“wonderful, relaxing trip... staff was wonderful... Leslie from the Beach...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Micanopy
Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Micanopy B&B and Inns
brevard county
“wonderful, relaxing trip... staff was wonderful... Leslie from the Beach...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2010

We had a wonderful trip and stay at Helong Mansion. We enjoyed the relaxing atmospher, the very friendly, helpful staff. We especially enjoyed late afternoon on the front porch & balcony. It is a perfect compliment to the Micanopy community, which is very layed-back and friendly. Walking to down town is steps away, i'm taking my bike back, next trip. WE are planning to go back, with more family and make a long weekend trip out of it. We have small, well-behaved dogs that were also treated well.
It is old Florida living.. timeless and adorable:)!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2010

I decided to take an impromptu trip to visit Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings' Cross Creek home. As I was packing my car to leave from St. Simons Island, GA, my neighbors father encouraged me to visit Micanopy, and if possible, stay at the Herlong Mansion. I took his advise, and booked an overnight stay with the Wests. I was not disappointed. In fact, it turned out to be a memorable experience.

I was booked into the Oak Room and the claw-foot tub becokened. I watched the full moon from the second floor porch swing, and I fell asleep to the rustling of live oaks and magnolia leaves.

It is a perfect spot for a solo traveler. The staff was gracious, the breakfast delicious, and who can be anything but nourished by a beautiful mansion, moonlight and magnolias?

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KiKiManhattan, owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 2 April 2010
It really was a pleasure meeting you and having a nice conversation. I hope you come visit again soon.
gainesville, fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2010

Choosing the Herlong Mansion as the location of my wedding was the BEST decision I made! This quaint, historic bed& breakfast in the heart of Micanopy, Florida, was the perfect locale for my dream wedding. Its beautiful grounds provided the perfect, picturesque setting for our outdoor ceremony. Its vintage dining room was the sweetest spot for our intimate reception with family and friends. The staff was wonderfully attentive, helpful, and caring. They made the day flawless.

I would highly recommend the Herlong Mansion to anyone who wants to have a romantic getaway, relaxing weekend, or host a special event.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cnnolan
KiKiManhattan, owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 31 March 2010
It was a delight hosting your gorgeous Wedding and Reception. You all were lovely and we look forward to your return visit- perhaps to celebrate your First Anniversary.
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2010

Our stay at the Herlong was horrible.
My daughters wedding in all relation to the services that the Herlong provide was a disaster. The owner states that the caterer that they recommend is separate from the Herlong?I was told They are family.. I found this out the day after the wedding. This is why I am discussing both in the same review.
The catering looked as if one shopped at Sams club the morning before. Some of the Dishes were served out of foil throw away pans. The food for appetizers at a cost of 20$ per person was very poor. Not well made.
It was a mid afternoon wedding,reception/not lunch or dinner.

The Caterer /wedding planner left a table out due to the fact that the tent she recommended was to small. I had the family of the groom asking me where their assigned table was. Who would think the caterer/wedding planner just took it upon herself to leave it out and not inform us. She told me there are plenty of seats at other tables. So very unprofessional. The tables were labeled and assigned seating.. unthinkable-!!
The owner states it was 28 degrees the night before-the wedding. Why were there limitations on when they would light the fire place. No fire at night and it is 28 degrees this was due to the fact the staff goes home and no one is there to tend to it. The owners were not friendly in any way. There is suppose to be fresh cookies? None that I found . Wine in the evening? not that I saw.
She was rude to claim guests were drunk.Guests mostly family were upset and angry..the wedding concluded early.This was a small gathering of 48 people,mostly family and wedding party!! 24 people occupying rooms at the Herlong.
There is a noise ordinance that keeps things quiet after 9pm.
My sister who flew in from Oregon was not allowed to go in the Herlong becouse she stayed at a Hotel and was not a paying guest!? Even though we were charged per person by the Herlong for people at the wedding and we booked the entire Herlong.She felt very unwanted sitting in the front room. She did not feel welcome to tour the Mansion.
Anyone that was not a paying guest was not allowed in.

