“A disappointment”

GreenLeadersBronze level
North Yorkshire
“A disappointment”
Reviewed 15 February 2010

Having read the rave reviews on TripAdvisor perhaps we were expecting too much.
The hotel is situated a short distance from the Interstate highway on a very (very!) busy road. Its very near neighbours are a Perkins restaurant, a Hooters bar(!) and a Harley Davidson Motorcycle centre.
Nowhwere to walk to.
The Hotel is primarily a business hotel and I am sure would be an excellent choice for those on business, I do not feel that it is a holiday destination. It is some way out of Naples and it is not an easy journey due to the traffic and numerous sets of junctions which you have to pass through. The nearest beach is at the end of the forementioned road and costs $8 to park there.
Back to the hotel, reception was somewhat laid back with no help offered with luggage (although after the very casual first impression they were friendly enough). Our suite was fine, it overlooked the swimming pool and outdoor area (I guess 50% of rooms do so). The pool area was occasionally noisy at night. The bedroom had a king sized bed and an area containing the wash basin etc. off it, leading to the bathroom. The wash basin was cracked.. The toilet seat was of the 'rest room variety' -horseshoe shaped, no lid.
The kitchen area was reasonably equipped but lacked items such as a bottle opener and the quality of the cutlery left much to be desired.. The electric hob had a broken ring which could have been dangerous.
A particular annoyance was the room servicing person arriving just after 8am in the mornings. Again maybe OK for business users, but not for those on holiday.
On weekday evenings (not Friday) there are free drinks plus food from 5-7pm. The food tends to be of the mass produced burger type but appeared popular. One evening there was an outside bar-b-que which was good. Breakfast included some hot food, was OK but not great. The usual disposable everything.
Really good features included a little used gym and free internet access including a printer.
Definitely not a hotel we would return to, but as already mentioned good for business overnight stops.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
kctnaples, Kevin Short Hotel Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Naples, responded to this review, 16 February 2010
Alan B. Thank you for your review. I am very sorry you were disappointed with our establishment. We strive to provide a great experience to everyone of our guests whether on business or pleasure. I am sorry you did not let us know you had a problem with the sink, we would have been happy to move you and repair the broken item. As for the "laid back staff" I have spoken with every one of them and I promise you you will never get a laid back non helpful response ever again. Once again thank you for letting us know about the things we need to do better, without your feedback we cannot improve. Feel free to contact me directly if you ever need information or help. I hope we can host you again sometime in the future. Kevin J Short Hotel Manager kevin@hawthornnaples.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Polish first
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 30 December 2009

WOW!!!! We had a two bedroom suite for the four of us and it felt like we had our own apartment in Naples! One bedroom had a king size bed with its own bathroom and the other bedroom had two queen beds and its own bathroom as well. In the middle of the two bedrooms we had a living room, a full kitchen!, and a desk area.

But, the best part was the staff!! Very friendly and knowledgeable! My 8 year old daughter even wrote them a thank you note so you know she was impressed too!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Wilts, England
Reviewed 2 November 2009

This hotel was ideal for us - good location in North Naples (close to good shopping malls, restaurants and a lovely beach at Clam Pass), a decent amount of space and good facilities in the room (fridge, dishwasher, hob, microwave, crockery/cutlery etc) The hot cooked breakfast each morning was OK, especially when I spotted the waffle maker, and the pool area looked good too - although we preferred to go to the beach and swim in the sea. It was very useful to have a laundry room as well and the little shop in the hotel sold individual boxes of washing powder for $1. Great to have free wi-fi too. All in all, it was excellent value for money

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
Wales
Reviewed 17 October 2009

A well situated hotel very close to the i75 and easy to reach from the SW florida airport at Fort Myers. Excellent rooms with very comfortable beds and good facilities. Welcoming and efficient staff with nothing too much trouble. A good hot breakfast and a great happy hour.
Monday thru Thursday. Close to some of the best beaches. We had a great stay and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
New Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 October 2009

I was booked into the Hawthorn for a week doing business in Naples. The facility was clean, the pool was pleasant, and the staff was always eager to help. The rooms are large with a kitchenette. It was nice to have a frig for the week. Although, with the breakfast it wasn't as necessary. I did like being able to bring leftovers back and reheat them the next night while I worked.

Over all, I look forward to returning to the hotel. Having stayed in other of these types of hotels, it was the best to date. I agree the bed is fabulous.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Scotland
Reviewed 14 July 2009

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite for 1 night as part of a quick visit to Naples for which we paid $135.

On arrival we thought the hotel as great. Very clean and modern. The master had a double bed and there was 2 double beds in the second room so we didn't need the bed settee in the living room.

The Exercise room went down well with my eldest teenager who was getting withdrawal symptoms from exercise so he spent an hour in there.

Location was OK - couldn't walk anywhere (except Hooters which we decided to miss) but an easy drive into Naples. Very easy to find hotel from I75.

Breakfast was reasonable but not the healthiest I've seen.

Major drawback was the noise from the Aircon. In July the evenings are still hot and there is just no way we could sleep with the aircon on - it is locked in a cupboard in the master bedroom but even in the second bedroom the kids found it too noisy to sleep so it had to go off.

Nothing else against the hotel but wouldn't go back in summer. Should be fine in cooler months though.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
kctnaples, Hotel Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Naples, responded to this review, 15 July 2009
Thank you very much for alerting us to the problem with the noise of the air conditioning in your suite. I would appreciate it if you would email me directly at kevin@hawthornnaples.com so I could get the room number you stayed in and investigate the problem. I hope you will again return to see us and thank you very much for your time to write and let us know of your thoughts about the Hawthorn Suites Naples. Kevin J Short Hotel Manager
Bristol
Reviewed 6 May 2009

I am only confirming what others have said about this fine hotel but as I set great store by booking almost every holiday checking through TAs site I will add a few lines. The hotel is in a nice spot just off the main road , that said it is quiet enough with a fountain outside the main enterance which on a hot day is a pleasing site. Check-in and desk staff were always helpfull as were all hotel staff. Our room 207 was on the side, no noise, good size, seperate bedroom a little extra but worth it ,lounge and kitchen with good size fridge/freezer,etc, everything was spotless,( thank you housekeeping ). One of the many things I Iiked about this hotel was the opening windows (only a small way so kids are safe) in bedroom and lounge, on a hot day it was great to come back to fresh air. Bar area good as was Wed night free bar and BBQ around the pool, this area had a relaxing effect after a long day, palm trees, heated pool etc. Included breakfast was fine. Two restaurants just outside the hotel, walking 100yds. My wife and I stayed 3 nts I wish it had been longer. Thank you Management and all Staff for making this a good stay.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple