“A very pleasant surprise”

Gulfcoast Inn Naples
Ranked #37 of 59 Hotels in Naples
Largo, Florida
“A very pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I must admit that I had trepidations about a deal this good. $159 for two nights including breakfast and one dinner. Wow! I met a high school friend there last week and we had a delightful time. The pool was just wonderful and the area around the pool immaculate. The rooms were clean and well furnished. Harold's Bar served a delicious lunch and the price was right! Dinner at Fujiyama was as good as any hibachi dinner as I ever have had. All in all I recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank EnidBetty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
England
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We arrived at the GCI early evening and after a quick check in were pleasantly surprised at the lovely atmosphere as we waked past Harold's Bar! It was Sunday and Karaoke night.
Our rooms were perfect with everything we needed for our 3 night stay.
The beds were huge and very soft, as were the pillows. I must say I prefer firm beds and flatter pillows but that's just my preference and nothing to complain about.
The free breakfast had the usual cereals, bagels, juice etc and also a waffle maker. The breakfast room is very pleasant and clean.
We had rooms by the pool and Harold's bar, I didn't find it noisy at all during or after closing and I'm 64 years old, in fact I thought it was great to sit by the pool watching the local seniors spending their afternoons having a good time in the lovely setting.
I only wished we had been there longer and would certainly recommend the GCI.
I'm from the UK and find most of the places we visit and stay at in America great, I read some of these negative reviews before travelling and am always pleasantly surprised that things are far better than expected.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Liz35
Malta, Ohio
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Our room was clean, spacious and beach-y. We liked the efficiency apartment style with a very comfortable bed. The location is especially nice; close to beaches, shopping, dining,(on site as well as nearby)and attractions such as golf and the zoo.The free breakfast was nice, bagels, doughnuts, cereal or make your own belgian waffles, and it was a pleasant time to socialize with other guests. We look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Margie I
Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

This old and outdated hotel is in need of some serious TLC. The beds are old and boxy. The bathrooms were rusty, musty, and had the poorest water pressure ever. The door had gaps that let all the outside sounds in and the sometimes it took 7 tries to get the card reader to unlock it. Maybe this was a nice room back in 1987 but, it doesn't work anymore.

The absolute and only best part of staying here were the bars and restaurants. Harold's was busy every night and they pour nice strong drinks and the staff always remembered what you had. I had the best sushi ever at this place. The chef was meticulous and focused when he prepared each course and I left full and satisfied. I'm sure if Anthony Bourdain ever visited this place, he would agree with me about the food and booze. I say that mostly because they are always filled with the 'locals'.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Olsonkmn
Leominster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

After check in the allocated rooms were not good especially one that smelt this was changed. Both our rooms had children and they were in the near vicinity of the bar which became very noisy until just after midnight.
Then about an hour later people started returning from nights out and the noise and language were not child friendly. This went on to 3
I know people should be able to enjoy their holidays in different ways but in that case room allocation becomes important
We had booked in the GCI for 2 nights to complete our florida holiday after one.
While we were having breakfast and obtains a refund a guest came into breakfast with no shirt
Won't be going back or recommending

• Stayed April 2013
GCINAPLES, Front Office Manager at Gulfcoast Inn Naples, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Sorry about your experience. If you did not want to be near the pool or bar area, we would have been more than happy to move your rooms to a different location. Ask us next time. If there were other loud guest in the night, we will be more than happy to put a stop to any people causing the issues. If we are not told about the problem, there is no way for us fix it. Keep that in mind when traveling in the future. Thank you.

Travellers are raving about these Naples hotels

Kingston, New York
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Front desk gave me a very dated, saggy bed, back-of-the-inn room. When I asked for another one I was told there were no others. About 1/2 hour later my brother asked for a room and was given a pool-side really nice updated room. The pool is filthy, the towels must be returned by 10 pm or else they charge you $10 (even if you're staying longer than one day!), and they have a bar/restaurant in the pool area but do not serve by the pool. WTH? The whole place is just sort of half-baked. Not luxurious by any means, just very, very basic. Granted, the price is very reasonable, but is it too much to ask for cleanliness? The breakfast is your typical horrible carb-filled white-bread-a-plenty continental breakfast with bad coffee served in shot-glass sized cups. Not to mention I have a service dog and after providing her papers two days later got a v/m from "JJ" they needed more documentation. When I called him back, he said that housekeeping "complained" they had to change the comforter because there was urine on it. My dog did not urinate in the bed. Just a very cheesy place. Sadly due to it being a holiday week there's nowhere else to go.