Breakfast was served by a man in sweat pants . Very poor taste.
Breakfast was a casserole, something I would bring to a swim meet to feed the coaches , quick and easy! Not what you would hope for at a B and B. The second morning breakfast was Worse! Stuffed French Toast casserole.
So sweat I could not eat it.
My daughter/Our Family reserved the entire B and B for 2 nights and the owner has the nerve to say low budget .
I was trying to pack the car in the early AM after the wedding due to the fact that check out is at 11AM. The room where the flowers and live ivy plants were stored was left very neat and cleaned the night before by the Bride and Groom. As I was packing the car in the morning the owner and 2 other people came in to do Yoga. I quickly moved everything out of the room out side due to the fact i was being ushered out.. The flowers were valuable and done by her friend that is a Florist as a gift. The owner helped by dumping things out onto the walkway, Very Rudely.

My room The Magnolia Room was very dark and stuffey as noted by a previous review. The mirrors in the bathroom and lighting were sub standared for preparing for a wedding as was the shower in the claw foot tub.
The janitors going through the mansion in the morning as everyone was getting ready for the potagrapher was very troublesome. This could have been done when everyone was out side and ready for the wedding (out of the way) . The owner did not in any way attempt to create a nice atmasphere considering the ocassion.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank rkmcmillenart
Yes, the Mother is correct-The Herlong is not the appropriate place for a loud drunken free-for-all culminating in a late night chair throwing. This was no mid-afternoon event - it began around 5PM and continued out in the Long Hall until 11PM (way past the 9PM curfew) .The caterers stayed throughout the night even setting up a new table of food for them in the Long Hall at no extra charge hoping to sober them up a bit. When it became really late the caterers told them the party must finish and that is when chairs were thrown at the caterer. The Mother is also correct that Only Appetizers were selected to be served- No Dinner was ordered even though this was an evening affair continuing into the night. The Brides Budget was $20.00 a head and she selected the menu and appetizers that were served.
This reviewer also states incorrectly that the caterer and I are related- We are not. I was born and raised in Manhattan. I moved up here after living in Key West where my husband and I owned and operated an Inn for 11 years. The caterer has lived and catered professionally in the Gainesville area since 1985 moving here from Amelia Island . Among her personal clients are John McCain (for an affair held here at the Herlong) Jeb Bush and the late Lawton Chiles. The Caterer also caters for functions at the University of Florida, Shands Hospital ,Benefit Dinners for the American Heart Association, American Cancer Society and Santa Fe College.
No throw away aluminum trays were used for the Reception- Only china, silver, glass and professional grade chafers and serving trays. Perhaps for the after hours late night second food set-up in the Long Hall when the food that had been wrapped to be taken home was set out in their "to go" container as a courtesy.
Breakfast is prepared every morning by our chef from a variety of recipes and as the bride indicated in her review below her father asked for seconds so we are pleased that he enjoyed his Breakfast.
For obvious reasons we cannot leave the fire going in the fireplace unattended at night. A fresh fire was built early the next morning.
The Herlong extended a discounted rate of $40.00 a room in order to help with the Low Budget restrictions. The Long Hall was not cleaned up the night before necessitating my assistance in removing the garbage, boxes and floral debris the next morning.
Our electrician (not a janitor) arrived at 10AM and was departed long before the arrival of the photographer - he in no way interfered with the afternoon/evening event.
It would be unprofessional to identify which family member threw the chairs, which family member yelled expletives for him to stop, which family member threw-up in the parking lot slumping down a car- We are prefer hosting peaceful events and agree with the Mother that the atmosphere created was not nice.
Northern VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2010

I would like to confirm other reviews on this site about the horrible service at a dear friend's wedding this past year. While the management of the Herlong tried to blame the caterer for the problems, there were several issues that were certainly not under the jurisdiction of the caterer.

