“Gone... before The Ides of March has even Passed”
Review of Saucy Spoon - CLOSED

Saucy Spoon
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 March 2013

This restaurant started life on Highland Street as a local Catering Company servicing weddings, private parties and corporate gatherings. They were well known and everyone in this small town spoke highly of their personal services and great food. So Good, in fact, they expanded to a -small- Dining Room next to the catering address but, with -hugely- priced entree's. The first time I saw the menu prices, I thought it was a misprint.... Considering the venue: I always have to ask myself; are we going to enjoy a meal MORE if the same entree is priced $8-16 higher than at a competing restaurant? I suppose so, if you're paying for the gorgeous Ambiance, Tastier Food, Better Service, Larger More Efficient Bar, Better Parking, & Personal Attention - you'd probably justify it. But, I never thought you could at this restaurant.
Despite my 'opinion': after about a year, 'Saucy Spoon' then graduated with a big (financial) jump to a deserted restaurant venue in Downtown Mount Dora at 322 No. Alexander St. ~ of a eatery formally called "The Gables". Now, it's yet another year later: Family problems, bad management, staffing problems, a Summer Menu out-of-touch with the Economy?? Not for me to speculate:
Sad really, since the 'Saucy Spoon', like 'The Gables', definitely had it's admirers (Doctor's /Lawyers / No Indian Chiefs). But, in retrospect, you have to ask yourself ... Does this building carry with it..... Bad Mojo ?? Only The God, 'Mars' may know. Before 'The Ides of March' even crossed the calendar......The Saucy Spoon has closed it's doors.

2  Thank BentleyBoy
There are newer reviews for Saucy Spoon

Reviewed 19 February 2013

What a delightful spur of the moment dinner stop! Salad - the best romaine wedge with blue cheese, bacon, tomato - fresh, crisp and cold. We ordered Lobster Truffle Mac-n-Cheese and Mediterranean Chicken for our entrees - The chicken breast was large, cooked perfectly and presented on a bed of lovely veggies and lots of olives. the Lobster Mac and Cheese was quite the surprise as I was expecting the lobster to be diced in the pasta and cheese - but instead served with the entire lobster tail on top of the pasta! Wonderful presentation and fantastic flavors of cheeses in this bubbly hot entree.
Service was nice - although we were left wondering about our server Chris. He came to apologize twice about our entrees taking so long - lobster up first, chicken took longer - he sent lobster back ...it was fine, we were not in a hurry and appreciate his updates. After serving us, we never saw him again - we had another very attentive server and that was fine, but what happened to Chris?
The Saucy Spoon also has a nice bread bar - fresh bread, olive oil, balsamic, spices - liked this feature very much

Reviewed 14 February 2013

Friendly service and a much more complex menu that I'd have expected in this small town. A very good meal!

Reviewed 3 February 2013 via mobile

We went on Art Festival Day 2.2.13. Salad had half cup of lettuce 3 tomatoes cheese and a large ice cold "grilled" chicken breast. I was told ' that salad doesn't come with warm chicken'. Sent it back. Still charged us $18. Don't go on festival day.

2  Thank Deb4amberc
Reviewed 26 January 2013

The food was quite good. The service was adequate. We found the concept of a "Bread Bar" intriguing - a table with olive oil, herbs, pepper, shaved parmeson cheese - but one bread? Not a couple of choices? When we asked for the wine list, we were told they were changing it over so someone would come to the table to discuss it. The waitress came and read off several merlots, a cab sav, and "two bottles of chardonnay" and I guess we were expected to remember them all and try to pick one. Come on, guys. Have a wine list. And don't let the cellar run down to the last two bottles of chardonnay waiting for the new shipment for the new menu. Entrees include no salad, no vegetables or starch - it is all a la carte. We thought $38 a bit high for grouper, even if that entree did include a vegetable. So the restaurant has aimed high, has fallen short, except in the area of pricing. A good restaurant, if your measure is Mt.Dora, FL. There is reason to hope it will improve.