“A BIG surprise....”

Description: 352-385-1500
Longwood, Florida
“A BIG surprise....”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Once we saw this place we were a bit reluntant to go in. But it would have been a great mistake not to!! Probaly the best fried shrimp my wife EVER had and their Whale Tales Fish Sandwich on a hoagie had 3 large fillets and comes with 2-sides. Being Italian I had to get my pasta salad side and even that was delicious. Plus they have sliced carrots steamed in apple juice. EXCELLENT! Whenever we visit Mt Dora, this is definitely our new seafood place to eat.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank Bob C

“In the Middle”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and stopped for lunch after reading the reviews here. It's in a very nondescript plaza so you can easily pass it up.

Hubby had the "chowda" he said it was delicious but could use a little less potatoes but doesn't that always seem to be the case with chowder. We both ordered the haddock and I got the addition of shrimp. It was okay. Not terrible but I have a lot of experience with great seafood living on Gulf of Mexico. The breading was light but my fish ended up soggy.

3 Thank Maria D
Tavares, Florida
“4 years later. Good Eats, Good Changes”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

After finishing up my 7th piece of Swai paired with an Amber Bock last Wednesday I started thinking about how it will be 4 years this April since the Whales Tale Fish House opened up in the Mt Dora Shopping Plaza, tho not much has changed, what has are all good; esp. All You Can Eat Fish on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

The Fried Clam strips, oysters, and shrimp are still my favorite Entrees with apple steamed Carrots and the delicious Red Potatoes are still my favorite sides,. This place is known for there atmosphere, home made sauces, and breaded to order fresh onion rings. This is my favorite Fish and Chips spot by far anywhere.

As for the changes, they now offer a bottomless Fish basket on Wednesdays and Saturdays, where you can reorder more pieces of fish served hot and ready. They don't have the fried mushrooms anymore, but they do have Sweet Potato fries. When I'm not in the mood for fried food, I can still enjoy this place.

The classic lemon butter, crumbed, or blackened Haddock, Catfish, Shrimp and Scallops are broiled to perfection. Another new new item since they opened in 2010 is the trout, highly recommended. All the food here is fresh and tasty, the atmosphere has a Chesapeake nautical feel, the prices are modest, portions are filling, the staff is friendly, and the cooks really know their fish.

Beyond the fish, you can't talk about this place without mentioning the Maryland Crab Soup, and Clam Chowder, which are both nutritious and meaty, and like Bonnie's Maryland Lump Crab Cakes, the recipes are authentic and don't have any filler. As for the desserts they can vary each night, and for refreshments they offer selection of beers and wines, along with water, tea, coffee and sodas....

If you or somebody in your party aren't into seafood, they have these amazing Chicken Strips, House and Caesar Salads and they now do a great Cheese Steak Sub, and they still have the French Onion Soup topped with Melted Provolone and onion rings.

The cons of the place are they don't have many Entree options for Vegetarians in your party, but they do have some good side dishes Fries, O-Rings, Carrots, and Potatoes, and Salads, some items have some dairy ingredients, the plus side is that the servers and kitchen are very friendly and happy to resolve and appreciate any questions/comments you present to them.
Sometimes on Friday nights is can be crowded and hard to get a seat, and they can't always take reservations for Friday's but they are able to usually any other time. I stop by in the afternoons, and its usually quiet, with 50's music playing in the background, a relaxing place in the day to get lunch, a little more hopping in the later hours. They close at 8pm sharp, so be sure to get there early. They offer pick-up/carry out for all there menu items without any charge, so that's another plus.

If you want to visit a hidden gem off the beaten trail try out this Fish House off of old Highway 441 on your way towards Mt. Dora. Thank you for reading my review, hope it was helpful, and I hope for more good times to come for the Whales Fish House.

• Visited March 2014
5 Thank taowaters
Tampa, FL
“PERFECTLY fried seafood”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Six of us had dinner at Whales Tale Fish House last night. Absolutely everything was delicious. And the service was very friendly and attentive. We had: fried clams and oysters as appetizers; soft-shell crab sandwich; crab cake; fish & chips; fried shrimp; fried catfish; blackened trout. Our sides were: onion rings (THE BEST onion rings I've EVER had); cuke salad; cheese grits; sweet potato fries; cole slaw; hush puppies. All were excellent. The portions for the cuke salad and the cheese grits were very very small though. All other portions were fine. All of the fried foods were done PERFECTLY -- very lightly battered and perfectly fried. Not greasy and not heavy. Excellent dinner!

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank smwhitaker
Tucson, Arizona
“And the search goes on.............”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My husband and moved to central Florida this year, and have spent much of our time learning our new surroundings and restaurants. Our last reconnoitering search was to find a good seafood restaurant to which we could take our friends and family. One that the "locals" frequented. After much research for such a place, we chose to visit The Whales Tale Fish House in Mt. Dora (one of our favorite areas). We should have been forewarned when our Garmin said we had arrived, but we couldn't see it. (Nondescript comes to mind here.) When we went in, we found a clean restaurant void of people.....except for the one couple sitting in a booth. Shortly, a young lady came in the back door, welcomed and seated us. We ordered drinks (served Styrofoam cups) an appetizer of their fried onion rings (served in plastic basket to be eaten from the Styrofoam saucer given us.)
My husband ordered the soft-shell crab sandwich , hush puppies and fried cheese grits. Not being seafood lover, I chose to try the French Onion Soup) We could find none of the food that had ANY seasoning. In fact, their was so little taste in our orders, that one might assume that we were munching on the Styrofoam!
Needless to say, we won't be returning, and I marvel at the reviews I read that touted this place as having "the best".

• Visited February 2014