First of all, the staff of the hotel was rude to the bridal party on several occasions. Secondly, the temperature of the rooms was horrible (freezing on one side of the hotel and boiling hot on the other). In relation to this problem, the staff decided that the appropriate moment to fix the heat problem in the rooms was when the bridal party was trying to get dressed for photos, thus disrupting a special moment and throwing everyone into confusion. The downstairs bathroom (for which the bride & groom paid extra) was out of service during the reception. The room in which the bridal party was supposed to arrange flowers was also taken over by a yoga class on the morning of the wedding without prior notice, which resulted in putting the wedding behind schedule and having to abandon some of the flower arrangements. Finally, the manager responded extremely negatively to suggestions for improvement.

The manager's response on this site to another reviewer (bestly) who was also in the wedding party is primarily false. The bride and groom did not enjoy the service or their wedding (as all of their friends know). The manager's insinuation that we (the bridal party) didn't like the bride & groom's choices is absurd and cowardly. As a member of the bridal party, I supported the bride and groom's choices and knew about most of them ahead of time. What I and other guests criticized was the Herlong staff's inferior service when it came to honoring the requests made by the bride & groom. In terms of the "verbal abuse" to which the manager alludes, guests expressed their dissatisfaction with the catering service. It was warranted. The service was poor. The manager indicates that guests should "keep their opinions to themselves when attending a wedding." This is practically an acknowledgment of poor service. She simply doesn't want our opinions to be heard.

My sister is in hotel management, so I have had the opportunity to learn a lot about this profession. The management of the Herlong is by far the most disorganized, unpleasant, inefficient staff that I have ever experienced. The bride and groom wanted to be married there because they had enjoyed their stay in the past under a different staff and manager. The new management is shameful. They made the bride cry on several occasions, and caused the groom stress to no end, which was painful to behold on what was supposed to be the happiest day of their lives. Unless you want your wedding to be stressful and upsetting to everyone involved, please don't have it here!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Loudouner
KiKiManhattan, owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 28 March 2010
So much Love and attention go into making the Herlong a Peaceful Oasis that it is heartbreaking to read this continuing negativity from the same group of people. This wedding event was held back in December- Please read my response to "This was once a place of romance..." and "A ruined wedding".
I can assure you that No Staff member was ever rude- They stoically took abusive behavior and were even thanked by family members for "putting up with our ****"- this sort of unsavory language usage was prevalent.
The temperature in the Mansion was difficult to acclimate in the wake of a record freeze (28 degrees weather) on the first night. We set all thermostats at their warmest level but the next morning when we were told that not all the rooms were comfortable we immediately had the electrician come out to stabilize the system (10 AM). No one was disrupted for more than the few moments necessary to check the warm air flow from the vents in the rooms -all other servicing was done in the Hallways.
The bride and groom did not Pay Extra for guests to use the downstairs bathroom located in the Mansion as this is never an option. Only Registered Guests are allowed in the Mansion. The Long Hall is where the 2 bathroom facilities are located for all other guests to use while attending an event. The bride also had full access to the Long Hall from the moment she arrived the day before her wedding (and at all hours including at night) to assemble her floral arrangements and party favors except for the one hour we have Yoga in the Morning (from 8:30-9:30AM during the time that breakfast is served.) My staff helped the caterers carry all the table settings, floral arrangements out to the reception
Actually, it was the caterer who suggested that guests should keep their opinions to themselves because she felt their remarks were hurting the brides feelings.
We welcome all helpful suggestions as we are continuously striving to please all our guests who come to visit us.
Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2010

I've never posted before, but after the wedding experience I had at this venue I thought it would only be responsible to inform anyone considering the HERLONG mansion as a venue of my experience.

I should preface by saying that the Herlong has long been a place of great significance to me. My husband and I spent our first anniversary there, we were engaged there, and now, we have been married there. We have visited the Herlong under two different owners, and I'm heartbroken to say that the place simply isn't what it used to be. The house, once a beautiful place in our memories, is now the site of anger, frustration, and disappointment. The most heart-breaking thing is that what was once a site of romance has been ruined by our experience. Our only hope is that the current owners will retire, and someone new will take over the Bed and Breakfast.

