“Old Hotel, intrusive creepy staff”

LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort, A Noble House Resort
Ranked #13 of 59 Hotels in Naples
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sag Harbor, New York
“Old Hotel, intrusive creepy staff”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This hotel has some visible wear & tear on it & the layout is kinda funky with amenities scattered around in weird places. My husband & I found the ac in our room not to cool as much as was needed because it was super hot even at night. We had an issue with not knowing until we got to the fitness center that you didn't need a key card to enter so I took the card with me for nothing. My husband needing to use the business center went all the way across the street to the parking garage area where he went all the way up to the 2nd floor to find you needed to pay to use the computers in the business center. Broke out the laptop to find out the "complimentary wi fi" was slow & sluggish. Not to mention a guy walked in the mens bathroom & started asking questions about his stay. No hotel staff id, & he followed my husband to the fitness center where I was. We travel a lot so we were always instructed by hotel staff that if we were being approached by hotel security &/or staff to be aware that all workers have a name tag of the resort present on the front of their shirt. What happens if it rains & you need to use the business center as there is no canopy cover from the main hotel to the business center? The insult was paying a resort fee which was not even good enough to be allowed to use a business center computer. The last resort I stayed in Clearwater did not have this problem. Almost as expensive as a Key West hotel & just as overrated.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a gulfside view not a roadside view.
Green Features: Some bathrooms have washcloths which are more eco-friendly than paper towels
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank kari h
Chris_Grossman, Manager at LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thank you for choosing LaPlaya for your recent visit to Naples. While I do hope that you found some enjoyment during your time with us, I do want to offer my apologies for those items that took away from your experience. An average experience is definitely not what we want to be known for, and certainly not what our guests expect or deserve. I am currently working to identify your reservation so that I can have our team follow up on your concern with the air-conditioning performance, as well as test the wireless points near your guestroom. We normally get comments on the high quality of our wifi, so we want to make sure it is operating as expected.

As a boutique resort, we do have a layout that does require you to walk outside to enjoy some amenities. Understandably, as rain is always possible, we do station umbrellas at many of our exits that our guests can use whenever they desire. While an area like the business center does require key access, we do not require it at our fitness center since the facility and all the fitness classes are covered by your resort fee. Our resort fee does not currently cover the business center, but is certainly something that we can consider as a possible future benefit.

All our uniformed associates do wear name tags, as is our policy for both safety and for the benefit of our guests. While I know that many of our associates are eager to engage with our guests and inquire about their stay, there is certainly the right time and place. I will share your comments with our team, as leaving someone uncomfortable is certainly not our intention or desire.

Thank you again for choosing LaPlaya and for sharing your experience. We do hope to have the opportunity to provide you with a more enjoyable visit the next time you travel to Naples.

cgrossman@laplayaresort.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (673)
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Our room wasn't quite ready so they upgraded us to an ocean view suite!! The view was amazing not to mention the bose stereo for my ipod hook up. We even enjoyed their restaurant The Baleen. Key lime bread pudding to die for!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review of LaPlaya! We're glad you enjoyed your beachfront suite, including the Bose Soundock system and, of course, those amazing views. It's nice to read that you had the opportunity to visit Baleen as well. I think I'll have to go and try that key lime bread pudding!

We hope to see you again the next time you visit Naples.

Staffordshire
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I am staying at la playa in Naples Florida .

We booked a ocean view room
The view was fantastic but the lifts are very old and dirty also from the lift to the room is open and they are not very clean and all the extraction from the kitchen blow the smell of food it's not good !!!!!

Also getting breakfast is a big job
It takes forever to be served and even longer to get your food .

Finally not a lot to do near the hotel
You will need a car .

Also all the food and drink that you have around the pool is not cheap and then the hotel add 20% service charge to all your bills .

This is robbery !!!!!!!! .

Stayed August 2014
6 Thank Darren Y
Thank you for choosing La Playa for you current vacation to the Gulf Coast. Unfortunately, we are sorry to read that, up to this point, your stay has not met your expectations. Presentation, service, and value are important to us, as we know that our guests expect and deserve a quality experience. I met this morning with our Baleen and Housekeeping managers regarding your concerns with breakfast wait-time and the cleanliness of the open corridors, as it’s clear from your comments that we need to do better there. We do want you to know that your comments are important to us, as we know that we need to consistently work to provide each and every guest with an enjoyable experience.

While we appreciate your feedback on Trip Advisor, we certainly would like the opportunity to hopefully correct some of the challenges you are experiencing. While we have attempted to match your information with our current guests staying with us, we have so far been unsuccessful. I ask that you feel free to contact me directly, or simply stop by our Front Desk and speak with a member of our management team. We don’t want any guests to be unsatisfied with their room location or service, and we hope to have the opportunity to improve upon the experience you have had thus far.