Room Tip: I always have a look at the room before accepting it. This hotel, even though they had additional r...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank depogrl
GCINAPLES, Manager at Gulfcoast Inn Naples, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Are you Kidding me???? Really??? I don't know where to start. All the comments are completley false.
1. The room you are staying in was just remodled 6 monthes ago & looks very nice. We have not had 1 complaint from any guest in that room.
2. Yes, the towels need to be returned daily. That is our way of keeping them from dissapearing, which had been a big issue in the past, but no longer thanks to the new procedure.
3. Harold's Place is the bar & grille, which is located poolside. However they are under seperate management. They DO serve the TABLES around the pool area, but do not service all the lounge chairs, as there are several dozen around the pool area.
4. When traveling with a service dog, there are 3 peices of required service dog doucumentation that should be readily available. A doctors letter stating the need of a companion/service dog. Certification that the dog has been trained as a service dog or companion pet. The last is a veternarian's certification that the companion pet has proper shots & is in proper health as a companion pet.
You provided the the letter from doctor only. The other 2 were not provided anytime during your stay.
5. The pool is cleaned twice a day.
6. The linens did have to be replaced due to having urine on them. The assumption was made that is was the dog that was responsible.

Last but not least. You booked a 2 night reservation, but ended up staying 6 nights. If the accomadations are so terrible, Why would you stay 4 additional night??????????
ohio
Reviewed 27 March 2013

This was not a typical stay for us. Initially, we were surprised when we found out at the front desk that the room would only have a dorm-sized refrigerator; we usually like to buy food to eat some meals and snacks on our own. However, the staff accommodated our concern and found a room with a bit larger fridge.

When we first arrived at the room, we were shocked: the only place to sit, other than what looked like a doctor's operating chair, was an ice cream parlor-type table with high, cushioned metal seats. (We never did sit on them as they were too high!) There was a king-sized bed and an almost apartment-sized refrigerator. And there was a microwave. We thought it was weird that there was only one sink, which was not in the bathroom, but we did get used to that.

That first view of the room was actually kind of upsetting, and we didn't think we'd even stay at the place. We went to the bar/restaurant, ordered some food (which was delivered on styrofoam and plastic) and then sat by the pool to discuss options.

After talking, we decided that not all places we visit will be like condos or hotels--this one is something different. It's like a hotel where the rooms are individually owned and decorated, and some are NOT decorated well. But that's not the fault of the management.

We just learned to adapt. We stood at the table when we needed to look over our maps. And we ate in the pool area or on our bed for our snacks and lunches. We got used to the cramped little toilet/shower room.

There were tiny little ants all over the counter, but they were pretty harmless, and we made sure they were not able to get to our food.

As continental breakfasts go, this one is pretty bare-bones. There is nothing really fresh or nutritious. Usually at a CB you might find fresh fruit (even just bananas) and maybe some oatmeal bags, but this one only has bagels, cheap-o donuts, waffle mix, and for beverages, OJ, cocoa packets, apple juice, and coffee. There was no cereal, no milk, and I don't think there was even toast. One of the other couples brought their own English muffins daily to toast, and I did covet them.

The breakfast attendant said pretty regularly, "If you don't see what you want to eat here, go on to the grocery store and get it yourself," and she amused herself that way with all of the guests. I don't know why she didn't just pick up a little variety.

The front desk staff was neither friendly, nor unfriendly, just indifferent, though they were helpful. The bar/restaurant staff and cleaning staff were very friendly.

The pool was nice, and we appreciated that even on super-busy days, there were always lounge chairs available.

Overall, it was not a bad place to stay, just different. The place was not dirty, and the staff was very generous with towels and let us come down to the front desk area any time--day or night--to get plates, cups, napkins, extra coffee, forks and knives, etc. (So don't worry that the room is not stocked for eating meals there! They will make it work for you.)

The price was decent and it was only 1-1/2 miles to the beach, so it was a WONDERFUL short walk! Also, since it's right on the main road, everything is easily accessible.

Room Tip: We had Room 201---certainly nothing special. Just plan on sleeping there.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple