“Gemütlich!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Ventura, California
“Gemütlich!”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Home cooking in a homey, welcoming atmosphere - authentic German food and drink inside as well as outdoors. Try out your rusty German! The potato salad is scrumptious, as are the wurst and the sauerkraut. The homemade strudel is heavenly.

Visited November 2013

Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“German Food at it's Best.”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We had the best Wiener Schnitzel at this small German Restaurant. It came with 2 sides that you could chose. I had the dumplings and my husband had the spatzle and both were delicious and the red cabbage just added to it. They have a great beer and limited wine list. You can sit inside or be served on the outdoor patio and watch Mount Dora go by. I would definitely go back there and even make a weekend trip just to do that.
The menu is at http://www.eatatthebavarianhaus.com/menu.pdf
The offer lunch and dessert also.

• Visited May 2014
Orlando, Florida
“Authentic German Delicousness!”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Right in the downtown area of Mount Dora, we discovered a real gem. It had been recommended to me a few times, but I never made the trip until now. The restaurant is small and seating outside and inside looked to be able to accomodate 65 or so people. Small place or not, this is indeed one of the best German meals I have had in the USA, probably in the TOP 3, and I've been to many German restaurants though the years in several parts of the country. Having lived in Germany, traveled through every region of Germany, and, the fact that I go every year to Germany and stay for three weeks(job related), I have sampled much of the best this country has to offer. For starters, this restaurant had the BEST Gulaschsuppe I have ever had in America. For some reason, past experiecnes seem to have been soup from a can that was imported, or, just plain lousy. This was absolutely divine! Just the right amount of peppers and lots of chunky meat in a silken paprika broth. My partner also had the soup and thought it was great. Next up, I got the Sauerbraten with red cabbage and potato dumplings (with plenty of sauerbraten gravy). The sauerbraten was fork tender--no knife even needed. It wasn't vinegary like I've had at other restaurants, but a nice sweet, spicy flavor, not too strong or overpowering. The red cabbage and dumplings were the perfect accompanyment and went deliciously together. My partner got the pork schnitzel. Imagine my surprise when they brought out a larger dinner plate than mine. The schnitzel was just like in a German Gasthaus--BIG. I could immediately smell it was cooked correctly, in butter, one side at a time, and NOT deep fried. It was accompanied by red cabbage and potato salad. He also had requested a boat of gravy to go with it, which was also very tasty. We ended up taking bites of each other's dinners because everything was so good. We washed it all down with a Weihenstephaner beer--perfect! The only thing negative I could say about the meal was that I did feel the sauerbraten portion could have been just a little larger, but maybe that was because the enormous schnitzel across the table made it seem smaller? Anyway, we got the homemade apple strudel (this is NOT an easy dessert to make from scratch!) with vanilla sauce as a take-out dessert ot eat later. Later that evening we enjoyed it--wonderfully flavorful and flaky. Service at Bavarian Haus is good and the people working there are authentic Bavarians and friendly with a good sense of humor. I couldn't help notice a few ratings on here that were less than good, which made me wonder how well some people know German food.Whatever the case, I do know German food and have enjoyed it in Germany and in the USA for years. This place has got it down and, if you are out for a real German eating experience where the focus is not on drinking and loud entertainment, this is your place. Most of the other places in cetral Florida serving German food are more for partying, it seems, and food quality has proven to be disappointing for us. But, again, if you want to eat where the focus in 100% on the food, REALLY good German food, then you must try Bavarian Haus. You won't be disappointed!

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank BradBrian
DeLand, Florida
“Fun place, good food but not spectacular”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We went on a Saturday evening for dinner. They have outdoor seating with a roof over it, so we ate outside since it wasn't too hot. The inside is really small, and they had a fellow playing the accordion inside. We didn't want to have to talk over the music, so that was another reason to eat outside. I had sliced pork with a really rich gravy, german potato salad and sauerkraut. It was all fine and tasty. My wife had a veal dish with the same gravy and some german noodles, and a salad. Hers was fine too. We weren't going to order an appetizer, but the waitress suggested the pretzel baguette which wouldn't be too filling, but then she forgot to bring it. We didn't say anything because the meal filled us up just fine. Prices weren't bad - I drank tea and my wife had a glass of wine, and the total bill was about $40. Service was good too.

If you want really good German food, I would suggest Emmy's in DeLand instead.

• Visited April 2014
Plattsburgh, New York, United States
“Sensational schnitzel!”
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

We had a great three cheese appetizer with warm German bread and pretzel baquette. Followed by two great schnitzel dinners. The spaetzle, warm German potato salad and homemade sauerkraut was unbelievable. Authentic German cooks and the owner and staff made us feel as if we were eating in their home! Oh, did I mention the strudel...yum!!

Visited April 2014