New York
Reviewed 31 July 2014

It was my first time to Naples- gorgeous location without having to leave the States.
I like the rooms and pool facilities, but the service has particularly left me wanting more... The person at check-in was not the friendliest- almost rude. And many minor inconveniences have started to add up... The phone in my room was not charged and does not retain battery, the safe didn't work.. It was difficult to get change to tip all the pool and beach staff bc the front desk person told me he had no change, go to the boutique, and the person at the boutique was frustrated and told me I should ask the front desk... I only had a beach chair on the front row once bc everyone reserves the chairs and then no one is there all day- just empty chairs. Some items at the hotel restaurant are good, but some very so-so...yesterday the service at the beach was great, but the day before I raised my flag and waited 30 minutes and no one came... I leave tomorrow and all in all it was a good stay, but definitely not one of the best hotels in service that I've been to. Maybe I was just unlucky, but given all the perfect reviews, I thought I should share from my perspective.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank VacationGirl1022
Chris G, Manager at LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort, A Noble House Resort, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for choosing LaPlaya for your current visit to Naples! While you noted that your overall stay was enjoyable, it’s clear that our team should have done better with those service items that you detailed in your review. We do believe that service makes the difference – including a warm welcome at the front desk, easy access to change, and prompt service on the beach. It’s up to us to provide friendly, attentive service each and every time, and I am sorry that we fell short with those items during your visit this week.

Even if we do everything perfect the previous 10 times, we need to perform the same on the 11th try. Consistency is important to our team, as we want our guests to book LaPlaya knowing that they will receive the same quality experience that other guests have enjoyed. This is an idea that our entire team believes, and is something that we will continue to discuss as we review your comments with our associates.

While it’s disappointing to read feedback like yours, it’s very important to us as it really allows us to drill down and improve upon the factors that led to those shortcomings. Our service should never be based on “luck,” and we hope to have the opportunity to prove this to you on a future return visit.

If I may be of any assistance, or if you would like to share additional comments regarding your stay, please feel free to contact me directly.

Room Manager
239.597.3123 Ext. 5916
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My family and I have just spent 4 nights at La Playa. We were fortunate to have a suite in the bay tower overlooking the ocean. The views took our breath away when we opened the door! The sunsets are breathtaking. The hotel staff are very attentive and you couldn't have a better location on a beautiful white sandy beach . The beach staff were always extremely helpful and kept us supplied with cold drinks. We would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
A four night stay is a good length of time to truly relax and rejuvenate with your family! It’s great to read that our beachfront resort proved to be the perfect choice for this goal, and we appreciate your kind comments regarding our attentive staff. Thank you for also noting the comfort and view from your guestroom in our Bay Tower. They are often a favorite with families, and we’re glad you enjoyed it!

Your recommendation is most appreciated. After all, we believe that it is the greatest gift any guest can offer us. We hope to welcome you back so that we may once again provide you with an exceptional experience.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I enjoyed our stay here.. Our room was beautiful and the service was great! We were in the Bay tower across the street.. Facing the bay.. I would rec. for family and older couples.. Not a hotel for young couples with no children. Great for families and older couples. You will need a car to get anywhere.. Great fitness facilities. Overall pleasant relaxing! stay.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your positive review of LaPlaya! We’re glad you enjoyed your visit, and thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers. As we are in a mostly residential area, your suggestion of having a car is a good one for those guests looking to explore the Naples area.

We’re glad that our resort helped provide the relaxation you were looking for, and hope to have the opportunity to host you again someday soon.

Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My husband and I were looking for a weekend getaway and had a great, great time at LaPlaya. The staff, service, food, and accommodations were excellent. We felt like we had our own private hideaway with a view and balcony on the water in our Beach House suite. Yet we could also explore Old Naples and took our first backwater fishing trip.

Chris, the Housekeeping Manager, came to our rescue when I realized I had left some items in the room when we checked out. I called him when we got home and he made sure the items were found and returned to us within a day.

Family friendly and people friendly:)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing LaPlaya for your weekend getaway! It’s a pleasure to read that you really enjoyed your visit, and that you found our location, service, and food & beverage to be top notch. The Beach House building is always a great choice for those looking to be right up on the beach – hard to get any closer to the water without getting wet!

Your service experience is important to us – and that includes after your visit. Our housekeeping and lost and found team will certainly appreciate your kind comments!
We hope to see you again on a future trip to Naples.