“Would go back”

Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Palm Tree Grille is located on a scenic corner in the middle of town. Perfect for people watching.
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The service and food was good. I had a Bison Burger with a very good sauce on top. I would recommend this restaurant.

Festivals1mtdora, General Manager at Palm Tree Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you for your review, we have had a fantastic response to the bison Burger and are glad you enjoyed it. It really is a tasty burger with a healthy appeal. We are also getting ready to launch a brunch and some other fun items and hope you can come by to try them, Best Regards, Joe

Reviewed 12 May 2014

This is a slightly edited version of the review I posted around April 12th. It was taken down. I am not sure why. There are many untruths in the Palm Tree Grill’s manager’s response.

I am 64 years old and this was the worst dining experience of my life. It wasn’t so much because of the quality of the food, although there were some issues there, it was about the total lack of professionalism and caring by everyone there from the bus boy up to and especially the owner Joe.

Things started off badly and got progressively worse. We couldn’t get water and then they brought my entree out with the soup and salad for the other two guests. I ate very slowly hoping the other food would come. I had been done eating for at least 30 minutes before the other entrees came. They brought my wife a huge bowl with a tiny amount of spaghetti in it. We complained and the waiter acted like he could care less. The waiter offered more spaghetti. My wife said no because by that time we had been there over an hour and we were ready to leave and never come back. They brought the spaghetti anyway. I had already asked the floor manager to come to the table, but she never did. Finally after asking a second time to see the manager the owner Joe came out. He was drinking a glass of wine, acting very cocky and very rudely said he was “on a fact finding mission”. We told him our experience and he didn’t even apologize. Instead he told us about his wine stock being the largest in Lake County and his restaurant's great reputation. He refused to comp my wife’s meal. He harassed us over and over, being particularly rude to my wife and we told him the same story. Finally I said, “Just bring us our check, leave us alone and I will pay the bill. His was response was, “I am not leaving, it’s my restaurant.” He continued to harass us and I asked several more times for the bill. By this time he had his son and most of the other staff on the floor. The restaurant was almost empty. He threatened several time to call the police. By this time he was smiling, and really enjoying what he was doing. I finally paid the bill and left. It was horrible

As we were walking to the car a Mount Dora Policeman stopped us. He was very polite and asked us what had happened at the restaurant . We told him and went home.

This whole experience was very upsetting, especially the way the owner talked to my wife. We live locally and eat out often. I root for restaurants to succeed. We were having a great evening with a friend from out of town. That evening was ruined by our experience at the Palm Tree Grill. I will never go there again.

By the way, no one in our party drank anything but water.

