“Such a Disappointment!”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 9th Street
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We have just returned from a less than salubrious dining experience at the Jaegerhaus Restaurant in Naples. We'd had high expectations, and looked forward to having some of our favorite German foods.

The first indication that things would not go well was the dining room itself. It's rather run-down and charmless, with insubstantial tables and chairs and no decor to speak of. Some
framed photographs are interesting, but are not shown to advantage on heavily painted walls. A small suit of armor(?) and a large cuckoo clock (not working) also seem dispossessed.

The lack of atmosphere could have been overlooked, however, if the food was authentic and well prepared. It was not; in most cases it was dreadful. On the plus side were the onion soup and garden salad with a light dressing that was simple but very refreshing. The red cabbage was also acceptable, if uninspired.

Things went downhill from there. The salmon was dry from overcooking and the noodles, which should have been slippery with butter, suffered from the same fate; overcooking resulted in a
sticky mass. The potato dumpling was inedible, a large grey lump of what tasted like a raw flour paste. The sauerbraten comprised thin slices of what kids like to call "mystery meat" slathered with a gummy gravy. It was essentially flavorless, not the lively commingling of sweet, sour and ginger that normally characterizes this hearty dish.

We were disappointed, to say the least, and did not linger for dessert.

P. S. My husband says the beer was good.

2  Thank Bonnie C

Reviewed 29 December 2012

Having heard and read a number of reviews about Jaegerhaus, we decided to take the plunge and travel to this highly rated establishment. We couldn't be happier with the results. My wife and I both had the Weinerschnitzel, spaetel, and red cabbage. What a fine meal. My grandmother, originally from Germany made a great red cabbage, but this was even better. The Schnitzel was a light as a feather. Unfortunately, the Spaetel was not up to our liking, but still good. The restaurant is small, but the service was excellent, and the atmosphere was very nice. My only advice, is to make reservations, especially during the busy season. We didn't and had to wait, but it was worth the time.

1  Thank BikerBob1
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Recently reopened in a new location. My wife and I thought we should give it a try. With no lit signage it is difficult to find at nite. This new place has very modest decor which does nothing to create an air of expectation or quality dining. Clearly the owners of this eatery don't believe in attractive food presentation as well. The entrees come served bare ( little or no garnish or creative presentation). The sides are served in what used to be known in the industry as monkee dishes. Again, no thought to visual appeal. We had reservations for 7pm on a Friday evening. Who would have thought that they would be out of the salad dressing I ordered or one of the very common sides I ordered? All this with a half empty dining room.
The schnitzel my wife ordered was well prepared and served hot. The bratwurst special I had tasted more like a Johnsonville brat than an authentic German wurst. The spinach side and red cabbage side were nothing to write back to Germany about.
All-in-all you get a whiff of German cuisine but if you want the real deal, buy yourself a ticket to Munich.....

Reviewed 6 December 2012

This small and family owned place serves authentic German specialties in a friendly, welcoming and cozy setting. The entrees are delightful -- much lighter and delicate than one might expect from a German classic restaurant. This is as close as one can hope to be to German home-style cooking without a long flight on Lufthansa!

Reviewed 22 July 2012

We had dinner at Jaegerhaus during a recent day trip to Naples, and we are so glad we did! My husband and I are both of German heritage, so we were craving authentic German cuisine. I must admit, I wasn't sure what to expect at first - the restaurant is tucked away behind a diner, and when we arrived the place was almost entirely empty (it was, however, 5:30 on a Thursday night during off season. . . . I was happy to see it fill up more as our dinner progressed) The inside of the restaurant is simple but very charming, complete with cuckoo clocks and lit candles. Our server (the wife/owner) was extremely attentive and made sure we enjoyed every bite. The potato pancakes were excellent, as was the pretzel bread. When she mentioned bringing us a serving of German potato salad I immediately yelled "made with white vinegar??" I had not had German potato salad (or even though of it, for that matter) for at least 20 years, since the last time I had my Grandma's (she passed in the '90s) It tasted EXACTLY the way hers tasted! My husband was beside himself when he saw knoedel on the menu because that is one of his favorite things, and he only gets it when he visits his Grandmother. He said it was perfect! We split the pork Wienerschnitzel and had black forest cake for dessert, both of which were wonderful and did not disappoint. All in all, we really enjoyed this dinner. The service and attentiveness was second to none, and the food exceeded all expectations. We have never been to Germany but have both grown up eating German food in our respective grandparents' homes in the mid-Atlantic. Aside from giving us a trip down memory lane for us, the food at Jaegerhaus was delicious, and the dining experience very enjoyable! Highly recommend.

1  Thank jlbho