“The Good, the Bad and the Ugly”

Edgewater Beach Hotel
Ranked #13 of 59 Hotels in Naples
Nashville, Tennessee
“The Good, the Bad and the Ugly”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Second stay here, same infuriating problem this time...try as I did weeks before arrival and again when we arrived at front desk my sister and I were refused two double beds instead of one king for Naples view room. (They had said we could 'request it'). Told me sev'l times before arriving they'd upgraded sofa 'sleeper' in living room --sleeper mattress on the first visit was a joke -- turned out this time it was just a sofa, no bed! This is unacceptable service for a considerable expense, and I'm guessing it's only the more expensive rooms that they'll give you two double beds. Other than this major problem -- which would preclude me from returning -- I give kudos to the bellmen, housekeeping and restaurant staff -- fabulous -- and the food in the restaurant was really top-notch. JWD, Nashville TN

Room Tip: It is absolutely unacceptable not to accommodate two people requesting two double beds instead of on...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jeanne D
Eric W, Manager at Edgewater Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you found the staff and food to be fabulous. I appoloigize for the issue you experienced with the reservation. We have recently started booking by bed types so you can book a suite and be guaranteed a bedding type rather than it only being a request. I believe this will surely help out the situation you mentioned and ensure your comfort on your next visit. The tower suites have recently had the furniture enhanced and as you mentioned there are no longer pull out sofas but we would be more than glad to provde a roll away bed. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance with a future booking. We look forward to being able to welcome you back to Edgewater again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Phoenix, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My husband and I just returned home from a 2 week stay at this wonderful resort. We found the grounds, pool area, lobby to be excellent. We had a 1 bedroom suite overlooking the Gulf and it too was great. Kitchen perfect for eating breakfast and lunches. Bed was extremely comfortable and housekeeping great. Our housekeeper was Gloria and she was the best.

We ate at Coast (hotel restaurant) a few time and the food was great. Lunch at the pool also great, with good service and wonderful drinks.

Colleen the concierge, very helpful with recommendations and reservations. I am not sure there is a bad restaurant in Naples.

We ended every evening with a nightcap at the bar, and found Kathy to be one of the best ambassadors for the hotel. Always a pleasure to talk to, and always happy. On her nights off, we enjoyed meeting, Eric, a young man with a lot of personality.

The entire staff made us feel like treasured guests, and we are looking forward to returning next year.

Almost forgot, the beach is one of the best, wonderful for walking and shelling. The birds are so entertaining, could watch the pelicans all day. Even had a couple of ducks walking on our beach.

Home in the cold, and missing the warm weather.

B

Room Tip: Gulf fronts have the best view of the beach and gorgeous sunsets.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marshallbd
Thank your fabulous review! I am so glad to hear you enjoyed our team and will make mention to Collenn, Gloria, Kathy and Eric of your mentioning them. It is the friendly, attentive, staff as Edgewater that makes it such a special place. I am also glad to hear you found having a kitchen in your suite to be convenient for having breakfast or lunch at leisure. Our beach is such a beautiful oasis and as you mentioned we have plenty of wildlife to keep you entertained. We will keep the sun shining and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Clean, but worn. We tried to use the sofa bed, but the mechanism was broken. The carpet was worn, Beds were OK. Kitchenette had a functional refrigerator. The gulf just off the hotel beach was really popular with the local pelicans and sea gulls which were fun to watch.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank charles m
Eric W, Manager at Edgewater Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you for your review. I notice it has been quite some time since you have visited our property. Our suites have been enhanced since your last visit and many of the comments you mentioned have been addressed. I am so glad you enjoyed the lovely beach at the hotel and the beautiful native birds that visit us as well. I hope you will return soon to see our newly enhanced product. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to personally assist you.
Teaneck, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 January 2014

After reserving this hotel we read some disparaging reviews and were thinking about cancelling. A friend went to "check it out" and reported that it was very nice. So we took a chance- and we are so happy we did! We can't think of a more tranquil and beautiful location to vacation. I didn't want to spring for an ocean view so we booked a "city " view. "City" means, lovely homes, palm trees and the canal. Our room 610 was quite nice- Big kitchen/dining /living room combo with new furniture ,large TV and narrow outdoor terrace with a few chairs. Our bedroom was a nice size with a very comfortable bed and luxurious linen and a second TV .The bathroom was very large with Tommy Bahama toiletries, many towels. The place was immaculate.

