“They're trying, but this hotel needs work.”

Budget Lodge of Mount Dora
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Mount Dora
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We had a reservation for a room with king bed but found the plumbing under the vanity to be leaking on to the floor in the bathroom. The only room they could move us to was one next to the laundry with two double beds.

This is a old hotel that I would guess was originally built in the 60's and is in need of lots of work. Price is very low so I guess you do get what you pay for. Rooms have stucco walls that at the very least need cleaning or a paint job. Every plugin is used for lamps, microwave, alarm clock, fridge, etc. Furniture is very aged.

Outdoor pool is very nice and very well kept up. Quite a positive contrast to the condition of many other things.

Owners are very, very nice and appear to be trying to update units as they are able to but there's so much to be done that it's tough to recommend unless the traveler is able to overlook a lot of deficencies and a general lack of cleanliness. The room we were moved to had new carpet, bed coverings and also new bathtub/shower. Unfortunately, that was offset by the airconditioner that was almost falling out the fall, the aged furniture in the room, dirty walls, ceiling and the outer door with the two-tone paint job resulting from the paint peeling off it.

If you are willing to put up with these issues to get a low cost room, then I can recommend it. This would be good for the low cost traveler, temporary housing or someone looking for a hotel that gives a taste of hotels from 50 years ago. Otherwise you can do better but it'll cost you more. Maybe if the owners get much more renovating done soon, then others can give a better recommendation.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank northernRaven

Reviewed 16 September 2011

The people who ran the hotel were really nice and friendly, especially to 2 foreign people who have never been to this part of Florida before.

The location is great, just beside the highway (with occasion views of the highway patrol hiding around there to catch speeding cars).

The rooms are spacious with amenities (Fridge and microwave) I have never seen any motels having them. The microwave came in handy when we arrived late on the first night and only have 2 cup noodles.

Rooms are clean and decent, at least for us. We were also pleasantly surprised to get a set of Garnier Shampoo and conditioner trial packet for each night we stayed.

For the rates they are charging, it is really value for money!

Room Tip: I prefer the ground level rooms especially if you have a heavy luggage.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank queenestelle
Reviewed 14 August 2011

beautiful new pool and friendly staff will go a long way. the room was clean and the staff is working hard all the time. the price was the best deal in town! We will be back next year.
thanks guys!
mj and v.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mary c
Reviewed 8 August 2011

My family arrived in Florida in early July, intending to relocate here from Maine. We needed short-term housing from which to give us a base of operations while we searched for a permanent home. The Ecom Lodge provided that base affordably, and were very helpful and friendly. They treated us with respect, which I could not say about other places we stayed before we got here.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Crashcromwell
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Totally sucks! My worst hotel experience ever. When I opened the door to a 90 degree room I knew I was in trouble. Half of the lights didn't work, and it smelled. When I pulled back the sheets I was disgusted to find some type of thick brown hair in the bed as well as a bug. When I spoke to the over night manager he told me that was the best room they had. Really?!!! I immediately asked to cancel my 3 day reservation in which he replied that he could not because of Priceline's involvement. According to Priceline he could have refunded me whenever he wanted to. So long story short, I paid $45 to sleep in my rental car in a McDonald's parking lot down the street. Boooo!!!

Room Tip: Stay at the Best Western about 5 minutes west.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank ShaneKM
Reviewed 4 September 2010

I am a frequent visitor of mount dora.. I had a bad experience last time..now i saw new management working hard for the service of the customer..the room was clean.. the place is very quiet..i hope they keep it this way..

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
5  Thank phoenix8666
Reviewed 18 March 2010

We booked 3 rooms in advance - based on the online photos. Big mistake.

Everything was dingy, and the rooms weren't clean. We were greeted by a live insect in one sink... there was no hot water in the first room... the bed coverings and pillows were stained... the porcelain in the bathroom was cracked, chipped and not all particularly clean. The two rooms we looked at (one key didn't work) were dingy. Not at all like the photos online.

We cancelled within 10 minutes of arrival, but they refused to credit the first night - in spite of the unlivable conditions of the rooms. Fortunately, the Quality Inn just up the street had three rooms - which were clean and well maintained.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
#2 of 5 in Mount Dora
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Leesburg/Mt Dora
Best Western Plus Lake County Inn & Suites
Key West Resort on Lake Dora

Been to Budget Lodge of Mount Dora? Share your experiences!