the light.I can only hope it was some toothpaste. The small pictures in the bathroom need to be cleaned as well as the bathroom lamp.
We had requested a private "gourmet" dinner for two for $100.00. It was very disappointing. The physical area was lovely. It faces a beautiful garden.(I would recommend that the bird bath have water in it.) The table was set with candles.We were the only ones in the dining area. Our young waitress was sweet and helpful.I requested that the jazz music from the radio be lowered. It immediately was.
The first course was a very large platter of fruit, oven cooked brie and 12 small shrimps with cocktail sauce. The brie was delicious. The shrimp a little too warm for our taste and a bit droopy.The mandarin salad was very ordinary.. My husband enjoyed his minstrone soup. I chose a crab soup. They were fine. The main courses were not what we had hoped for. My salmon was dry. I didn't feel that the pork tenderloin was made that day! Both our vegetables (asparagus) were overly cooked with burned mushrooms and onions. The shocking buns that was served must have come from a Publix . Awful!
Desserts were yummy: keylime pie and freshly dipped strawberries with chocolate. The chocolate had just been dipped so it had not hardened. They only had a choice of a white Zinnfendel or a red wine. (The owner said, in the morning, there had been another white wine but they didn't know that!)
They could not bring us hot water for our tea.....twice! If you enjoy English breakfast tea, they don't have that.
The morning breakfast was very enjoyable.
I would recommend that anyone visiting kids at the University of Florida or Shands Hospital, stay in this property. It's a much better choice than all those usual hotels and only about a ten minute trip from Gainsville on I75. For the price, in my opinion, it's a better value as that full breakfast is included for 139.00. (Hilton was 119.00 with no breakfast.) I would just pass on the "gourmet" dinner for two.Take the time to meander around all the wonderful antique stores and enjoy the peace and quiet of sweet Micanopy.

Stayed August 2006
2 Thank eslmavin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2006

My wife surprised me with a trip to Micanopy and the Herlong B&B for my birthday two years ago. When asked this year what I would like to do, I said "Let's go there again". This time we went with two other couples and we all loved it. What a wonderful B&B. To sit in a rocking chair on the upper front porch, looking out over the quiet main street, spanish moss on the trees, lowers your blood pressure by 50 points.

In the evening, we went "down the road a piece" to eat at The Yearling in Cross Creek, returning home to sip a glass of sherry in the parlor. The next day we completed our weekend visit with a stop at the Marjorie Rawlings homestead.

This is a fantastic weekend getaway for Floridians, a glimpse of Old Florida. Or a spectacular overnight stop for you snowbirds passing through who want something different than yet another motel on I-75. If you're rushing off in the morning, though, you're going to miss a super delicious breakfast served up in the B&B.

Stayed June 2006
3 Thank cbchrc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2005

The Herlong is a beautiful mansion in the perfect location when you want to go somewhere to get away from it all. It is located in the heart of the historic town of Micanopy. There are many antique and specialty shops in the area. When you arrive, you will feel as if you have stepped back in time.

My husband and I have stayed at the Herlong a total of three times. The first time we were there was before we were married. I instantly fell in love with the place. I knew I wanted to get married there some day. A few years later, in April 2004, we did get married there! What a beautiful day. Linda and Mark, the innkeepers, and Christina, the manager went above and beyond to make sure our wedding day was perfect. We rented the entire place and were married on the grand front porch. Our family and friends stayed overnight with us and we all had the most delicious breakfast in the morning. Linda's french toast is to die for!!

That being said, we came back to the Herlong for our 1 year anniversary in April of this year. Yet again, the staff went above and beyond our expectations to make our day special. We rented the Carriage House, which is just to the side of the main house. It is a beautiful room, as are all the rooms in the mansion, but this one is secluded. When we arrived in our room, we had a bottle of chilled champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us, and a greeting from the staff. What a nice touch! We also planned a private candlelight dinner for that night. This is a special thing unique to this B&B, that you can arrange to have dinner right there in the dining room. They have a wonderful catering service that serves a five course meal for two for $100. You don't even have to leave the B&B for dinner! In the morning, Linda brought us breakfast in bed(upon our request). The breakfasts here are wonderful and filling!!

My husband and I will be returning to this B&B for many years to come.

6 Thank birdie987
Jupiter, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2005

This is a very lovely inn, and breakfast was wonderful! We had a chance to see many of the rooms (they were unoccupied and the doors were open) and they were beautiful. That said, we booked the budget room (VJ's Room), which, perhaps to be expected, was small, not very charming, and, unmentioned to us, windowless. But the porches with their swings were very nice and the innkeepers were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2004
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Nikki55
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2004

My husband and I were truly fortunate to be able to spend two nights at the Herlong Mansion during Hurricane Frances, when we had to evacuate from our home. The Herlong is a beautifully- restored and antique-filled 3-story mansion on several acres of Old Florida-style grounds.

The inn has numerous grand and intimate porches, as well as a flowering-vine-covered gazebo. Our room was on the third floor and had a claw-foot tub (in addition to a shower) and plenty of room for a writing desk, 2 chests-of-drawers, and two rocking chairs.

The innkeepers, Linda and Mark, could not have been more accomodating. Though they normally serve only breakfast, they served evacuees breakfast, lunch, and dinner during the hurricane, knowing their guests could not leave the inn for meals due to high winds. I cannot say enough about how helpful, organized, and cheerful they were, and I haven't had a better breakfast in many months! There was plenty of delicious food and they easily accomodated my vegetarianism. My husband (a major carnivore and low-carber) thought the breakfast was delicious, too.

Micanopy is a tiny (population about 700) historic town just 11 miles from Gainesville and the University of Florida. Micanopy has many restored houses and about 20 antique stores along the main street (Cholokka Boulevard). I highly recommend the Herlong to anyone looking for a taste of Old Florida (or to the many Gator fans looking for accomodations for the football games!).

5 Thank Kathleen M
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2004

I must say that staying at the Herlong Mansion was one of the best retreats I've been to. I had made all arangements by phone and was to arrive by 6pm. I made several antique stops on my way to Micanopy and was running really late. I called the manager at the mansion and he said he would leave the key for me. Everything was in place when I arrived. My room and bath were welcoming. I really savor the memories of my short stay there. I am going back same time this year and can't wait.I found the management to be extremely helpful and organized.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2003

Just wanted to let readers know that this wonderful bed and breakfast is under new ownership. It is a wonderful place to stay and the breakfast is superb. A lot of love goes into making sure your stay is a plesent one. I also got married at the Herlong back in the late 1980's and have seen many changes, but the latest are the best. You will not be disappointed.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Micanopy
Home2 Suites by Hilton Gainesville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gainesville
Howard Johnson Express Inn Gainesville FL
WoodSpring Suites Gainesville I-75
DoubleTree by Hilton Gainesville

Been to Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!