The pool area is just beautiful and the has free chairs although you have to rent the umbrellas.
The staff was so very friendly- gave us excellent tips as to which street bypass when driving into town etc. We did not use the restaurant on the premises so I can not comment on that.

I'm sure the negative reviews that I saw were due to the changes that the new management undertook to make this hotel the first class resort that we found. When we return to Naples we will definitely stay here!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank franbeth
Eric W, Manager at Edgewater Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Thank you for the kind review. I am glad you got to experience the Edgewater for yourselves! It truly is a beachfront gem with a gracious staff. I am glad you found our Naples View suites to be accomodating and that you enjoyed our new furnishings and the views. I am glad you found the enhancements to the property to be to your liking and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I was also very skeptical in booking my reservations with Edgewater as I studied all the reviews but I wanted a beach front hotel. Our Corp. travel department told me they would reschedule me to the Hilton if I got there and did not like. I requested an updated/renovated room overlooking the gulf and was I pleasantly surprised. It was wonderful, spacious, clean and relaxing. The food was fabulous and the service was excellent from check in, housekeeping, dining area etc.

My only recommendation would be the carpet. That looked as if it had not been replaced and was very dark compared to the entire suite. Would rather have no carpet - easier to clean up sand and dirt.

Thank you Edgewater for a most enjoyable stay for 5 days.

Room Tip: Ask for an renovated room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TMM1962
Eric W, General Manager at Edgewater Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the suites to be spacious, clean and relaxing. I am also glad you found the staff at the hotel were providing you with excellent service in all areas. We will surely remember your comments regarding the color choices in our suites when we complete future enhacements and thank you for the feedback. We hope to see you again soon.
County Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Absolutely delighted with our holiday , I was concerned when I read negative reviews before arriving, but my fears were soon allayed. Spotless, fantastic polite staff, and very comfortable accommodation. Beautiful pool and easy access to the magnificent beach.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Dub15
Eric W, Manager at Edgewater Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Thank you for your kind review! I am glad you found our staff to be fantastic and polite. We surely feel it is our team that makes the differnece in providing amazing service which allows us to stand out from other hotels in the area. I am glad to hear you found our beachside accomodations to be comfortable as well as your enjoyment of our pool and beach areas. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We've been staying at the Edgewater since 1999 and, although we've stayed at other places in Naples (LaPlaya, the Charter Club), it's always been our favourite. We were disappointed on our most recent visit (December 2013) as we arrived during the beach renourishment and the day before major refurbishment started by the new owners. Neither we nor our travel agent had been advised of this before we travelled which would have allowed us to weigh up whether to stay here or choose somewhere else. However, despite having nothing but complaints from all the residents, the staff at Reception and Eric, the General Manager coped with the situation very well and were very fair and reasonable in all our dealings with them.

We had a Naples view suite for the first time ever but we could still see water and it was a very pleasant outlook if not the beautiful vista of the Gulf of Mexico that we would have preferred. The suite was in definite need of refurbishment but was clean, spacious and well-equipped and, as I say, renovations began whilst we were there so I'm sure all the rooms will have been upgraded in the not too distant future.

The beach reopened and was as beautiful as ever and the new staff helpful, knowledgeable and attentive to just the right degree (although I think having to pay for umbrellas is unreasonable in Florida and should be covered by the resort charge).

Yes, there were problems during our stay but nothing can beat the location of the Edgewater and the staff, without exception, were fantastic.

We look forward to returning to the Edgewater and just hope that the new owners don't take it out of our price range!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jane H
Thank you for your continued support of the Edgewater Beach Hotel. We are constantly working to improve the quality of our suites and the services we provide our guests. I appologize that you had not received communication regarding the beach renourishment project which is now complete, but am glad you found our staff to be fair and resonable in dealing with your concerns. As you mention, our staff is fantastic and always looking out for the best interest of our guests. We hope Edgewater will remain your hotel of choice in the Naples area for years to come. Please let me know if there is anything I can personally do to assist you.