“Fantastic resturant”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Stockholm
“Fantastic resturant”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We didn't stay at this hotel, but we met family there for dinner. Enjoyed an excellent meal outside - good food, very nice wine, and absolutely flawless service, despite it being very busy. I was very jealous of one group having dinner actually on the beach - looked very romantic! There weren't any vegetarian meals on the menu however there was no fuss and the chef was very accommodating and just created something!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Chris G, Manager at LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Thank you for choosing our Baleen restaurant for your recent family dinner. Time spent with family, whether on vacation or dining, is always important. It’s a pleasure to read that our culinary team helped contribute to an enjoyable evening – including the chef putting together a custom entrée for your vegetarian needs. Everything on our menu is cooked to order with fresh ingredients, which often allows for some flexibility to take care of any special requests.

Thank you again for your support and patronage. Perhaps you’ll want to try that private beach dinner for your next special occasion!

Kind Regards,

Chris Grossman
Rooms Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (648)
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I just returned from 4 nights at La Playa and enjoyed my stay there. I will try and be objective and point out the pros and cons in my review.

The Pros, THE STAFF !!. They could not be nicer or more helpful except for one wise guy at the check in which I will get to later.Starting with the valets for your car to the housekeeping staff to the waitresses at breakfast , specifically Erica who seemed to have a smile attached to here face. When we got to our room the TV could not be turned on. By the time I hung up the phone there was someone there to fix it. When I asked where to get ice and was told it was on the second floor , when I got there a housekeeper was waiting to make sure I found it.

Next was the beach which was fantastic. Clean white sand that was never dirty. They must clean it a few times a day. The beach assistants were terrific in setting up your chairs and umbrellas. You could order lunch on the beach if you so desired.

The buffet breakfast which was included in our room rate was all you could ask for , although I would suggest having cheese set out at the buffet.

We had dinner at Baleen which was excellent, pricey but very good. Lunch at the Tiki Bar was fine, not gourmet but satisfying although my wife's wrap was too mayonaisey.

We do not like high rise units at resorts but always insist on ocean front rooms. La Playa has a high rise unit and three smaller beach units. We asked for a fourth floor room in one of them and we got it. It was on the top floor with spectacular ocean views. You could sit on your terrace and watch a gorgeous sunset each night. The terrace was equipped with a lounge chair, 2 up right chairs and a table. The coconut-mango bathroom amenities were really nice to use and the storage space of 6 drawers was adequate. The safe in the room took up a good deal of shelf space in the closet. I would recommend that you ask for the middle beach front unit, the 4 story one and the top floor. I would stay away from the last 3 story unit as your ocean views are somewhat blocked by vegetation.

IU played golf one day and the course was excellent and the practice facility terrific

The hotel is pricey,. Our room costs $900 a night including taxes, parking and breakfast.

Now for some of the Cons. Charging a $25 resort fee on top of $900 a night is just ludicrous and just taking advantage. The wise guy at the front desk, who I mentioned before when I asked what is was for , his response was, " The Ritz Carlton Charges More ". I found him to be obnoxious and only blimp in the otherwise superb staff. If you are paying such a high rate don't you think that chairs and towels on the beach and pool should be included ? I certainly dio as did other guests when I discussed it with them.

While a mini bar in the room was nice , there was no price for anything.

The resort has 4 pools , all relatively small. Three of them cannot be used if you want to swim laps and the other one, which is not so great either is the one that attracts the kids. So, if you want a resort where you can swim laps for exercise, then La Playa is not for you.

While the terrace is lovely, there are no screen doors on them, so you really cannot sleep with your door open fully to hear the surf and avoid the A/C . So if you want to have a room where you can sleep with your door to the ocean fully open, La Playa is not for you.

My makeup bag was diverted to New Orleans and I needed a few items to hold me over. I bought 2 toothbrushes, a travel size toot paste, a travel size mouth wash and a sun tan spray. The bill came to $41. The next day I had to go to a local drug chain and happen to price the same items, it came to $16...I understand that you have to make a profit, but I found that that was taking advantage.

We travel extensively to the Caribbean in what we consider 5 star resorts. Here is a few suggestions to management up grade La Playa to that level. Buy cushions for the both the beach chairs and pool chairs. I know that that the ones on the beach have somewhat built in ones , but they are just adequate. While you are at it, buy cushions for the lounge chairs on the terraces.

Have free water available to guests at the beach and pool. This would be class.

Get rid of your silly resort fee. Raise the room rate $25 if you must, but charging a $25 resort fee is just insulting.

If you read the responses from the management after a review they are virtually all canned responses with never directly addressing what you say. I would appreciate a response differently than your normal canned one. Thank you

Room Tip: See my review
1 Thank Hwayne310
Jason M, Manager at LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for your detailed critique of LaPlaya. We appreciate that you took the time to rate your experience, and your review holds great merit with us in that you not only point out some areas for improvement, but also take the time to provide feedback where your experience exceeded expectations.

Very pleased your first overall comment and feel of your stay was the excellent staff, I have shared your review with our team this morning. We are often praised for the personalized service and attention to detail that our staff brings to the table on a daily basis. It's so important to us. As a independent boutique hotel, we depend on our reputation for continued success. While I apologize that your TV was not working upon arrival, it's good to see that prompt attention was taken in this matter. In addition, your interaction with the Front Desk agent upon arrival is noted, and unacceptable. I apologize for this communication, and this certainly should have been worded properly. I will follow up with the Front Desk team.

I understand your frustration with the Resort Fee, and empathize with the fact you felt it was a unnecessary fee. Luxury resorts such as LaPlaya that offer numerous amenities have considerable overhead, and fees structured above the room rate are developed to support those overheads. Some hotels in our competitive set have decided to break out these fees individually and charge guests throughout their stay ($25 per umbrella and chair per day, $15 for internet, etc). We have decided to put all of these extra amenities offered into one fee out of convenience to our guests, and to allow us to continue to offer these amenities. I appreciate your feedback on the necessity of these fees. We do conduct studies throughout the year on fee structure of our closest competitors, and actually feel that our resort fee, considering it includes items such as Internet, beach chairs and umbrella's, newspapers, and in room coffee to name a few holds the great value.

There should have been a price menu for the mini, above the fridge with the dry goods. I apologize that was not the case in your room.

We have just purchased our new padded Beach Chairs, and we are glad to see you enjoyed them. We have received overwhelming praise of their comfort, and while our pool chairs are fairly new, I am considering upgrading our pool chairs to the padded sling as well.

I hope that our response to your review addresses some of your concerns, and truly thank you for rating your experience. While your review doesn't express a perfect stay as clearly aspects of your stay should have gone better, we can only improve with your feedback. I get a sense that overall you enjoyed LaPlaya, and we hope you will consider us again in the future.

I would be happy to discuss this, or any other items pertaining to your visit if my response does not suffice. We take great pride in not only monitoring our feedback on the internet, but respond as well. Many hotels actually pay a off-site marketing agency to manage their online reviews, we do not. As the Operations Director on property, I prefer to contact our guests directly.

Thank you for your visit, and objective review!

239-598-5114
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We just returned from a 5 night stay at LaPlaya. This was our 4th visit we love the location because it's right on the white, sandy beach. We were on the 12th floor of the tower and left our door open at night to listen to the waves. The service is fantastic as well as the quality of food at Baleen's.The restaurant has one of the best atmosphere's in Naples. I also had a massage at the Spa which is small, but very intimate and cozy.
I would recommend this property for relaxing, great food and service and beautiful, romantic setting.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your 4th visit to LaPlaya! Repeat guests are so important to us, and we are so happy you choose us again!

Your review touches on so many of the small but important details we strive for, great service, clean hotel, and world class food!

Looking forward to your 5th visit!

