“My Secret Garden”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I've dined here three times now in the past two years. The first times was for a society luncheon in one of their private dining rooms. Beautifully done. We were greeted with a choice of refreshments. I had the pink lemonade served in a chilled glass with a thin layer of rock sugar encrusted on the rim. Excellent. They are famous for their pot pies and I've had them on two different occasions. Very good,, but my favorites are their homemade soup of the day. They have all been very good.

I prefer to sit in the outside courtyard area. Lovely with Bougainville spilling over the wall. You feel your stress level decline from the time you walk through the gate. Great place for lunch with family, out of Townes company, special occasions, or just to treat yourself. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

At first, it was confusing where to enter: the door facing the street was blocked off from the inside, and there was no hostess to be seen in the courtyard. The atmosphere can be overly feminine and near pretentious. The open courtyard is a decent place to unwind and enjoy the nice weather (Hint - do not expect fast service.) But, with all that said, the highlight was the food. We were very pleasantly surprised with the food. The chicken pie, chicken salad of the day and homemade lemonade were all very good -- enough to satisfy for a light lunch. We would return to try the other items on the menu.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Always a must do when we go to Mt. Dora. We usually only have tea and a dessert but the service and surroundings are lovely.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

The name says it all in terms of its setting... I could easily see it being relocated to several venues in Europe... the theme is white and kitschy with recycled furniture and long fru-fru table cloths.

The food is very good - close to excellent. It is all very understated - if you are looking for a spicy feast - look elsewhere. We were there for the early morning fare on a Sunday... the limited menu was mainly soups, salads, and sandwiches - but what salads and soups.

I had the carrot bisque with sherry and house salad, my wife had the chicken salad of the day with mini-muffins. The presentation was a delight. My soup was garnished with whipped cream and slivered almonds, her salad with whipped cream and an edible flower dusted with powdered sugar.

While she felt the chicken was somewhat tasteless, the fruit and pralines helped kick it up a notch. My bisque was excellent with a mild sherry and carrot taste and a thick creamy texture.

I must also mention the lemonade - no Country Time here. It is tangy, fresh and excellent.

My wife and I both intend to return for their afternoon tea and further, relaxed dining.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Delightful place, wonderful food and excellent service. The perfect location to dine out with friends.

1  Thank Ms W