“So many things wrong even a discounted rate doesn't make this worth it”

Bayfront Inn 5th Ave
Ranked #31 of 59 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We got married last weekend in Naples and all of our family reserved rooms (a total of 6) at this hotel for their stay. Needless to say, the AAA discounted price we all were given didn't even make this hotel a good deal or worth it given all of the things we experienced.

1. Check-in: It was horrible! 2 of the 6 parties got put into rooms that weren't in their names, credit cards didn't match, room keys didn't work and the discounted price was not documented on the reservations. Some people had to go back to the front desk 2 or 3 times to give a credit card because each time they were told they didn't have one on file. Check-in should be pleasant & easy- It's the first impression!!!!

2. Pool: The pool is very nice, clean and had plenty of chairs to layout on. The hot tub was clean and hot, perfect for relaxing in. The hotel offers small & large pool towels. At 9am we were told there were no large pool towels available. No one else was at the pool, not sure why none were available.

3. Hotel Bar: The bartenders are foreign exchange students, I applaud the hotel for giving them jobs. However they need some lessons in manners and bartending etiquette. The one gentleman, Ivan, takes our $5 bill for a $4 beer and in the midst asks, "can I keep the dollar?" Typically you don't ask to keep the change, if I want to tip you I will do so. The next transaction would've had approx. $0.23 in change, he kept it!
I had ordered a Bombay Saphire & seltzer, which is a drink I order often when out for cocktails. Bombay has a very unique taste, you can tell when it's in your drink or not. I couldn't taste it at all. I even had my husband try it and he said the same thing. I didn't say anything, it was late and I wasn't in the mood to make a fuss. Interestingly enough shortly after I see Ivan filling a Rose's Lime bottle with Taste of Florida Lime. I questioned him on why he was putting one into the other. He said, oh it's a nicer bottle. Well yes it was a nice glass bottle versus the plastic one. But don't be fooled, what he was doing was putting a CHEAPER product into a HIGHER quality bottle to make it appear as if you were getting the better product. Makes me think rail gin is in the Bombay bottle versus the real deal which would explain why I couldn't taste it.

Hotel Food: Due to the hotel construction, the hotel doesn't have a regular kitchen. The bartenders told us the make-shift kitchen located outside the pool gate is actually an old bathroom they converted so they could continue to offer some type of food. Slighty disgusting but okay. Several times we walked by the "kitchen" on our way to the pool and saw trays of food out in the open, uncovered. Once a pan full of bacon was on the ground. There are so many things wrong with this! I am just glad we never ordered any food.

4. Maid service: While our maid service was fine and our room was cleaned every day, there were 2 parties in our group that didn't get their rooms cleaned one night. The explanation they received was "we're sorry, but we were just too busy and fell behind. You'll have to wait until tomorrow" NOT sure why this is our problem but perhaps you should hire more staff.

5. The rooms are old and as people have mentioned they need some remodeling. The bathroom sinks don't train very quickly, the doors don't close correctly so there are gaps, the pillows are mushy (you'll need like 4 of them to prop your head up). If you get an upgraded bed you have to request the remote control and even then it might now work which is what happened to one of our family members. The showers are amazing, very good pressure. There are no screens on the windows, seems like a safety hazard to me. If you have small children you'd have to be certain they didn't open the window and fall to their death. Sounds horrible but let's face the fact that it could happen since they don't have screens on the windows and they slide right open.

6. Check-out: Once again, horrible! The same people who had issues at check-in because of being placed in someone else's room once again couldn't check out because the room was STILL in a diff. name. After a long conversation and more debate they finally checked out. Just a mess!

7. Location: Amazing! Blocks from 5th Avenue and across the street from Tin City. There is a tunnel that goes under 41 which makes access to Tin City safe and convenient. The Bayfront area is very nice and offers some very good restaurants, bars & salons nearby. Plenty of parking for everyone staying at the hotel too.

Doubtful we will stay here again, which is too bad because the location is awesome but the hotel just doesn't have it together.

Room Tip: When reserving a room, I would choose a room that faces the bay. The sunrise is beautiful in the mor...
2  Thank i2smile
-BarryGHiggins, General Manager at Bayfront Inn 5th Ave, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