I was married at the Herlong. I would NOT recommend anyone else getting married there. Here's why:

- Primarily, the business owners were unable to give my husband and I a proper receipt for anything as we were leaving. There was some concern over a book keeping error on the part of the owner, and we were worried we were overcharged for several rooms. The best that was offered to us was a handwritten note explaining what was paid for – positively unacceptable. This seems an egregious oversight on the part of any business and it is symptomatic of the issues we experienced at the Herlong throughout our stay.

- The unprofessional attitude of the staff affected my family and friends. As a bride, the last thing you EVER want to hear is the caterer and the hotel owner sitting in the LIVING ROOM of the mansion talking negatively about your guests. Unacceptable.

- Furthermore, the night before my wedding, there was a housekeeping issue with the heating. Half of the house was sweltering hot, half freezing cold. This in an of itself certainly isn't anyone's fault. HOWEVER, the owner called maintenance to come and fix it the morning of my wedding. This meant that as my wedding party was trying to get ready and dressed for the wedding they were ushered out of their rooms so that heaters could be fixed. I'm sorry, but when you are renting the ENTIRE house, they can schedule their maintenance issues so as not to conflict with the wedding. There were no other guests in the house, and it was inexcusable in my mind that my bridesmaids couldn't get showers because there were men that wouldn't leave their bathrooms.

- The breakfast also provided moments of grief. Billed by the owner on tripadvisor as a "country breakfast" in a "peaceful oasis", we were served by a sweaty man in a dirty t-shirt and inapropriate sweatpants on our second morning. I saw my father attempt to get himself a cup of coffee as his cup was empty, and the man scolded him and told him to sit down. My father asked for a second piece of ham and he was told that he only paid for one serving and that was all he got. The breakfasts are quite small, particularly for "hungry men", and to be treated that way over coffee and a piece of ham was abhorrent.

- There also seemed to be a complete and total lack of communication between the coordinating staff members. For instance, I was told by the caterer/wedding planner that when you pay for a wedding at the Herlong you pay for access to the long hall. We were told we could set up all of our things there and work through the night and day if we needed. I moved thousands of dollars worth of supplies and flowers into that room only to find out after that TWICE a day there was a yoga class held there. This not only meant that all of my things were completely accessible to perfect strangers, it also meant that I was ushered out of there the morning of my wedding for an hour while my then fiance and I were finishing bouts, bouquets, table settings, etc. This added unexpected stress to that morning, and I found it unbelievable rude that I wasn't told of this from the start.

- The owner herself, was seemingly oblivious to the concerns that my husband and I had and were trying to express to her. She has, and I'm sure will continue, to pass the buck and blame the caterering staff, the maintenance staff, ANY other staff but her. I fully expect a response to this post after tripadvisor displays it. I have a variety of problems with the caterer as well, but that's not the subject of this post. What shocks me, is that as a buisness owner she was utterly unwilling to recognize that she might be doing something amiss. She was the one who orchestrated when the maintenance staff would arrive, she was the one who couldn't give us a receipt for our stay and wedding bill, she was the one who strongly recommended the caterer, and ultimately SHE is the owner of this establishment. I was shocked, and utterly disappointed. I was not pleased with the service, the responsibility, or the accountability of this establishment.

Finally, recently I looked on tripadvisor. There are six "terrible" reviews five of them since 2008. It seems clear that we are not the only individuals highly disappointed by the current owners. They added drama, tension, and fighting to a day that is supposed to be the most memorable celebration in your life. After a year of planning, and a year of anticipation, it is a struggle to overlook the horrible things that I submitted my family and friends to by choosing to be married at the Herlong. The service there ruined my memories of the mansion, and they effectively ruined my wedding.

To anyone in Central Florida looking for a venue, I put one of my bridesmaids up in the Sweet Water Branch Inn in Gainesville. It is only 15 minutes from the Herlong, and my friend said it was beautiful. Furthermore, I spoke with the reception staff on several occasions and they were professional, kind, and more than willing to work with me when changes needed to be made. If you are looking for a B&B style wedding in that area, they might just be the place to go.

