“Still The Best Seafood In Mount Dora”

Whales Tale Fish House
Ranked #28 of 116 Restaurants in Mount Dora
Cuisines: Healthy
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Description: 352-385-1500
Mount Dora, Florida
“Still The Best Seafood In Mount Dora”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I first reviewed Whale's Tale after moving to Mount Dora early in 2011. I still go there frequently, and it is just as good as ever. I am hooked on their fried seafood basket with two seafood selections. I usually have haddock and clam strips, with some hushpuppies and sides of carrots and slaw. Everything is great, and they have some good house wine. I highly recommend this family owned place.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank FloridaBackroads

The Villages, FL
“If you like seafood check it out”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This place has the feel of an old small town diner. It is set in a rundown strip mall off the beaten path. It is clean for a mom and pop kind of place. It is not that easy to find (when my GPS said I had reached my destination, we still did not see it) the signage is not that effective.

That said it is worth the effort to find it. Melissa greeted us as we entered – she was warm and friendly. We chose a seat (the seating is a mishmash of choices – quaint) and looked at the menu. The choices although not “New England”, they were generally great seafood choices. They lean more toward Maryland than New England – but this is still great sea food for Florida.

We both chose the belly clams, and the onion rings. My bride had coleslaw, and I had French fries. The clams were terrific, and the onion rings are as good as we have had. The coleslaw and fries were OK.

It is worth the effort to seek this place out, and you could do worse than have Melissa as your server.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank VillagerRick
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Don't even know where to begin. Took a relative for her birthday based on the reviews was expecting a good meal. The portion sizes were ridiculous for what we paid and wasn't even that great. Then 1 waitress for the entire place we had to ask 4 times for part of our orders she forgot and had to ask for drink refills. I do NOT or will recommend this place!!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank chickensforever
Eustis, Florida, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious New England Style Seafood”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

If you're a transplant from 'up north' and are craving the seafood, this is the place to go. We had whole clams, with bellies, and fish and chips with sides of fries and onion rings. Everything was delicious and the prices were extremely reasonable. The only thing I would like to see would be a more crispy, beer-style batter on the fish. Other than that we left satisfied. The portions were good for the prices. It's a little hard to see from the road, though, so look carefully. The owner and servers were cordial and attentive. Again, a great experience.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Ray K
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Whales Tale Fish House”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We very much enjoyed our dinner and the service was terrific and I was amazed at the view and the sunset. It was a very romantic dinner and we will definitely return and recommend to others who may be traveling there as well.

• Visited July 2013