I am so sorry that you were so disappointed with your stay with us.
Respectfully part of the reason your check in/check out was awkward was because a single individual booked all (6) of your rooms and held the rooms with their personal credit card.
I am sorry that we did not have large pool towels ready for you at 9AM I have spoken with our head of house keeping regarding this and she will be addressing with our laundry staff.
In regards to our bartenders etiquette, you are absolutely right. The bartender who served you is new to bar-tending and he should not have been working alone. He made several mistakes while he was serving you and I am very sorry. I have spoken with his supervisor and he has been corrected and trained properly. In regards to the "marrying" of two different types of lime juice this was an innocent mistake and again due to his inexperience as a bartender. In regards to substituting well liquor for call liquor this is illegal and not a practice at our hotel. The only explanation that I have for you is again because of his inexperience he served you well liquor instead of what you had requested, I am so sorry.
In regards to our temporary kitchen. The area you are referring to was once a pool bath. When we began our renovations our regular kitchen was closed to be remodeled and our pool baths were also closed and one relocated. We created a temporary kitchen so that we could still offer a light menu to our guests. The temporary kitchen although it was originally a pool bath was specifically remodeled for this purpose. Im sorry that the idea of this is upsetting to you. Also because this is located in a public area our guests at times will see food in various stages of preparation. I have spoken with the food and beverage manager regarding "a full pan of bacon on the ground" I do not know under what circumstances this would have occurred but it is certainly unacceptable and not our practice.
I have spoken with our head of housekeeping regarding your rooms that did not get serviced and "we're sorry but we were just too busy and fell behind, you'll have to wait until tomorrow" is not a response any of our supervisors would have given a guest. All of our room attendants are paid by the room, not by the hour so they stay until the last room is done. I wish I had another response, perhaps check again with the parties who say that their rooms did not get serviced, maybe there was a misunderstanding.
In regards to your comments about our rooms I'm sorry you felt our rooms were old and in need of remodeling, if you read our other reviews this is not a regular comment. In regards to upgraded bed also we have never had a single negative comment on one of our premium luxury room Sleep By Number beds not working, I am sorry that one of your family members had an issue with the beds remote control not working, I hope our staff resolved this for you quickly. I am sorry that our windows do not have screens and made you feel unsafe. This is also a new comment for us.
I am very glad that you enjoyed our location.
It sounds as though you had an unusually rough stay with us, and I am so sorry. We are very sad when any guest leaves our property and is unhappy. If you would like to respond to any of my comments with additional information I can be emailed at general manager@bayfrontinnnaples.com. Thank you for giving us a try and congratulations on your wedding!

Reviewed 16 January 2014

We had a fairly good experience with this hotel last year and chose to use them again this time. What a mistake! Although I was aware of the traffic noise due to its' busy corner location, the hotel made no mention of the fact that it was under heavy construction. What ensued was a nightmare of workers making all kinds of noise, in one case starting before 7AM!!. A cherry picker being used for tree trimming beeped every time the arm was raised or lowered, and they moved it a LOT. It was like sonic torture. To make matters worse, it went on all day, so even if you tried to take a nap, that was impossible too.

The second morning, after I complained about the noise, they assured me that it wouldn't happen again. That day it started about 8:30 and went on all day as usual. We tried the hotel coffee shop for a bleary-eyed brunch, and were treated to lack-luster service, mediocre food, and what was undoubtedly the worst cup of coffee either of us had ever encountered.

This is an old hotel, a former Comfort Inn or something like that, and its' age is showing. The sinks drain poorly, the doors are ill-fitting, the windows don't seal well and let in outside noise as if they are open. So between old-style heavy wooden doors banging until after 1:30 AM and contractors starting up by 7:45 AM (and in one case even earlier!), we were so sleep deprived when we left there that we vowed to never return. Be warned, even if they finish this hotel it'll still be wanting in many areas, and there are much better choices close nearby like the much newer Holiday Inn Express.

For the record, there was no fridge or microwave in our room facing the city, so this must be a new downward change.

Room Tip: Water side rooms might have less noise from the road, but there are out door bars and parties right...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
-BarryGHiggins, General Manager at Bayfront Inn 5th Ave, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

I am not quite sure how to respond to your review. I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise from our construction. We did publish on all of our third party sites as well as our own website that we are currently renovating so that our potential guests would be aware of our current conditions. The times you have reported for construction noise beginning are not accurate, and the rest of your review sounds as though you were just saying everything you could to try to hurt our reputation. I am sorry you were so unhappy but its sad how you chose to express it. I wish you had spoken to me or another manager while you were here we would have done just about anything to make you happy. In this case I can only say I am sorry to you, and encourage you that when you write a Trip Advisor review to take it very seriously because it is a permanent record that will be read by many. Be fair, be accurate, be honest. Our hope is that the Trip Advisor readers will compare your review with our many other reviews and allow us the grace to prove to them what a great property we truly are. We have never claimed to be perfect but we try very hard, and are so dedicated to making our guests happy. We wish you all the best in your future travels.
Just for the record. We have never included refrigerators or microwaves in our rooms, but they are available free of charge, just for the asking.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

My wife and I just got back up north from eight lovely days at the hotel. The rooms are clean and neat. The ones facing the city have fridges and microwaves. The Hotel is located on 5th ave. a five minute walk to all of the 5th ave restaurants and shops. The bar and food area is right on the bay and overlooks an Italian style condo village with shops and restaurants.
The pool and hot tub are delightful. The room prices are very reasonable for all of the amenities. The staff are very accommodating and very helpful. There is a concierge desk and that person is a delight. This will be our new Fla winter hang out.

