“Enjoyed every moment”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Selborne
Sydney
“Enjoyed every moment”
Reviewed 12 January 2013

We stumbled across the Queens and were delighted with the accomodation, service and food. The atmosphere was warm and the rooms were tastefully decorated. I loved the Queen themed rooms and detailed finishes. The staff were very nice ad the kitchen accommodated our children with simple meals that weren't even on the menu. Loved it.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2013

We thought we'd give this place a try as its fairly local to us. I have to say that the price is just ludicrous for the quality of the food and the service, it is after all just a pub but from the prices charged they appear to believe they are a top London eaterie! I'm not saying the food is bad, I would say its average to good but you'll get a bill that'll make your eyes water!

I went through to the bar to get drinks before and during the meal and yet they add 10% service charge to my bill!! What service have they actually provided then? other than what you would expect, and irrespective of that why add a service charge anyway... You're a pub!

This place seriously has delusions of grandeur... Never again

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We have eaten as a couple at the Queens on many occasions previously and although it is pricey, the food was exceptional, and therefore worth paying for. In light of this we booked a table for my mother in law's Birthday and were very disappointed. The menu has changed so that you are now forced to pay £24 for 2 courses or £30 for 3, there are no other options than a very limited fixed priced menu. My 7 year old daughter could not eat anything as it was either heavily drenched in vinagrette or had alcohol based sources and so we ended up spending £24 for her to have a slice of chocolate tart, as they are not really able to alter the portions or type of food for children. My daughter is far from a "nuggets and chips" sort of child but neither is she, like most children, able to stomach something like foie gras. We were disappointed that there was no one playing the piano and that even though we were obviously celebrating an occasion, no special effort was made for my mother in law. Lovely for a special meal for two adults when you want to push the boat out but I dislike just being offered 4 starters, mains and desserts and being forced to pay a fixed price rather than having options.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2012

The food was truly first-class. The best cote de boeuf and tarte au citron I have ever tasted, and I used to live in Paris. A good wine cellar and well-kept cask-conditioned ale also impressed, as did the deli next door. And very reasonably priced for the quality of the fayre.

The location is also wonderful, right in the heart of Selborne - the quintisential Hampshire rural idyl.

The guest rooms were for the most part very well presented. But in my opinion the Suite needs to be re-branded as a family room. It was not really what my wife and I were expecting, and I was slightly disappointed that it cost us £40 more than the other rooms we booked for family members, which all had bath-tubs when the Suite only had a shower cubicle. Perhaps it would be an idea for the management to make this clearer on their website and on the online booking sites?

But overall, we all agreed that The Queens at Selborne was the perfect venue for my wife's surprise 40th birthday, and I should like to thank the owners and staff for making it a special and memorable occasion.

Donc, merci bien pour une soiree exceptionelle!

A la prochaine..!

Room Tip: If you are staying as a couple, book one of the double rooms priced at £85. They will prove to be mo...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2012

I recently met my Sister at The Queens in Selborne for lunch and would definitely recommend it. The bar and restaurant are tastefully decorated, there's a lovely atmosphere and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful providing a high chair and heating my babies lunch. We had a lovely club sandwich followed by a delicious, decadent, dark chocolate tart (highly recommended!!!). We spent a couple of very relaxed hours catching up on the comfy sofas in the bar in front of a roaring fire and even managed to squeeze in a bit of Christmas shopping at the deli (where they'll make up lovely Christmas hampers while you wait) before heading home. I'd definitely recommend The Queens and hope to return and stay so I can try the dinner menu and enjoy a few drinks in front of the fire next time

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Antigua
Reviewed 4 December 2012

It's been over 15 years since I have been back to the uk in chilly November and I stayed at this lovely little pub. The beautiful warm fire in both the bar and the lounge made me feel very cosy. The owner Erick is charming and hands on.
This was a return visit for me to the queens as I was here in July with my three small children, which they catered for very well. The rooms are spacious and tastefully decorated, in fact the best sleep I've had for awhile.
The homemade croissants were just Devine and there's nothing better than a good cup of coffee first thing in the morning.
I highly recommend the club sandwich for lunch followed by a nice big slice on chocolate tarte and I don't even know where to start with the dinner menu... Between the perfectly cooked sole or the fabulous rare cote du boeuf I can't choose.
The barman Dave in very friendly and will quickly mixed you up your preferred cocktail. Hendricks gin and tonic with cucumber....
I highly recommend The Queens ten out on ten. Looking forward to my next visit.

Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Blondieantigua
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I stayed at The Queen's this summer with my family and we all had a wonderful time. I can't praise it high enough. The rooms were excellent, the food was just the best, couldn't ask for better and the over all ambience was superb. I would not hesitate to recommend this wonderful Hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Selborne
Alton House Hotel
Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
The Swan Hotel
The Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Alresford

Been to The Queens at Selborne? Share your experiences!