“Decent German Food” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cross street: 9th Street
Naples, FL
“Decent German Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

I'll preface this review by stating that I'm not German, but my wife is half German. She was craving German food so we went here for dinner tonight. When we first entered, the owner greeted us warmly. The place was empty, but that's not surprising since this is off-season. Still it would've been nice to see other customers dining.

We started with a potato pancakes with apple sauce appetizer ($8). The plate had three fairly large pancakes. The potato pancakes were crispy on the outside (albeit a tad overdone) and tender inside. My wife liked it, too.

All entrees come with a choice of soup or salad, and two sides are included. We both chose the salad. It was a pretty simple salad of mostly lettuce, a little bit of julienned carrots, a slice of tomato, and a couple of slices of cucumber. The vinaigrette dressing was decent - tart and mildly sweet. The owner brought us a small dish of german potato salad compliments of the house. The potato salad was really good, light on the vinegar. I couldn't tell if there was any mayo in the salad at all. If so, it was very light on the mayo. The potatos were sliced very thinly and just melted in your mouth.

I chose the pork Jaegerschnitzel (sp?) ($23) for my entree. My wife had the Sauerbraten. The Jaegerschnitzel was crispy on the outside. although I felt it was a bit overdone again. The meat was a little tougher than it should've been. I think this was mainly because it was thicker than it should've been. Maybe it should've been pounded thinner? The brown sauce was nice and thick but I would've liked to have seen some actual sliced mushrooms in it. I love mushrooms! The potato dumplings I chose as a side dish was pretty good. My wife liked it too, but she said it had peppers and she doesn't use (black) peppers in her recipe. The red cabbage we chose as the second side dish wasn't as tart as I would've liked.

We didn't have any room left for dessert. The portions were pretty big. I didn't feel that any part of the meal had small portions at all, as intimated by a previous reviewer.

Overall, I would say the food was decent. The service was superb. The wife/owner, who also served us, was very nice, friendly and very attentive.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Edgar Z

Naples, Florida
“the worst food I had for years”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

First I thought, OK, bad luck... But than I tried the Jaegerschnitzel.

Sorry but even the worst fast food restaurants next to the Autobahn (highway) in Germany having better tasting food.
The Schnitzel had no taste at all. The only taste I had, was of the oil they fried the meat in.
The original Jaeger sauce, as I know it, should have some mushrooms in it with a good rich flavor but there it is a brown sauce... and again... without any taste.

Guess there is nothing what can go wrong with the taste of in saltwater boiled Spaetzle (noodles) But the portion on each plate was a size of a tee cup...
My 11 year old son asked me, after we left, if he could get a Burger bc. he still felt hungry...
Never had a Schnitzel in my life, without any taste for a price of 28 Dollars.....

Visited February 2012
6 Thank Frank S
Naples, Florida
“OK, BUT WE HAD EXPECTED BETTER”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

JAEGERHAUS is owned and operated by a German couple. Hence, we had high hopes for great German fare.

Open only for dinner, JAEGERHAUS is tucked in the back of a plaza on North US41 behind MEL'S DINER. The interior is quite bland, but the tables are spaced far enough apart that noise is not a problem. Service is attentive, pleasant, and efficient.

The menu includes various appetizers, soups, salads, main courses, and desserts. Beer, wine, and other drinks are also available. The main entrees are generally in the $18-27 range. There is also a prix fixe menu which includes your choice of soup or salad, a main entree (pork or chicken) with 2 side dishes, and coffee for $22.50 -- a pretty good deal by Naples standards. Substituting veal adds $5 to your tab.

The food, alas, is inconsistent and more often than not forgettable. For example, cream of broccoli soup is very tasty but not as hearty as usual. A salad with German vinaigrette dressing is quite good, as is the creamed spinach side dish. However, the red cabbage, German potato salad, and spaetzle side dishes are only fair. Jaegerschnitzel (with pork in this case) includes a generous cutlet, but the breading is much overdone to a dark brown and the burgundy mushroom sauce is only so-so. The underlying pork cutlet is too dry and tough as a result.

While the dining room is clean, the bathroom floors are quite sticky and need a good cleaning. Hopefully, this does not reflect conditions in the kitchen.

VERDICT: The excellent service and good value are overshadowed by so-so food and other factors. Hence, the overall "average" rating.

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank George52_11
Dallas, Texas
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

We visit Naples about twice a year to see my husband's parents. We discovered Jaegerhaus one day while making a hair appt for his mother at a nearby salon. While we were looking at the menu posted in their window, the owner came out to chat and invited us in to look around, even though they were not yet open. The owners were so friendly and the menu looked good, so we made reservations right then and took his parents that night. I was fairly certain it would be a hit, since my father-in-law had been stationed as an Army chaplain in Germany for a few years and the family had a great love of both the German people they met and the food and they love to tell stories of their time there. The reminiscing began as soon as we were seated and everyone felt right at home. The owners waved at us, the waitress was friendly and attentive, the whole atmosphere was warm and inviting. We chose from a fixed-price menu that included your choice of a salad, an entree, a potato dish and a side dish and a small portion of dessert. The prices were very reasonable and the food was delicious, especially the schnitzel and the red cabbage! We all enjoyed the evening very much. We are going to be visiting again in October and we plan to return, this time taking his brother and his wife who will also be visiting from England. We expect it to become a favorite place for our family.

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank Judi S
“Nice, reasonably priced, ethnic alternative”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

Jaegerhaus may be the only German restaurant left in Naples. It is a modest place, seating perhaps 60-70, and is not easily seen from the street as it is behind Mel's Diner. Prices are reasonable by Naples standards, but Naples is an expensive town. As I recall, most of the entrees were priced in the high teens. Jaegerhaus is open Tuesday through Saturday for dinners only. Not sure if they open for lunch during the winter season. They do take-outs and free delivery, so if you're staying nearby but don't feel like going out, it's another alternative.

I had the chicken liver pate appetizer, sauerbraten with potato dumpling and red cabbage. Husband had the pork cutlet (Jaegerschnitzel?) with spaetzle and red cabbage. We shared an apple strudel for dessert. I was in the mood for ethnic food and might have ordered a German red wine but the waitress suggested that a California Merlot might be a better choice as the German reds tended to be on the sweet side. She was absolutely right.

The cuisine was not extraordinary but it was very good, the service was prompt and friendly, the portions adequate, and as previously stated, the prices were reasonable by Naples standards. Both of us were well satisfied and will likely return on our next visit.

• Visited July 2011