4  Thank Sam G

After multiple attempts to post your negative attack on this and other websites, I see that one was finally accepted and posted. The others being removed and deemed disturbing for good reason as they were more a personal attack and witch hunt than an intelligent review. Let’s start with the facts and not the fantasy of what was posted online. One person at the table ordered a salad and wanted it as an entrée, to be served when the other two person’s entrees were served. Reasonable request. It was served early by mistake as it was a salad and went out as a first course. Never a problem though, it could easily have been requested to be served with the other entrees when they were ready, as requested. This was not the case as the customer chooses to start eating the salad at that point. Once the other two entrees were served a complaint was made to the server about the portion size of the pasta. Not something we typically do but wanting to make the customer happy, the server brought out a second pasta dish served FREE to try and remedy the situation by now providing two bowls of pasta. Then multiple snide remarks started being made to the server by the customers at the table regarding the challenges they felt they were facing. Although it is not part of the job description to take this abuse the server choose to ignore the comments. Then came a request for a check at the meals conclusion. For whatever reason it seems it was not brought to the table quick enough so more comments were made by the customer to the server. The restaurant had just had a rush of customers all at the same time as it was Friday night. It was without a doubt delayed in being brought to the table. At this point Joe the manager walked in from being out of town and was told that a table was being difficult. The reply was to try and make the customers experience better by offering complimentary drinks or desserts. Again, not something we typically do but it had been a busy night so the offer was made. This evidently was not enough. Joe was asked to come to the table again. As requested he visited with the table asking what the challenges while holding a glass of Pinot Noir that he was enjoying from just getting back into town. He was told of a salad being served early to the table and a delay in getting the check as well as the pasta portion being too small. When asked specifically what was the problem with the pasta dish was, the customer replied by cursing and raising her voice. Joe replied that one bowl had been served and another second bowl being sent to the table FREE to try and appease the situation. The pasta was eaten so what was the reason to refund the pasta dish? Joe asked the customer to stop cursing in the dining room and that the server had offered free drinks and desserts earlier so where was this hostility coming from. At that point Joe was told by the second customer who stood up to “get out of here” and that they were not paying for the pasta. Joe informed them that they would have to pay it as not one but two bowls had been brought to the table but only one portion would have to be paid for. Obviously the customer did not want to hear this and he stood up, tore the check into pieces, threw it only the table and shouted he was not paying for any of the food. They were informed that if the bill was not paid the police would be called. The customer refused and the police were called. As the police arrived just a few minutes later, the customer saw them and then asked to pay the bill. This review is both sad and pathetic and is without a doubt completely one sided. Interesting how all the actions of the table were left out. In addition the accusation of being intoxicated borders on slander and reflects another sad and desperate act. Finally, the threats the table made of “we will tell everyone” and the “we know everyone in town” were obviously a last, final attempt to not pay for the meal. The customers have indeed followed through on the threats as we have seen multiple posting go online with many being removed by the websites that hosted them as they broke the guidelines. This is nothing more than a witch hunt and management stands behind their decision and behind their servers.
In the end, having what amounts to a nervous breakdown in a public restaurant over the portion size of a pasta dish is simply ridiculous and warrants no more time on our part addressing it. Any intelligent person who reads both the review and the reply will clearly see the real agenda here.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

What a wonderful find! My wife and I dined here on a Sunday night and were completely pleased. Dave, our waiter, was wonderful! My wife had the eggplant parmigian and I had the veal parmigian . Both were great and what huge portions! We shared a cannoli cake, which was to die for. Absolutely would recommend and go back.

1  Thank KrazyKoko
Festivals1mtdora, General Manager at Palm Tree Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

David truly is a wonderful server, he has been with us for quite a while and has a great sense of humor and professionalism. Glad to see you enjoyed your meals as well, it’s all made fresh daily and we have been growing our own herbs for years now to enhance the flavor of our dishes. We are also are now contacting local farmers to get vegetables that will be from farm to table the very same day! Our portions are also of a generous size for sure, if you can’t finish it all we always have a to go box ready for you. Oh and that homemade Cannoli cake really is amazing. That one takes a lot of work but the end result is absolute heaven. Thank you once again for taking the time to write such a nice review. We can’t wait to serve you again, Safe Travels. Joe

Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and I dined at The Palm Tree Grille on a rainy Friday evening and had a wonderful meal! Our server was prompt and knowledgeable - and gave us a great recommendation on the Meeker red wine. The bottle itself is a work of art! The vintner places 2 hands painted on each bottle as a custom piece. We were able to take the empty bottle home...after a lovely dinner of red snapper and veal parmesan. We'll definitely go back!

1  Thank PMDow42

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review, It means a great deal to us. I'm thrilled to see you enjoyed the Meeker Hand Print Merlot, it really is a fantastic bottle of wine. Our wine selection of over 150 wines is updated weekly and is offered at retail store prices, not the typical high markup. Take it to go like your local wine shop or dine in , either way we are sure you will love the experience. We look forward to serving you again soon! Joe

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We've eaten here many times. They've remodeled since the last time we were here. They've also changed the menu. This restaurant used to be the best value in Mt. Dora. It isn't any longer. The prices have increased considerably and the quality of food has gone down. The service friendly, but average at best. I can no longer recommend this restaurant. There are better places in Mt. Dora.

3  Thank Steve C

We re did the interior of the restaurant just about three years ago and appreciate you coming back to visit us. Our prices are still some of the best values in town if you compare menus. Our wine list is the largest selection (150 Plus wines) and is the best priced in the region. The early bird specials are impossible to beat and include the entree, choice of soup or salad, a glass of free wine or beer all for as low as $16.00. I hope you can take the time to visit with us again to explore the options that offer a great value. Safe Travels, Joe.