Arthur B. Potomac ,MD

Room Tip: The ones on the bay have a great view, the ones facing the city have mini kitchens. The beds are r...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ABBPotomacMd_
-BarryGHiggins, General Manager at Bayfront Inn 5th Ave, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Im glad you found your room clean and neat, well appointed, and our location so convenient. Thank you for your nice comments about our staff, and what a good value you found us to be. We hope that you will return to us in the future.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We reserved a block of rooms and the Penthouse for our daughter's January 2014 wedding. The Sales Director kept me up to date on our guest list and all the welcome bags were distributed when the guests arrived. This doesn't sound difficult but the "other hotel" we reserved a block of rooms at was a disaster which made me appreciate Bayfront all the more. The Bride and Bridesmaids got ready in the Penthouse the day of the wedding. The room is beautiful and the photographer came and got some great photo's with the beautiful bay view. With all the wedding excitement, makeup, hair...etc, we left the room quite messy. My daughter said it was beautiful when she and the groom returned after the wedding reception. The hotel has a very unique quaint Naples feel. All of guests commented on how happy they were with the accommodations. I highly recommend it for group business and will recommend it to all our future out of town guests.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for trusting us with such a special occasion. We are so happy your guests enjoyed their accommodations and your event went off so smoothly! We are so glad that everyone enjoyed the Penthouse, it is a beautiful room with great views of Naples Bay. Thank you for your recommendation to your friends, this is a great complement! We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I stayed at the Bayfront Inn in December, 2013. I had a lovely stay, except for a problem with noise. The hotel was undergoing a refurbishment at the time, and some afternoons there was an issue with noise from the work going on. During my stay the gym and spa were also not available (they were what was being refurbished) - so if a gym is important to you, you might like to find out the present status. I was quite disappointed.
That said, other points are very much in this hotel's favor: the staff were all very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was delicious - loads of fresh fruit, juice, coffee, assorted breads, bagels, biscuits, yogurt, granola. Overall the hotel was clean and pleasant, the terrace overlooking the bay was delightful. My room was of good size, with a view of the bay. I used the hot-tub, which was great.
Another point I liked was the proximity to the shopping/restaurants on 5th Ave - very convenient walk. The beach is about 20 minutes' walk away (straight down 5th).

Room Tip: Ask for a Bay side view to watch small planes landing at Naples Airport and endless waterfowl over t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
-BarryGHiggins, General Manager at Bayfront Inn 5th Ave, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us. Just to be clear to The Trip Advisor readers we are in the process of adding a fitness center and spa to the hotel however these are entirely new features for our hotel and consequently are not and have never been listed among our amenities. We are so sorry for the noise, and that you were disappointed that we did not have a spa or gym. We are very excited about the new features being added to our property during our current renovation which should be completed sometime in early March. I am very happy that you enjoyed your guest room, breakfast, and the beautiful views from our waterside terrace. Im also glad that you got to enjoy Fifth Avenue and our beaches during your stay. I hope you will return and stay with us again.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Good position close to Fifth Avenue (main restaurants area)Five minutes walk.
Beaches about 20 minutes along Fifth aveue

Busy road if room onto front of building. Ask for upgraded room (not that expensive). You get lovely views over Bay and upgraded bed (sleep numbers ). Partial Spa shower.

Hotel looks a bit dated but very Floridian. All pastels and woods etc. bar quite expensive apart from beers but they do have happy hours 4-6.

Big room. Massive bed. Good TV. No major problems. The staff were all very helpful. Very clean.

Free car parking. Free wifi in public places and in some bedrooms (pot luck. We did get in our room on Bay side.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

So glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Because we are located in downtown Naples we do have a busy road in front of the hotel. As you mentioned the back of our building faces Naples Bay and is very picturesque and relaxing. Our style is Caribbean Chic which is a very popular but may not be for every taste. We are sorry you felt that this was a "dated look". We do have complementary WIFI through out the entire hotel common areas, as well as in all our guest rooms. Im not sure what "pot luck" means. Did you have another guest room that did not have WIFI? Please let me know at general manager@bayfrontinnnaples.com. Thank you so much for staying with us, your comments are very important. We hope you will return in the future.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

The hotel is very convenient to downtown area. It is well maintained with comfortable clean rooms. The staff is accommodating. My suggestion would be to stay toward the back of the hotel due to traffic noise. Good value for the money. I have stayed here before and would do so in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for being a repeat guest. We appreciate your nice comments about our guest rooms and staff. Being so close to the downtown area does come with downtown traffic but as you mentioned we do have a backside of our hotel which faces our marina and beautiful Naples Bay. We will look forward to your return.