Regards,

Woodhaven
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I won this trip on the Live Kelly & Michael show and it certainly did not disappoint us. We were given a room on the 10th floor in the tower which was very large. Our breakfast, lunches & dinner at Baleen were fantastic and the service was great. We were pampered at the spa with a massage medley and facial. The valet service was very prompt but got to be annoying when we were leaving several times a day since we had never been to the area. Had I been paying for the room I would have requested another one as the bathroom was in need of a major overhaul.

Room Tip: Our room was in the tower on the 10th floor the bathroom could use updating. The lighting was very...
1 Thank Lorelei P
Jason M, Manager at LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for rating your LaPlaya experience on Trip Advisor! We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us.

Our higher floor premium beachfront room in the Gulf Tower are very popular, with their unobstructed panoramic views of the Gulf of Mexico! Thank you for commenting on your experience at Baleen Naples, I have shared your review with our team as well. Your comment regarding your guestroom bathroom was noted, and I will review with our housekeeping and engineering teams.

We hope you will stay at LaPlaya again,

Vienna
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We are currently staying at Laplaya, i think for the 6th. time or so. Whenever we come to Naples, this is the only place to be. After staying at some other hotels in the area we found this gem and since then, there is no other choice.
We are quite picky when it comes to hotels, but here, there is not one single issue to complain about.

Location:
Right on Vanderbilt Beach, about 15 minutes drive to Downtown Naples, so if you dont mind that, location cannot be better, silent and save.

Staff:
For us, LaPlaya staff is their biggest asset. From faboulous Chris Grossman, arranging our favourite room in the Bay Tower, over valet and reception to the pool staff. Everybody is perfectly friendly. Everybody greeting (we experienced that differently some days ago in Miami Beach).

Rooms:
We love the old Florida charm. Please LaPlaya Team, never change this. We love the Ba Tower rooms most, completely silent with Bay views.

Grounds:
Just perfect setting, four pools, lovely cabanas, beautiful beach area.

Food:
We think Baleen restaurant is the best in the area, lovely atmosphere with lots of fires and silent misic. Great food, whatever we ordered, it was all perfect.

Overall, since many year this hotel is our favourite vavation spot and whenever we can, we fly over from Europe. Not one single topic i would ask to change. Just the best place for a relaxing vacation.

• Stayed March 2014
Chris G, Manager at LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review of LaPlaya! Just as you've enjoyed visiting each year, we really appreciate the continued opportunity to provide you and your family with the vacation experience you've come to expect. Whether it involves our location, staff, guestrooms, or food and beverage product, our entire team really enjoys working together to provide repeat customers like you with a memorable visit year after year.

While we value all feedback that we receive from our guests, the comments we receive from our repeat guests often serve a dual purpose. Not only do we get to see how we did with your recent visit, but we are also able to gauge the consistency in our product and service over time. Given that this was your sixth visit, it's a pleasure to read that we continue to be your destination of choice here in Naples.

Thank you again for your visit and support, and for your glowing recommendation. We'll look forward to seeing you again next year, if not before. Feel free to also reach out to me so that I can once again arrange for your favorite room!

Kind Regards,

Chris Grossman
Rooms Manager
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My wife and I just returned from a 4 night stay. Highs: powdery white sand beach, perfect weather, attentive and courteous beach chair/umbrella attendants. Lows: Front desk staff, limited breakfast options, street noise.

We chose a high floor tower room for best views rather than a beach house room after reading all the reviews and room tips on tripadvisor. I'm really surprised that no reviewers (as far as I could find) mentioned that while beach house rooms are accessed from an interior hallway like most hotels, tower rooms are accessed from an exterior passageway, motel style. There was no weather stripping on the door, so we were greeted every morning with sunlight streaming through the edges of the door and garbage trucks that sounded like they were right outside the door. We were on the 11th floor. We like being high up, but being on the exterior is a pretty “low-rent” feature to me.

