“Beware the service charge!!!”

The Queens at Selborne
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Selborne
Petersfield, United Kingdom
“Beware the service charge!!!”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I took a foreign business colleague here for dinner because it is a lovely village and the Queens Head always looked appealing when passing.

The menu is quite small but this is fine if it is all seasonal and well cooked. Some of the dishes are way overpriced, scallops for £7.95 when all you get a two very small scallops is stretching it!

We ordered the steak with black pudding which was nicely cooked, but aside from mash it isn't served with any vegetables, strange!

What really annoyed me is it is a village pub/restaurant with one young lady serving, who did an OK job, but they have the audacity to automatically add a 10% service charge! This frustrates me because when you are in company it is not nice to start asking for it being taken off, and I am sure this is what they rely on, so I for one will not be returning because there are many other better establishments in the area, The Thomas Lord, The Hurdles, The Pub With No Name, who do not adopt this distasteful practice!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ChrisNicholson1967

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Queens for a quiet weekend away from the city. The inn is situated in a wonderful little village and its surrounded by bush walks. The room we had a good size and it was tastefully appointed. The restaurant serves amazing authentic French cuisine, I had the duck and it was superb. The staff were friendly and professional. Try the wonderful beer garden on a sunny day or go for a walk to the ponds situated behind the inn. Otherwise relax in a nice setting with a cold beer.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Simon H
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We happened upon this village and decided to stay at Queens and I am so glad that we did.

The rooms are big and beautifully decorated. The bathrooms have huge roll-top baths.

But here's the main thing - THE FOOD IS INCREDIBLE. You have to visit this place and eat, even if you can't get a room.

Can't wait to go back!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Philipstorey
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from a weekend break visiting friends and the Jane Austen house etc. The Queens is absolutely brilliant. A small family run operation with huge attention to detail. The owner Erick Chobert was very gracious and made us all feel really special. The staff are brilliant. Always available but never in your face. The setting is wonderful in a beautiful English village with a sunny garden and seconds away from great walks.
The place itself is warm and welcoming with many areas to be private or be social. The bed was really comfortable (a good night's sleep is a must for me), the menu was eclectic and the food delicious.
I would recommend this place in a heartbeat.
I will definitely return but would recommend early booking as there are only about 5 rooms and I don't want to miss out.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Antilles57
Midhurst, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I went here to meet some family and friends for a long awaited catch up and we were certainly glad that we chose this venue as our place to meet. From the moment we stepped through the door we were made to feel special by the staff. Our food was wonderful, the service was first class and Eric the owner couldn't of done more to make us feel welcome. I will certainly be recommending this place to all my friends.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Teresa A
Haslemere, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

One of about 20 pubs/restaurants in the area I tried to book for mothers day a week in advance. The Queeens was the only venue that could take us in that short a notice. Now I know why.
– The vegetables had clearly been sitting around waiting to be plated up for most of the morning. The beef was overcooked. Yorkshires doughy and wet. It was edible, just very mediocre.
– Service was inattentive. Staff walked past, heads down so you could never catch their eye. Cutlery wasn't brought out, plates werent taken away, we werent asked for more drinks or if the food was ok. The basics!
– On a brighter note, it is a lovely looking place. I suggest waiting till summer and just use the pub garden.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank IanRH2014
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

In a nutshell, not value for money. BLT sandwich more fat than bacon. Tables were very cramped an you felt you were sitting with the people on the next table. You could certainly hear every conversation. Would not return to this establishment.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Cheryl D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Selborne
Alton House Hotel
#1 of 3 in Alton
Travelodge Alton Four Marks
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course

Been to The Queens at Selborne? Share your experiences!