“Good Place for a Great Price”

Howard Johnson Inn Tallahassee/Midway
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Midway
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Good Place for a Great Price”
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I was very impressed by this hotel. It is close to I-10, easy on and off, and the room was very nice for the price--clean and quiet. What we liked most, however, was the friendliness and good service provided by the staff, both at the front desk and helping at breakfast the next morning. I would stay again! The only downside is that there is not much to chose from for dinner close by, although there are some places about three miles away. I advise travelers to stop and eat first, before travelling on to the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank nan m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
steinhatchee florida
Reviewed 26 March 2012

First off I'll start out with the positives.The room was great, and the entire establishment was well kept for a $60 hotel. However, In the middle of the night two alley cats lept onto my wife and I as we slept. Apparantly they had snuck into the room and had been living underneath the bed for god knows how long. The owner refunded our money and gave us another room, much to our satisfaction. In the morning, the continental breakfast was adequate, the waffles at this HoJo however tasted like the owner put way too much flour into the waffle mix. I've stayed at a lot of hojos and the waffles were way better. Overall though, the experience was fine.

Room Tip: check under the bed for feral cats before you go to bed!!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mike d
Telluride, Colorado
Reviewed 28 November 2011

The guest room was adequate for a quick 1 night stay. It was clean, but noticed a few cob-webs. We arrived after 12:30am and left by 9:30am. I called the Front Desk to please call a cab for me. They did so. At check-out, the FD staff offered coffee and a selection of pastry even though we had clearly missed the cut-off for the continental breakfast...and they did this of their own accord...we did not ask. I was impressed. They engaged us in conversation and seemed genuinely interested in taking care of us. We were thanked for our stay and encouraged to come again if we were in the area. We happened to be arriving in Tallahassee on a really busy homecoming weekend...so our choices were few. We stayed here more out of chance than seeking out this property. Arrival Friday Nov 18. Rm 226. ♦

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank mbtelluride
Fort lauderdale
Reviewed 15 November 2011

The hotel was very comfortable however the walls are pretty thin and one night the TV in the room next to us was blaring all night long. The room was spacious and had a fridge and microwave which is always convenient. I am not sure what to tell you about location, as far as going to the FSU stadium is concerned, it’s not that far, it is right off of I-10. We did not spend too much time in the hotel since we were out all day for a college football game. Breakfast in the morning was ok, nothing much to brag about but I will say that I loved making my own waffles in the morning!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Audreybella
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I booked a non-smoking room through Hotels.com. I read a review that said to double check with the hotel as sometimes even though you request a preference, it does not always get booked that way. Sure enough...I was booked with a smoking room. There were no available non-smoking rooms for that weekend as it was an FSU football game weekend. I checked in frequently for cancellations. The staff was so nice and accommodating. I was finally given a non-smoking room the night before my stay. Very clean hotel, good breakfast food, and close to FSU.

Room Tip: Make sure if you book the room through means other than directly with the hotel that you call right...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Natalie M
Jacksonville,Florida
Reviewed 10 December 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel for 3 nights while attending a training class at a local community college. I would describe my experience here as generally positive for a few evenings, bearing in mind that this hotel is geared for the short term interstate traveler.

The room I was assigned was clean and comfortable. It appeared to have been well maintained. It had cable tv, a cold refrigerator, a microwave, a comfortable bed, and a decent bathroom. The heater/AC unit worked great and the room was warmed up nicely. It also had wireless internet for my laptop and great cell phone reception, which I cannot get when staying further from the interstate near Quincy.

The staff/employees at the front desk were very friendly and appeared to really cater to the guest’s needs. It seems like there are regular travelers who stay at this hotel when passing through the area, including some truckers, and the staff really seemed to take care of them. I was impressed by how friendly they were.

The breakfast in the lobby was not the greatest, but not the worst for a free breakfast. The coffee was hot and fresh (Foldgers) and the hotel staff had no problem allowing me to fill my travel mug. There was also fresh fruit, bagels, and a waffle iron where you could make a waffle. I stuck with fruit and coffee, and thought it was pretty decent. Obviously there is no room service, but there is a Denny's colocated in the truck plaza directly across the street from this hotel.

There is a very small gym in a room adjoining the lobby with a treadmill, elliptical, and stair machine. I didn’t try any of them, but they looked ok. This same room also houses a courtesy computer for guests who need to use it. I don’t think most of the guests would have time to use the gym here. There is no pool or other recreational activities, but this hotel is geared more towards interstate travelers who probably would not have time to use the pool anyway.

There is plenty of parking for semi trucks, campers/rv’s, and regular vehicles. In most cases you could park your vehicle directly adjacent to your door at the hotel.

I had a great stay at this hotel for its intended purpose. I wouldn’t stay here to “get away” like staying at a resort, but this hotel is not geared for that type of travel.

There were a few minor negative issues during my stay. The internet was down one evening, which affected my ability to login to my work computer. However, I contacted the manager the next day and they fixed the problem immediately. Also, you can definitely hear noise form the interstate in your room, but the hotel is located directly adjacent to the interstate, so that is to be expected. This hotel is slightly older by design, so the doors all face outward towards the exterior of the building.

Overall, it’s a decent place to stay and a great value for the price. The positive and helpful attitude of the hotel managers and employees made a huge difference. It is ideal for a business traveler or quick stay in the area.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank gd3
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 9 November 2010

The other reviews were accurate about the location. No restaurants within walking distance other than Denny's across the busy highway. Price was great and the room was large and relatively clean, but was starting to show wear and tear for only being a year old! Having just covered 4000 miles through the US and staying in various motel chains enroute, their breakfast ranks as the worst to date. If you don't like 2 varieties of corn flakes, you're out of luck for breakfast cereal. The bagel was so stale I couldn't cut it to put in the toaster. The only non-sugar laden items were apples and bananas. On the plus side, the front-desk staff were friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gypsyfor2
HojoinnMidwayFL, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Inn Tallahassee/Midway, responded to this review, 1 April 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Express Inn – Midway for your recent stay in our area. Thank you for the nice thing you said about our front desk staff. It is exactly what we would expect of them, but it is always nice to hear.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon the receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) The front desk was notified of the nice remark you made about them.

2) The breakfast staff received additional training in presenting a proper breakfast.

I hope that the next time you visit in our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Express Inn – Midway. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Midway
Country Inn and Suites By Carlson Midway Florida
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Tallahassee
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#33 of 58 in Tallahassee

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Tallahassee/Midway? Share your experiences!