“Beautiful location, shabby hotel.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lakeside Inn

Lakeside Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Mount Dora
Villelongue d'Aude
“Beautiful location, shabby hotel.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

My husband and I spent 2 nights here in October 2013. When we arrived there was a festival of sorts happening in the grounds so we had to park some way away. This meant hauling our luggage over gravel which is not easy. Our room was large and overlooked the lake which is very beautiful. The bed was huge and very comfortable. I know that, for Americans, anything oldish is quaint or antique, but my house in the UK is far older than this and in much better condition. The hotel smelt damp, paint peeling and in the closet the plaster was falling off the wall. The windows are metal framed and furnished with unattractive venetian blinds. AND there were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Mount Dora itself is very, very lovely. Lots of restaurants and nice shops. We had a wonderful evening at Pisces Rising with great food and a fabulous band. Nearby is Renninger's antique fair which is fantastic and was our main reason for visiting the area. Whilst my husband checked out of the hotel, I once again hauled the luggage to the car park ( my husband had hurt his back by the way, which was why I did all the carrying). Not an offer of help by anyone. I will definitely visit Mount Dora again but I will stay in another hotel. I did not go into the main part of the hotel so perhaps it's nicer in there. But I would recommend they provide tea and coffee for the money charged.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Beverly Hills, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

This was my third year staying at the Lakeside Inn in Mt Dora for the fall Craft Fest the end of October. The hotel staff (especially Sabrina Law) were exceptional and make our stays wonderful. So very knowledgeable and helpfull and make us feel like family the entire time that your there. The Inn is located in the perfect spot for walking throughout the town to all the shops, restaurants and wine shops. What a wonderful and relaxing view of the lake on the Inns grounds. Thank you again for the funny times that you wonderfull memories that you have made for us. Char Kimpel

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Old quaint hotel in a great setting in the downtown historical section across from a pretty lake. The furnishing were a tad sparse in the room. The room was good sized with a large walk-in closet and large bathroom. That said, it needed another nightstand at least. The furnishings were "antiquey", but not necessarily antiques. The one nightstand and the one small wicker corner shelf in the bathroom needed some repair. The room was clean and the bed fairly comfortable. If the room was better appointed it would have been a better than pleasant stay. It could been a "tell your friends and neighbors" stay.
We stayed during one of their busiest weekends of the year...the October Craft Show. Because of this, breakfast and lunch were buffets in their restaurants. This was too bad as I had been looking forward to their breakfast menu.
Their staff were all fantastic...in particular, the night maintenance man Tommy, and a very sweet UCF sophomore in the Beauclerc dining room (I'm sorry that I forgot her name, but she is a Hospitality major with fair skin and brown hair). Everyone greeted you and was friendly.
I give the room a three, but the staff deserve a five. But the room was too much to overcome to rate it an average of four...three it is

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Clearwater, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

My wife and I had a three day stay at the Lakeside Inn. It was a quint hotel. Staff was very good in our eyes. The grounds and lake view was beautiful.
We had a great time at the Inn's lounge, especially on Irish night. The bartender, Janet was great and funny, as were the young men assisting the lounge area too. We would return to Lakeside in the future.
Only problems were the flying bugs as you enter your hallway to go to our rooms. Need to spray the area. The street contruction was also a pain but that of course was no fault of the Inn. What was great was there was no parking fees anywhere.
Our room had that historic feeling. It was clean and comfortable to sleep.
We recommend the Lakeside Inn to all.

Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

We recently visited this hotel with another couple and stayed 3 nights. This is our second trip and their 8th. The resort is charming and beautiful. It is the most relaxing escape we have ever experienced. The renovations are coming along very well. We stayed in the Gables part of the hotel and our room was great! The staff are incredibly accommodating and friendly. The only issue we had was with the restaurant staff. The hotel was sold out and the restaurant was understaffed and they seemed to lack experience. I am in the travel industry and I understand that a sold out situation is difficult to handle, but the staff was overwhelmed. Other than that, I highly recommend this hotel and I look forward to our next yearly visit. By the way, Sabrina...you were right about the room 7118...LOL

St. Pete Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

Lakeside Inn is an ancient hotel, founded in the the 1880s. It is situated right on a lake and has amazing views. I love the history and the feel of the place. You can sit on the porch in one of the 15 rocking chairs with a drink from the bar watching the egrets on the lawn and enjoying the sunset over the lake. Our room was on the end of the building with huge bay windows with lake views. The relaxed ambience recalls earlier days when you spent time talking to people instead of texting them. You would not call this a 5 star chain hotel and don't go there if you want modern. Yes there are things that need seeing to, but so would you if you were over 120 years old! The hotel is in the process of extensive renovation and I was able to see the new rooms, which are splendid and beautifully kitted out. The new owners were on site the entire time during our 2 day stay and they and their work crews never stopped.
There are four major buildings, including the oldest section which has a restaurant, bar and large hall with a baby grand piano. There is also a large pool, which is not heated but very clean and inviting. (By the way, they also do weddings) Being in the middle of the town means you park your car and then walk to the charming little shops. It is very easy to spend 2 days, but three is better. The staff is fantastic and nothing is too much trouble for them. All in all a wonderful getaway for me and my sister visiting from California. She loved it, too.

Room Tip: Get a room at the lake end of the buildings or one with a balcony. It is fun to stay in Calvin Cool...