“Theatre 2”

Sonnentag Theater at the Icehouse
Ranked #15 of 42 things to do in Mount Dora
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The Ice House Theatre, is a Performing Arts Theatre, presenting Broadway type shows, such as; All Shook Up, Annie Get Your Gun, Barefoot In The Park, I Do! I Do!, Hank William Lost Highway, etc, ticket prices vary depending on the presentation, however, there are Senior discounts. Shows are either Friday and Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon. Every seat has a good view and there is a raffle at intermission. The season begins in the fall and last thru the spring. The wife and I attend at least three or four shows a season. You can purchase beverage including wine. I highly recommend.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This little theater is a gem. We saw All Shook Up which was very well done. If you have never gone to a production here, you should.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

It is always so nice when reality is better than your preconceptions. It is also fairly rare. But the performance of "All Shook Up" at the Sonnentag Theater at the Ice House in Mount Dora was a real pleasure. It was just raw, unadulterated fun. The local/regional players are so talented and engaging that you completely lose yourself in the moment. Back to the preconceptions for a moment: based on the blurbs I expected a mediocre Elvis imitator with a mediocre backing band singing/butchering Elvis songs. Not so fast. What I got was a clever, well written, witty "Footloose meets The Wild One meets Grease meets Happy Days meets As You Like It meets Elvis" musical comedy that never slowed down and never disappointed. The genius of the show lies in the clever interweaving of classic Elvis tunes into the plot as punch lines, story points and musical exclamation points. Nobody tries to sound like Elvis and they don't need to. I couldn't spot a weak point in the cast but a couple of players stood out for their exquisite comedic timing and beautiful voices: Whitney Abell, the female lead who pulls off a wonderful and challenging gender bending performance and Wesley Slade as the lovelorn nerd whose non-verbals are just as funny and perfectly played as his angelic singing voice.
And here is the kicker, the thing that finally allowed me to leave a theater performance with a smile: out of the thousands of mic cues, lighting changes, dance moves and set changes there was almost a total lack of mistakes. For once I could enjoy a show that I could hear, see and understand without the distraction of technical mistakes. Good on you, tech guys!
How much was I impressed? I booked my next show during intermission. Now that's some good point-of-sale advertising!!