“good BBQ, good prices”

Black Bear Smokehouse
Cuisines: Barbecue
“good BBQ, good prices”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Black Bear has been opened for several months now and we've eaten there several times. Anytime I want BBQ Black Bear is where we go. The chains are too costly for the amount of food and the quality of the product. Black Bear has always had very good brisket and pork and they give you so much that I always eend up taking some home. Their meals come with a couple of sides and i've had them all. At this point my favorites are the spoon bread and the beans. They also have ribs and chicken but I havent tried either of them. The atmosphere is what I expecct from a local BBQ restaurant, it's a cafeteria stul service where you wait in a line to plce your order and pick it up where you pay and get your drink from a fountain machine or the tea urn. Seating is available in table for 4 or at large picnic tables that seat large numbers. I really like Black Bear and will go back...usually twice per month.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Scott B

Mount Dora, FL
“The sides are seriously lacking.”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We visited for the second time on Saturday, our first time was when they first opened. The service is ok? Not really sure how to describe it because we waited for the girl to acknowledge us for a while but then when she finally did she was kind of friendly.

I got the Big Sexy Sandwich without the bread (Pulled Pork & Brisket). Last time I got the bread it was too greasy so when she asked if I wanted bread or not, I chose not. The serving of meat was very small and the majority of the brisket, while tasty, was very fatty. I got the collard greens and the sweet potato casserole. Yuck to both. The collard greens are so strange, nothing like I'm used to. They were also full of the hard stem that is supposed to be cut off while preparing them. I had a pile of stems on my plate when I was done. The sweet potato was kind of dried out and tasted like it had crunchy/dry oatmeal baked on top. Not good.

My husband liked his ribs. He especially had fun choosing a BBQ sauce. He ordered collard greens and baked beans. He said the beans were ok, but he wouldn't finish his collards.

We got our food to go so we didn't stay to eat, but there were only 2 tables being used on a Saturday night. This was our second visit but it was comparable to the first. The BBQ is pretty good but the sides are awful. I love the way the building looks and it's nice to have something different in town but the way they seem to be going doesn't look to good for the future.

• Visited September 2013
Central Florida, Florida
“Your Chance To Roar”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I think this is a caring owner with a unique, different format. We ate there, when it first opened (guessing date) , and they were suffering from a few shortages on the Menu. It's Family Dining at big, open tables where you sit at a long picnic table with somebody staring at you ~with barbeque sauce dribbling down your face~ you don't know. It was fairly loud and lots of little screaming kids. Probably not our Cup of Tea. The Smoked? Barbeque is Spicy and quite Zesty. Also, Not my Cup of Tea. The prices are higher then Sonny's Bar-B-Que (up the road) and, you wait in-line and collect your food as it's laid up on a paper plate or basket. If they are running behind, then you wait & wait until a server brings it around (also, not in my program). They did a great job of renovating this old restaurant with a brick overlay. I apologize for my lack of enthusiasm but, if Spicy BarbeQue sauce makes you ROAR...you're gonna be right at home with this Smokey The Bear.

• Visited May 2013
Manasquan
“Good place to eat.”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Picnic like atmosphere with huge wood tables. All meats are smoked and reasonably price. Food was delicious and a nice change of pace from most restaurants.

Visited September 2013
Mount Dora, Florida
“Wonderful Service and Food!”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Great food and great service! Reasonable prices too!! It was recommended to us by several people and we are glad we finally decided to try. We have been back twice and will definitely be on our list of places to eat in the future!!

• Visited August 2013