“Great German Food”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 9th Street
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Having heard and read a number of reviews about Jaegerhaus, we decided to take the plunge and travel to this highly rated establishment. We couldn't be happier with the results. My wife and I both had the Weinerschnitzel, spaetel, and red cabbage. What a fine meal. My grandmother, originally from Germany made a great red cabbage, but this was even better. The Schnitzel was a light as a feather. Unfortunately, the Spaetel was not up to our liking, but still good. The restaurant is small, but the service was excellent, and the atmosphere was very nice. My only advice, is to make reservations, especially during the busy season. We didn't and had to wait, but it was worth the time.

1  Thank BikerBob1

Reviewed 28 December 2012

Recently reopened in a new location. My wife and I thought we should give it a try. With no lit signage it is difficult to find at nite. This new place has very modest decor which does nothing to create an air of expectation or quality dining. Clearly the owners of this eatery don't believe in attractive food presentation as well. The entrees come served bare ( little or no garnish or creative presentation). The sides are served in what used to be known in the industry as monkee dishes. Again, no thought to visual appeal. We had reservations for 7pm on a Friday evening. Who would have thought that they would be out of the salad dressing I ordered or one of the very common sides I ordered? All this with a half empty dining room.
The schnitzel my wife ordered was well prepared and served hot. The bratwurst special I had tasted more like a Johnsonville brat than an authentic German wurst. The spinach side and red cabbage side were nothing to write back to Germany about.
All-in-all you get a whiff of German cuisine but if you want the real deal, buy yourself a ticket to Munich.....

Reviewed 6 December 2012

This small and family owned place serves authentic German specialties in a friendly, welcoming and cozy setting. The entrees are delightful -- much lighter and delicate than one might expect from a German classic restaurant. This is as close as one can hope to be to German home-style cooking without a long flight on Lufthansa!

Reviewed 22 July 2012

We had dinner at Jaegerhaus during a recent day trip to Naples, and we are so glad we did! My husband and I are both of German heritage, so we were craving authentic German cuisine. I must admit, I wasn't sure what to expect at first - the restaurant is tucked away behind a diner, and when we arrived the place was almost entirely empty (it was, however, 5:30 on a Thursday night during off season. . . . I was happy to see it fill up more as our dinner progressed) The inside of the restaurant is simple but very charming, complete with cuckoo clocks and lit candles. Our server (the wife/owner) was extremely attentive and made sure we enjoyed every bite. The potato pancakes were excellent, as was the pretzel bread. When she mentioned bringing us a serving of German potato salad I immediately yelled "made with white vinegar??" I had not had German potato salad (or even though of it, for that matter) for at least 20 years, since the last time I had my Grandma's (she passed in the '90s) It tasted EXACTLY the way hers tasted! My husband was beside himself when he saw knoedel on the menu because that is one of his favorite things, and he only gets it when he visits his Grandmother. He said it was perfect! We split the pork Wienerschnitzel and had black forest cake for dessert, both of which were wonderful and did not disappoint. All in all, we really enjoyed this dinner. The service and attentiveness was second to none, and the food exceeded all expectations. We have never been to Germany but have both grown up eating German food in our respective grandparents' homes in the mid-Atlantic. Aside from giving us a trip down memory lane for us, the food at Jaegerhaus was delicious, and the dining experience very enjoyable! Highly recommend.

1  Thank jlbho
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I'll preface this review by stating that I'm not German, but my wife is half German. She was craving German food so we went here for dinner tonight. When we first entered, the owner greeted us warmly. The place was empty, but that's not surprising since this is off-season. Still it would've been nice to see other customers dining.

We started with a potato pancakes with apple sauce appetizer ($8). The plate had three fairly large pancakes. The potato pancakes were crispy on the outside (albeit a tad overdone) and tender inside. My wife liked it, too.

All entrees come with a choice of soup or salad, and two sides are included. We both chose the salad. It was a pretty simple salad of mostly lettuce, a little bit of julienned carrots, a slice of tomato, and a couple of slices of cucumber. The vinaigrette dressing was decent - tart and mildly sweet. The owner brought us a small dish of german potato salad compliments of the house. The potato salad was really good, light on the vinegar. I couldn't tell if there was any mayo in the salad at all. If so, it was very light on the mayo. The potatos were sliced very thinly and just melted in your mouth.

I chose the pork Jaegerschnitzel (sp?) ($23) for my entree. My wife had the Sauerbraten. The Jaegerschnitzel was crispy on the outside. although I felt it was a bit overdone again. The meat was a little tougher than it should've been. I think this was mainly because it was thicker than it should've been. Maybe it should've been pounded thinner? The brown sauce was nice and thick but I would've liked to have seen some actual sliced mushrooms in it. I love mushrooms! The potato dumplings I chose as a side dish was pretty good. My wife liked it too, but she said it had peppers and she doesn't use (black) peppers in her recipe. The red cabbage we chose as the second side dish wasn't as tart as I would've liked.

We didn't have any room left for dessert. The portions were pretty big. I didn't feel that any part of the meal had small portions at all, as intimated by a previous reviewer.

Overall, I would say the food was decent. The service was superb. The wife/owner, who also served us, was very nice, friendly and very attentive.

1  Thank Edgar Z