“Functional and good value - but bad toliet soured our experience”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Naples
Ranked #13 of 59 Hotels in Naples
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 July 2010

We came back to Naples for our anniversary, after having a great time in 2008. At that time we stayed at another hotel, but tried the Hawthorn after reading reviews and getting a suite with a full kitchen.

The room is basic but functional, as it was nice to have a full size fridge and microwave to keep and reheat our leftover dinner. Also good was the bed was better than average for a hotel. Free breakfast was also good - where can I get those chocolate chip donuts!

However, we had to move to a different room after our second night. When we first arrived our toilet would flush but appeared to flush slowly. It became clogged when I woke up after the second night (flush with urine only), and went down and got a plunger from the front desk. This unclogged it to some degree, but would not flush down toilet paper when I tested. Maintenance came - but the very young-looking man defiantly does not know much about plumbing. I was offered another room - but was right across from the elevator (and we did not want to listen to that all day and night). After further wrangling we were given another room - with a toilet that worked much better.

This two hour experience soured things - especially since each person we sought for help (two at front desk and maintenance) did not appear overly apologetic for our situation. I did get one quick apology at one point, but overall did not feel the overwhelming service many others on Trip Advisor raved about.

If we go back to Naples, we would rather stay where we did in 2008 (see my previous review of that hotel). Overall, assuming the toilet in our first room is not what is normal, this hotel could be a good option for someone wanting value with a full kitchen. Just put some toilet paper and test flush when you first arrive.....

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
kctnaples, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Naples, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2010

I apologize for your difficulty with the toilet. We do have low flow toilets as mandated by the State of Florida and if you do not hold the lever down an extra 2 or 3 seconds clogs can develop that do require more than plunging. I apologize that you did not receive a heartfelt apology I will speak with the entire staff as any complication encountered should be treated seriously. I am sorry you choose not to return to see us and I invite you to contact me directly at kevin@hawthornnaples.com. I would love to invite you back at some point.

Respectfully

Kevin J Short
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 26 July 2010

This hotel exceeded my expectations. We had a mini suite with a full kitchen, sm living rm and bedroom. The hotel was very clean inside and out. We had a free breakfast every morning and a happy hour Monday thru Thrusday. What more could you ask for. The location of the hotel was perfect for the beach, shopping and for me visiting family. I would recommend this hotel to everyone!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2010

This is the forth year we have stayed at Hawthorn Inn. The management make you feel like you are part of their family. They give you the feeling that they care. The workers bend over backwards to please you. Its a great place to meet people and to make lasting friendships. We would like to thank Kevin, Tom, Juan, and Wanna for making our vacations great.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2010

We were there for 12 nights in feb, pleasantly surprised with the standard of accommodation relaxing room with adequate cooking facilities and a very good quality bed. Room serviced daily. Excellent Laundry room on site $3 to do a large wash and dry avaiable 24 hrs a day. Free hot breakfast maybe not great for English tastes but the free wine, beer and hot nibbles 4 nights a week were great. Only downside pool too small.
Car essential. Overall very good value well managed hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2010

TO ALL PET OWNERS: This hotel has an outrageous pet policy. We had stayed at another Hawthorne Suites hotel on the east coast of FL & were charged a fee of $10 for the night we booked. This hotel charged us an amount equal to the rate of another room plus taxes to keep our crate trained 4-pound dog in the room w/us. Upon check-in I asked the clerk about this & was promised an answer by check-out but that didn't happen so I emailed & called several times. Management finally told us the owner refused to budge & has even increased the pet fee.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank lysee11
Reviewed 15 February 2010

Having read the rave reviews on TripAdvisor perhaps we were expecting too much.
The hotel is situated a short distance from the Interstate highway on a very (very!) busy road. Its very near neighbours are a Perkins restaurant, a Hooters bar(!) and a Harley Davidson Motorcycle centre.
Nowhwere to walk to.
The Hotel is primarily a business hotel and I am sure would be an excellent choice for those on business, I do not feel that it is a holiday destination. It is some way out of Naples and it is not an easy journey due to the traffic and numerous sets of junctions which you have to pass through. The nearest beach is at the end of the forementioned road and costs $8 to park there.
Back to the hotel, reception was somewhat laid back with no help offered with luggage (although after the very casual first impression they were friendly enough). Our suite was fine, it overlooked the swimming pool and outdoor area (I guess 50% of rooms do so). The pool area was occasionally noisy at night. The bedroom had a king sized bed and an area containing the wash basin etc. off it, leading to the bathroom. The wash basin was cracked.. The toilet seat was of the 'rest room variety' -horseshoe shaped, no lid.
The kitchen area was reasonably equipped but lacked items such as a bottle opener and the quality of the cutlery left much to be desired.. The electric hob had a broken ring which could have been dangerous.
A particular annoyance was the room servicing person arriving just after 8am in the mornings. Again maybe OK for business users, but not for those on holiday.
On weekday evenings (not Friday) there are free drinks plus food from 5-7pm. The food tends to be of the mass produced burger type but appeared popular. One evening there was an outside bar-b-que which was good. Breakfast included some hot food, was OK but not great. The usual disposable everything.
Really good features included a little used gym and free internet access including a printer.
Definitely not a hotel we would return to, but as already mentioned good for business overnight stops.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
kctnaples, Kevin Short Hotel Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Naples, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2010

Alan B. Thank you for your review. I am very sorry you were disappointed with our establishment. We strive to provide a great experience to everyone of our guests whether on business or pleasure. I am sorry you did not let us know you had a problem with the sink, we would have been happy to move you and repair the broken item. As for the "laid back staff" I have spoken with every one of them and I promise you you will never get a laid back non helpful response ever again. Once again thank you for letting us know about the things we need to do better, without your feedback we cannot improve. Feel free to contact me directly if you ever need information or help. I hope we can host you again sometime in the future. Kevin J Short Hotel Manager kevin@hawthornnaples.com

Reviewed 30 December 2009

WOW!!!! We had a two bedroom suite for the four of us and it felt like we had our own apartment in Naples! One bedroom had a king size bed with its own bathroom and the other bedroom had two queen beds and its own bathroom as well. In the middle of the two bedrooms we had a living room, a full kitchen!, and a desk area.

But, the best part was the staff!! Very friendly and knowledgeable! My 8 year old daughter even wrote them a thank you note so you know she was impressed too!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family