“Long awaited return.....”
Review of The Plug

The Plug
Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

The Plug is my local coffee shop, it's always been a small intimate place to chill out and meet friends and enjoy good quality coffee. It's run by Pete, helped by his brother John and a quite charming young lady, who everyone calls Bes! Recently the Plug has been closed due to renovations and enlarging - I think they bought the old hairdressers next door and just made the place bigger!
Today they reopened and what a remarkable transformation! It's bigger and brighter, but somehow they have managed to retain the intimate and chilled out feeling and the coffee is still as good as ever! I understand the owner roasts his own coffee. It's truly lovely.
The Plug is set right in the centre of the lovely village of Dinas Powys. It's a fortunate village to have such a great coffee shop at its heart!
If you are anywhere near don't miss a visit.

Date of visit: December 2017

Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

As a couple of kiwis spoiled by our choice of great coffee in New Zealand, our quest is to seek out the best coffee in the UK. How excited we were when told by another coffee connoisseur in 2016 about this little coffee shop that had opened in Dinas Powys. We have visited regularly since then and have yet to be disappointed. The fayre is simple - coffee and a couple of tasty morsels to keep your appetite at bay. This results in great coffee (and food) every time. The place has simple but contemporary decor and a truly laid back vibe. The owner and his wife, both of whom serve coffee are passionate, warm, friendly and of course deliver consistently great coffee. I would go out of my way to get coffee from The Plug and we have yet to find anywhere on our travels in the U.K. that serves a better flat white.

Date of visit: July 2017
1  Thank EmmaJ3257
Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

Very happy with the coffee and treats served to us here. The prices are on par with large chains but the taste is better.

After reading another locals views on the sign being to small (really? Are you going to complain about a sign?!), the decoration not being minimalistic enough (what do you want, a bland copy and paste Starbucks job) and the coffee being a 3/10 I would have to disagree and say i'm happy to support a local, growing business. The staff were nice and the service was good even though they are doing work next door to expand.

Overall, I will visit again.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 21 August 2017

The best coffee in town! The Plug is renowned for excellent coffee and well worth a visit. A very friendly place.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed 19 July 2017

Having read the rave reviews about this establishment I couldn't believe my luck, as I live locally. However, I find it impossible to relate the place I went to with the incredible reviews, although we are all entitled to our opinions, which I appreciate can vary widely. First of all, it is rather small and very basic from the outside, with the name in tiny letters at the side of the door The interior walls seem to be simply bare plaster. The furniture consists of benches, one long bare wooden table in front of the counter, and another one behind, all on a communal basis, so you are rubbing shoulders with strangers, there being no alternative. Incongruously, a bike hangs on the wall, this seeming to be the sole form of decoration. To call it all minimalist is an understatement.
I simply ordered an Americano, which took an age to arrive, although there were only 3 other customers To be generous, I would give the coffee 3 and a half out of ten. Despite there being few customers at the time, it was very noisy and unrelaxing, and all in all, I was relieved to get out. I am always reluctant to knock any relatively fledgling business, particularly a local one,but what I personally experienced, and what so many reviews led me to expect was totally incompatible. I stress, I only had the coffee there, no food, so cannot comment on anything other than that.

Date of visit: July 2017