“Great opportunity to interact with and help wild horses, food for the soul.”

Wild Horse Rescue Center
Ranked #5 of 7 things to do in Mims
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Wild Horse Rescue Center rescues and rehabilitates abused and neglected horses of the breed mustang. Wild mustangs are rounded up and then sold - while completely wild. We rescue, nurse them back to health, socialize and train them so they can be adopted. Visitors will get a hands on experience with these horses through socializing, lunch and a trail ride. We have about 30 horses at any point.
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great opportunity to interact with and help wild horses, food for the soul.”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

It is a privilege and honor to be a sponsor of this wild horse rescue. Diane is probably the most experienced and leading expert on wild mustangs in Florida. You can learn so much from her. I love to visit whenever I can. With all the horses, pigs, ducks, cats, et cetera, it is like Dr. Doolittle's Farm. A visit with these beautiful horses and animals will leave you humbled and inspired. It is also a nice change to leave the beach and experience a rural part of Florida. WHRC is also close to the biggest major attractions in Florida, Cape Canaveral, the Space Coast and the theme parks in Orlando, et cetera, and minutes away from the beaches.

Visited July 2013
6 Thank blondejayne59

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great horses and great people, a place to remember.”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I stayed at the center for three weeks to volunteer as an international learning experience for high school. I've had the most amazing time. Being around these horses gives you an opportunity to calm down and the center has a very relaxing atmosphere. It's special to see some of the new horses that are very sensitive and how they're treated in a gentle and positive way. I was also amazed when I saw pictures of some of the horses when they came into the centre and when they came out, Diane is a passionate woman who puts a lot of effort in her work and this shows!
As an international volunteer I have been taken in in the most hospitable way, for which I'm very thankful. I've also gotten the opportunity to discover Florida, these people know the best places to take you to! If you're staying for a long time, get ready to discover some beautiful nature and wildlife.
I would certainly recommend anyone with a love for animals to visit the Wild Horse Rescue Center, the center can always use support and for you it'll be a wonderful experience!

Visited May 2013
3 Thank Veerle_2013
Pinellas Park, Florida
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great Place for Horse Lovers”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I brought my daughter and granddaughter with me to Wild Horse Rescue Center. The volunteers there were very friendly and Diane is very knowledgeable. There was a mini that my granddaughter fell in love with. The horses are beautiful.

Spend a couple hours or spend a day, you won't regret it. It is fun to talk "horse talk" with horse lovers.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank R F
Sheridan, Montana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Mustang Horses in Florida”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

It is my pleasure to highly recommend a visit to the Wild Horse Rescue Center in Mims, Florida, not far from Cocoa Beach. Take part of a day, get away from the usual tourist attractions, and meet Diane and her team. The wild mustang horse is part of our American heritage, and these folks do a great service rescuing mustangs in need. During my most recent visit, we met at a nearby state forest, saddled up and rode through some pristine terrain. This is a chance to see and learn about the real Florida. If you're fond of horses, you will not soon forget your visit. You might even become a sponsor or a volunteer once you learn about this awesome place.

Visited March 2013
4 Thank Tom R
Titusville, FL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Mustangs!”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I volunteered at the Wild Horse Rescue Center for 2 years and I am so impressed with Diane Delano and the work that she does with these Mustangs. In addition to volunteering I have gone on trail rides with Diane and her Mustangs - it is so inspiring to see these horses, some of them have been abused, but they do so well under Diane's care. Bring you camera and your desire to help out horses in need and you will not be disappointed. Go visit - help out - and learn about the wonderful wild Mustangs. BTW - I now own a Mustang named Cherokee and he is the best!!!

Visited January 2013