Thanks for listening, and congrats to all those still in the planning process! I hope your wedding is everything that mine, unfortunately, was not!

• Stayed December 2009
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank soupgirl25
KiKiManhattan, owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 25 March 2010
We are a Beautiful Gracious Inn that tries hard to please all our guests. Many weddings are held here and they are lovely gentle affairs. We gave incredible discounts to this couple as they were unable to afford our regular rates and they had their hearts set on having their wedding held here- even taking out a Student Loan to pay for this event.
- I did provide the Groom with the Printed Invoice but he could not understand how to break it down so on Three Seperate Occasions I went over the Invoice with him and Hand Wrote for him which rooms all his guests staid in -which rooms they paid for and which rooms their guests paid for and All the Discounts given for the rooms to show where their savings were because the computer is only able to print out the total prices with taxes. The "Book Keeping Error" on my part was that I overlooked charging for one of their rooms and told him I would not charge him for it. I was then made to Sign the Invoice stating that I would not be charging them for anything else- This was a first for me.
-Excessive Alcohol Consumption leading to verbally abusive behavior to my staff necessitated my having to take my girls aside on numerous occassions in order to console and reassure them as well as thank them for their continuing professional demeanor in the face of such low calibur behavior. The Caterer and I did have a meeting on how we should handle this situation as her crew was being assaulted as well by the drunken boorish behavior.
-We had a record cold front with the temperature plummeting to 28 degrees so I "orchestrated" our electrician to come over immediately-which he did- that morning to make sure everyone would be comfortable. This occurred around 10 AM and No One was ushered out of their room- the controls are in the Hallways and only the vents in the rooms had to be quickly checked for warm air flow- No work was done in the rooms themselves and certainly not in Bathrooms.
-The Staff does everything they can to ensure a comfortable stay and on this particular 28 degrees morning that meant going out in the cold, chopping and bringing in wood and making a Roaring Fire for the guests so they would be warm- Yes, he wore Sweat Pants because it was 28 degrees and those were his warmest pants (and a Polo shirt ,not a t-shirt). I also know that the wait staff always tries to refill the guests empty cup of coffee when they see someone trying to get up and get it for themselves. Every Morning we prepare a certain amount of food for breakfast and if there are no leftovers we are unable to provide seconds. I can assure you that no guest has ever been told "you only paid for one serving and that's all you get".
-The use of the Long Hall is included on the day of the event and the room may be used for storage the day before.This bride had access to it for 3 days. We have Yoga in the Morning from 8:30-9:30 for the1 hour during which Breakfast is served. On the morning of their departure I was needed to help remove the vast amount of garbage, food, floral debris and branches they had left scattered throughout the room. Had a florist been hired to make the bouquets and table settings (which is the norm) this would not even have been an issue but once again they were cutting costs.
-If you look closely you will find that the six "terrible" reviews are written by people with money issues. If you cannot afford to stay here please do not come. Our rates are clearly posted and include the Breakfast. We are in a rural area and make no pretense to being anything other than a peaceful quiet retreat from the hectic world.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2010

Our room was lovely. Besides the bathroom/shower there is a step-up tub in a windowed alcove in the room (Internet in-room also) and the bed and zillion-count sheets was so-o-o comfortable. Breakfast in the Oak room was delicious—eggs, sausage, pear in puff pastry, juice and coffee. We look forward to our return.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank artdesi
Thank you for complimenting the Oak Room and submitting the lovely picture of the Clawfoot Tub. We are pleased you found the bedding s-o-o comfortable -the Breakfast delicious and had no problem accessing the Wireless Internet. This is the same room that the reviewer below found "very disappointing".
Thank you for visiting us and come agin soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Micanopy
Home2 Suites by Hilton Gainesville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gainesville
Howard Johnson Express Inn Gainesville FL
WoodSpring Suites Gainesville I-75
DoubleTree by Hilton Gainesville

Been to Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!