Our first morning was a Sunday morning. We came down hoping to grab a quick bite for breakfast before heading to the beach. The Baleen restaurant is the only breakfast option in the hotel (no casual dining option or coffee shop, etc.), and it's apparently very popular. There was a line down the hall to check in at the hostess stand. I asked the front desk if there were any other options for breakfast, and he said they're just backed up getting people seated, it should be quick. We stood in line, and then were told a 10 minute wait to sit. 20 minutes later, we left with a couple of croissants to go and headed back to the room. I told the front desk they were wrong about it being quick, and that I thought it was ridiculous that there were no options for hotel guests to get breakfast other than waiting 20+ minutes behind non hotel guests for a table at a fancy restaurant. His response was, "Ok." I didn't get his name. I asked if he disagreed, and he said he would pass it on to his manager, and he got my room number. I never heard anything else from anyone about it.

When we checked out, I had a question about my statement, and it took the front desk (I think it was the same guy) 20 minutes to figure out what was going on with the statement and get a new one printed. I wasn't complaining about anything, just a simple correction of numbers and balances. No one ever asked us how our stay was.

As info, you can reserve beach chairs up to 3 days in advance, and most chairs facing the water are reserved. That would have been nice to know before we got there on our first day, but the advance email we got about making reservations for various activities did not list that as an available option.

Overall, beautiful place, great location, good beach service (if you know about making reservations), other than that they are following their own process and if you have a problem the front desk doesn’t much care.

Room Tip: Tower rooms are accessed from an exterior passageway, feels very cheap. I would choose the beach ho...
5 Thank Jason C
Thank you for your detailed critique of LaPlaya, we appreciate the time you took to rate your experience. Reviews are important to us, it allows direct feedback from our valued customers, and also potential guests can here unbiased feedback on others' experiences.

While I would not characterize your review as "exceeding expectations" I happy to see some aspects of your stay were enjoyable. Our Beach team often receives high marks in service, we have a friendly service orientated bunch and I'm glad to see that was the case with your stay, and so many others as well. The comments regarding the Front Desk staff is concerning, and I have reviewed this with the team. Typically, our Front Office staff is rated high in terms of service and accommodating requests. That said, our team has hundreds of interactions a day, and clearly there are times we need to do better and I'm sorry this was the case for your visit.

Your comments regarding the Gulf Tower corridors are noted. I have had my engineering team review the weather stripping on each room on the 11th floor. We have a extensive preventative maintenance program, and prefer to stay proactive on these things rather than here them from a paying customer, and I apologize that wasn't the case here again.

I appreciate that you took the time to rate the positives and negatives of your stay. Clearly, we missed the mark in some areas and can do better.

If you have any other details you would like to share with me directly, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you.

239-598-5114
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This was my first visit to LaPlaya and it did not disappoint! The room accommodations were lovely although a bit weathered/dated but that did not matter at all. It just added to the charm of the place. You can not beat the location! I highly recommend staying in an oceanfront room. The views are gorgeous and the sound of the ocean will lull you to sleep!

We spent most of our 2 days on the beach which was located 3 steps from the hotel door! The beach staff was attentive and courteous, always looking to go the extra mile to meet our needs from chair/umbrella set up to food/bar service. Our weekend was made particularly spectacular by Daniel, our fantastic beach attendant! He went above and beyond to make sure we always had a cold drink in our hand, a carafe of water to keep us hydrated, and a fresh bucket of ice to keep the drinks chilled. We never had to raise our flag for service because he just seemed to know what we needed and when.

We will definitely be back again….next year for a longer visit!

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms in the "Beach House" are quieter than in the main tower and directly over...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Jason M, Manager at LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for choosing LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort! We are so pleased to see that you enjoyed your first visit to our Resort. We understand our guests have many options when selecting beach resorts in Florida, and LaPlaya stands out as being the only true luxury beachfront Resort in Naples!

Based on your review, you enjoyed LaPlaya in the fashion it's meant to be enjoyed, relaxing on the beach! Our guests and members often give us positive feedback on the service delivery of our beach teams, and we share our reviews with them. Guests such as you who provide us feedback on places such as Trip Advisor are very important to our continued success. We can monitor what we do well, where we can improve, our this evaluation of our product is on a platform for all to see!

Thank you for your review, and we hope you will choose LaPlaya again in the future.