“Great Fishing”

Down South Charters - Capt. Mike Schmidt
More attraction details
Owner description: Down South Charters offers an extravagant experiance of fishing in the backwaters of the 10,000 Islands and Everglades National Park.
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I booked a trip with Capt. Mike on 5-27-14. I took my 2 teenage sons with me. We went out in the gulf about 6 miles. We caught fish for 5 straight hours. We caught so many fish we have no idea how many fish we caught nor how many different species. We caught 2 large gag groupers and one very large snook. More importantly we had a great time with a great guide. We will be back.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I booked a trip with Capt'n Mike this past Sunday for my Dads B day present. We spoke on Saturday to touch base and he informed me we may be venturing near shore as the inshore fishing wasn't that hot. While it didn't sound like good news I told him we were up fro anything, just looking to catch fish!

We headed out to the first of 3 inshore reefs and the fish were biting from the first cast. We hooked up a bunch of trout, blue runners, blue fish, mackerel, a bunch of others I can't remember the names. Then we used some of the smaller fish as bait and caught a Goliath grouper! It was amazing and made the morning. After this Goliath grouper we also caught some bull sharks- the biggest we got to the boat was about 6ft long.

Satisfied with this spot we decided to venture out further to another reef in looking for some bigger cobia or Tarpon. After arriving to the new spot we saw some tarpon rolling. We stalked them with the trolling motor and then had some of the best fishing I have even experienced. We casted lures at these 150lb+ tarpon and I managed to hook up with 3 of them. I couldn't land them but sure had a good time fighting and watching them jump.

I'll looking forward to booking another trip and getting a new chance to land those tarpon!

Mike

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Its always great to be out on the water but if your an avid fisherman it's even better to have an amazing day of catch and release. A buddy of mine came down from Tampa to see what all the fuss was about with my fishing trips with Capt. Mike. Well now he understands. Was a little choppy but made it out to one of Mikes honey holes and started right in. About 8 or 9 different species the first 2 hours then I hit my First spinner shark. After 50 years of fishing saltwater I didn't expect anything too surprising. A Spinner shark is something else! After 15 min. of fighting he jumped 6 feet in the air and we saw a huge Goliath groper after him. Tore him up. Then landed 2 large Cobia in the next hour. Always go home with tall tales and sore arms with Capt. Mike. Can't wait till next week.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

On March 22, 2014 I took my son in law and two grandsons on a 6 hour fishing trip with Captain Mike. It was a wonderful outing. He is pleasant, very knowledgeable and capable. His boat and gear were top notch. We had a tarpon on the line but a shark wanted it and took it. Brought a 6 foot lemon shark to the boat and released it. Not content to sit idle when the tide died, we changed locations and really hit the jackpot. Caught and released a ~40 lb grouper, caught and released two nice black drum, caught enough whiting, sea trout and pompano for a nice dinner. All in all a perfect day!

Reviewed 16 February 2014

My Husband and I booked a fishing trip during our stay at Port of the Islands in December, 2013. My intention was to ride in the boat and enjoy the wildlife and my husband's was to go fishing. I considered fishing to be last on my list of things to do and my love for my husband is great as we booked the trip on our anniversary. Captain Mike had other ideas for me. He baited my hook, gave me instructions and handed me the rod. I wanted nothing to do with removing fish from the hook and Captain Mike gladly obliged. I never thought that we would be fishing on our anniversary and certainly never thought that I would enjoy it! We caught white fish, trout, grouper, and red snapper. The baby hammer head shark had to go back into the Gulf! We caught enough fish for three very large meals. If you like the out of doors, wildlife, and adventure, I recommend Captain Mike as a great guide! We had a beautiful day and a beautiful time fishing on the Gulf!