“Invisible Management”

Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Park Shore
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We like to share only positive reviews but here's our first and, hopefully, only negative one.

We arrived in the evening as a party of six at 7:15. We were told it would be a twenty minute wait but we were pleasently seated in much less time. Our waitress was soft-spoken and seemed flustered. She promptly took our drink orders and appeared with them quickly. After that everything turned slow, very slow. By 8:50 we watched as parties who had been seated along with us left and parties who had arrived after us enjoyed their entrées. We had yet to receive ours. Then, with a crash, what appeared to be a portion of our order was dropped. Shards of dinnerware drew blood from a diner at another booth. He was naturally angry and wanted the manager. Carrabba's at this location has an open kitchen and there was a lot of commotion and unpleasant language. I went to the hostess station to complain. No manager made her or himself known to me. I was informed by the greeter that our waitress was having a bad day.

We then were hurried along. My food was cold, most likely prepared pre-crash. The other dishes were hot but not exactly what we ordered. By then the patronage was thinning and we were frustrated. We received a number of sorries, the only heartfelt one being from the waitress who was clearly shaken.

During this recent Florida trip, even the most pedestrian chains sent their managers table to table to ask about our experience. Not here, the only thing asked of us was to pay the bill in full. Our complaint was not with the waitress, who we genuinely felt sorry for; our issue was with the total lack of management.

1  Thank Charles T

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Hi priced, low value cafeteria type italian food. Food was bland and lacked flavor. Was not impressed.

2  Thank Tony W
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I have really liked this Carrabbas on past visits, but was disappointed this time. We went for lunch, two adults and a five year old who is on a gluten free diet. I had read that Carrabas had gluten free options, but I found out not really for kids. And their gluten free options for adults are limited to asking for meats prepared without the grill baste, and without any bread or croutons or pasta.
The only two things on the kids menu he could eat were the chicken breast and the kabob. He had an overdone chicken breast the day before from another restaurant, so he chose the kabob. It came with broccoli which he isn't eating these days, so I ordered him the mashed potatoes. The mashed potatoes came with big chunks of red onion mixed in; not appealing at all to any of us. Together with the kabobs with large red onion slices he simply rejected his meal. He tried the meat, but wasn't having any part of the red onions.
Now, aside from his aversion to green vegetables and red onions, this child has a hearty appetite. He eats every fruit in the world, even the most exotic, loves gluten free pasta and pizza, sweet potatoes, rice, baked potatoes, carrots, turkey, chicken, fresh fish, none of which was available as an alternative for him. We asked. No fruit at all available? I was disappointed when our server told us that.
Construction type workers were present at the restaurant while we ate which may account for the terribly loud noises coming from the toilets in the restroom, and the bad smell in the restroom. Anyway, came back and my barely lukewarm pasta fagioli was served along with my friends salad, bread and dipping oil. Nothing for the hungry child. A few minutes later the waiter brought out a small plate with some great looking play dough- real dough for my grandson to play with while we ate in front of him. Under normal circumstances I would have thought this a wonderfully creative diversion. But when presented to a hungry gluten free child it was not a good choice. Grandma has seen him sneak pieces and licks of lots of batter and dough while cooking which is not a problem since I cook gluten free for him. But it is a problem for a gluten free child. So he played for a few minutes with the real dough before we asked the waiter to take it away so he wouldn't eat it. And it meant another restroom trip to wash hands thoroughly.
My friend and I both had ordered the lunch margherita pizza. When it came after my grandson rejected his meal we just ordered boxes to take the pizza home with us. I wasn't eating anything else in front of a hungry child who just had apple juice. Had the pizza later at home and it was excellent; just the way I like it. My friend's salad was very good; a good sized portion.
With gluten free options being widely available and offered at many restaurants in town it was disappointing that because of no good gluten free options for kids at Carrabas our lunch was ruined.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Love Carrabas. You can always count on a good meal here. Prices are very reasonable and the service is great. This location is always busy, so if you want to dine during peak hours there will be a long wait. Blackberry Sangria is THEBOMB.COM! On this last visit, I had the pork tenderloin medallions, which were excellent! Have had a lot of different dishes and have never been disppointed.

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We were in town for the beach. We didn't really plan to come here. We have been to other Carraba's in our home state and the overall experience has been "meh". But this was really close to our hotel. MY OH MY WHAT A PLEASANT SURPRISE!

The meal was great and the service just as good! The best part is we didn't go over our budget..... nice! Will return here on our next vacation.

2  Thank Daniela K