Orwellian Bed and Lunch.
My wife surprised me with a wonderful weekend trip to Mount Dora for my BD. We love to travel and have been in a number of B&B's. Heron Cay looked great on the internet site and she agreed to pay the premium price. We were truly mortified by the experience. On arrival we were given the “good news” that we got upgraded to a larger pet friendly room at no additional charge. However, Margie advised us that their four Russian Hound “pack” of dogs did not like pets. To get to our room we had to use the garage, a stinky, dilapidated fire hazard maze from an Edgar Alan Poe horror movie. In the best style of a Jeff Foxworthy joke, there were two junk boats, a junk VW Rabbit and a junk 70's motorhome full of crap by the garage. The wrap around porch has seen better days. Mold everywhere and broken miniature train cars spread out. I cannot make this up, really.
Our room was cold. There was no thermostat in the room, we were tired and thinking the furnace will kick in anytime. We bundled up but I woke up freezing at 3AM and found the thermostat downstairs set to 60º, so I set it to 70º to wake up frozen again at 8:00 AM. Thermostat back to 60. There was a “pseudo” king bed made up of two twin mattresses put together, very uncomfortable. Shower curtain fell off twice. Towels were old and ragged, they belong in a carwash, not an upscale B&B. As I later found out, they claim to be eco-friendly but those dispensers and soap that do not meet any hotel or sanitary standards. The “updated” TV was a garage sale junk from the 90's sitting on top of an armoir next to a broken TV. The dining room was gaudy and cluttered. We were told that the fireplaces were not working because “gas was too expensive and utilities run high” however, Saturday morning was their Google photo shooting, and they used a fire log to set the stage for the pics.
Food handling may need to be evaluated by the county health department. I doubt minimal sanitary standards are being met. They have four large Russian Hound dogs and two cats roaming in the kitchen where our breakfast was prepared. The kitchen was Dantesque, and matched the garage and the side yard. Crowded with papers, books, old printers and computers, there sat the grimy stove and cooking area. The wondering hounds perfectly matched the stage and added to the décor. Cooking did not get started until after nine and was not ready until about eleven both days. Thus, they should really call themselves a “Bed and Lunch.” Our first cup of orange juice was fermented and quickly replaced with fresh one. We wanted breakfast not lunch and I do not want to be told that the “stores don't open till late anyways.” Not that the inn was overwhelmed with patrons, we were four couples on day one and two the next day, couple number three left before “blunch.” There pool was dirty and green, not a pool or hot tub I would ever set foot in! The cushions on the patio chairs were disgusting.
At first, we felt that maybe the place was just too big for this elderly couple and felt sorry for them, but by looking at previous reviews going back years, there is a common theme here and the owners just keep on blaming customers. These keepers are hoarders and I am not sure what excuse they'll use to save face this time. We are not “lawyers” or “bikers”, we did not use an “expired gift certificate”, my “parents did not pay for our stay” We paid up front, we left on time and we were did not complain, we did thank for the upgrade and the birthday cupcake.
Mount Dora is a gem and there are much better places to spend the night for a lot less money with better sanitary conditions and better service than this dump.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gracious Victorian Residence with a Tropical Flair overlooking Lake Dora, recently created to reflect times from our glorious past. Most of our rooms/suites have a view of Lake Dora, three have a fireplace and most can accommodate four guests or more if needed; they are unusually spacious and have an ensuite bath, mini frig, coffee pot, TV, embroidered bathrobes, irons/boards, complimentary toiletries, hair dryer and other amenities not typically found in small lodging establishments. You may find less expensive accommodations, however you will not find any that are nicer.. We also offer Handicap and separate 'Pet Friendly" accommodations and are a short walk to Historic Downtown Mount Dora's fine shops & restaurants, Mount Dora is 'Someplace Special.' ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Booking.com so you can book your Heron Cay Lakeview Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Heron Cay Lakeview Bed And Breakfast
- Heron Cay Lakeview Hotel Mount Dora
- Heron Cay Lakeview Bed & Breakfast Mount Dora, Florida