“A slice of Germany in Mt. Dora”
Review of The Bavarian Haus

The Bavarian Haus
Ranked #16 of 117 Restaurants in Mount Dora
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Living close to Mt. Dora, we were looking or something different. We had seen The Bavarian Haus before but had never gone in. Clearly, this was a mistake on our part. Our normal German spot is over in Sanford, but this is much closer to us. The location is very close to the heart of the action in Mt. Dora. The restaurant has a cozy interior and a small covered patio outside. Because of the heat, we chose indoor seating. There is a nice selection of German beers and wines. We ordered the potato pancakes to start. My wife had the bratwurst with red cabbage and potato dumplings. The taste of the brats was very good and simular to those I've had in Germany. I had jäger schnitzel with spetzel and red cabbage. It was a generous serving complete with plenty of sauce for the spetzel. We finished with apple strudel with ice cream and a vanilla sauce. Very good finish. We spent $45 before tip, including a small beer. I felt it was good value for the money. We will be sure to come back. I was a little surprised to see the low rating in trip advisor. It deserves better.

There are newer reviews for The Bavarian Haus

Reviewed 1 September 2013

My wife and I came here on sunday 9/01/13 labor day weekend. Wife had the Schweinebraten(sliced pork) in dark beer gravy which she said was not tender, very tough. I had the Sauerbraten with red cabbage and German potato salad. I had this many times as a child cooked by my German grandmother I know it is drenched in vinegar for a day or so and that is how it gets its flavor and tenderness.There is NOT ant short cuts to this recipe! I did not taste any vinegar at all and the beef was very tough. I was very disappointed, the red cabbage was very good just as I ate it as a child. The potato salad was creamy but there was NOT any vinegar as I think there should be. The atmosphere was excellent with the German music and sipping imported lager beer from Munich....But the Sauerbraten did not taste very sauer.It kind a put a damper on the Meal....The cook took a short cut, This was not true German Sauerbraten!

Reviewed 25 August 2013

We celebrated a birthday, Those that had the veal wiener schnitzel could not stop singing it's praise tender and generous done perfectly. The potato dumplings were the best I have had in some time. The red cabbage had just the right bite. The Roulada beef was just so tender it could be cut with a fork. All were pleased with their choices. Lots to choose from and oh so fresh...The apple and cheese strudel with vanilla sauce and ice cream was outstanding.. Worth the price, fun place. Music on saturday evening.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

My husband and I lived in Germany for 12 years so we're always looking for authentic German restaurants. This one will not disappoint! The food was absolutely fantastic. I had the schnitzel and my husband had bratwurst. I read another review that mentioned the potato salad being more creamy than vinegary. As most German food enthusiasts know, true authentic German potato salad has a vinegary taste to it. My husband and I also noticed that the potato salad was more creamy and not as vinegary. We still thought the potato salad was delicious. We also had dessert that was phenomenal. The service was also outstanding and the prices were great. If you're ever in the area, do yourself a favor and stop by this place...you won't regret it!

1  Thank mplanier
Reviewed 9 August 2013

While looking for a new home in Mt. Dora, Fl, it was recommended that we visit the Bavarian Haus Restaurant there. This is the most authentic German food and wine we found outside of NYC - (I know, I lived in NYC (German Town on E 86th Street). We both enjoyed the Sauerbraten, red cabbage and German noodle. Our plates were empty and our server was very pleased. The beer and wine authentic to Germany and excellent to the taste. The Strudel (both apple and cheese) served with vanilla ice-cream were great but just a little too many raisins. If you venture to Mt. Dora or vicinity, do not hesitate to visit this fine European restaurant. Service was great and a great surprise after a long day of house hunting! Plus - price for all, more than fair.

1  Thank OnTheGo34534