“Teddy Bear Tea with Santa at Ritz Naples”

The Ritz-Carlton, Naples
Ranked #9 of 59 Hotels in Naples
Cleveland, Ohio
“Teddy Bear Tea with Santa at Ritz Naples”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I've grown fond of the traditional Holiday Tea at the Ritz Cleveland, in my hometown, but our scheduling would have it that we'd be in Florida during that time frame in 2013. So, we decided to take my 14-mo. toddler to the teddy bear tea at the Ritz Naples. This tea service is a little different from the traditional service because it is dedicated to children, and my review comments on what I like and didn't like based on the traditional service. Large teddy bears are placed near the lobby/parlor, where a photographer takes a picture of the guests upon arrival. We were then seated in the lobby/parlor at tables decorated with white linens and chiavari chairs that were brought in for the occasion. Upon seating, we were offered two teas (Ritz blend, which is my favorite) and a decaffeinated vanilla. I was a bit disappointed since I read a recent review commenting on the rose lychee black tea. In Cleveland, I've always been offered selection between 5 flavors. However, the Ritz blend is the tastiest ever, so I wasn't too crushed. Continuing, we were served tea sandwiches and our dessert pastries. My second critique is on the sandwiches. They weren't served as lovely cut-outs or as open-faced artwork like my traditional experience. The presentation of the sandwiches was lacking appeal. The pastries tasted amazing and were spot-on (tastiest scones I've ever had), but the tiered dessert trays seemed a bit outdated and can be replaced perhaps with something more modern. My next critique is based on the teddy bear. Despite our party of six adults at $66/person, the Ritz still charged us $15 for a teddy bear since my daughter was not a paying guest (she is too young for hot chocolate and treats). I just thought that felt a bit stingy, but $15 isn't a huge markup on a teddy. My greatest critique is based on the Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus, who visited with each child. Up North in Ohio, almost all Santa Clauses look truly authentic. Generally, they are older men with real white beards. This Santa was so ridiculous looking, with his costume beard, that I was a bit disappointed for the purpose of the picture. And, while my daughter did fuss a bit (being at that age) during the picture, Mrs. Claus looked completely ticked in all our photos. She forgot to smile, so the picture was a wash anyway. But, my biggest grievance overall was the insistence on Santa and the servers to carry on with this "Happy Holidays" theme. Each time we wished any of them a "Merry Christmas", they would respond with the ridiculously PC "Happy Holidays". It sounds so forced from a Santa. Regardless of the person dressed as Santa's belief, he elected to play a character. At first, I thought it was the Ritz policy, but all the servers at the Grill, where we dined later in the evening, were responsive to Merry Christmas greetings. The entire event was a bit hectic, as one would expect with children. That is no fault to the Ritz. We all enjoyed the event, but I think my hometown Ritz may perfect it just a tad bit more.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank mbseuf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

This is truly a wonderful resort with amazing accommodations and amenities. The staff is very down to earth and friendly! The restaurants are truly excellent! There is a wonderful lady there by the name of Laura Crawford who always makes guests feel welcomed! She, I think, is in charge of food and beverages. I have been there twice now for the annual Teddy Bear Tea for my children to see Santa and I can honestly say that it is an excellent experience! The resort is beautifully decorated. The food is always wonderful and the service top notch! Keep up the good work!

• Stayed December 2013
London
Reviewed 19 December 2013

What can I say other than amazing! This is a beautiful resort. The rooms are very well appointed and spacious. It's fair to say that every small detail has been thought about. The staff are all very helpful and friendly. I visited on a business trip and would highly recommend the hotel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed on Marriott points Saturday til Tuesday, 12/14-16, 2013. Room was small and we were upgraded due to being a platinum member. Very clean and nicely decorated w a balcony and 2 chairs that overlooked the central courtyard and beach/gulf. Room had a little fridge, couldn't fit bottled beer in it but had room for waters. We used the gym all 3 mornings. It is top notch and has all equipment needed. Staff very helpful and towels, water and even cold towels are provided. Plenty of tvs and ear buds too. We ate at Terrazzo, Italian restaurant and it was excellent! Split a Caesar salads and had bolognese and lamb ragout for entrees. Everything was good and would definitely recommend this restaurant. Had coffee and cafe mocha in the mornings at the gourmet shop and it was as good as Starbuck's. We had sushi and wine and beer in the Dusk Bar and it was really good if not a little expensive ($60 for 1 wine, 3 beers and one large roll). Gumbo Limbo food was very good, w good service, great food and a great venue by the water. Two pools, one for families and one for adults only. Did not use the spa but they have plenty of offerings.

Stayed December 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

we stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Beach Resort in November 2013 with our little daughter. We got the recommendation from Worldtop7 travel portal and have to say it was a great decision. The hotel is completely new renovated, features two pool one adults and one family pool. All is clean and very well maintained.

The beach is one of the best beaches in Naples and directly connected to the hotel. What we loved
no resort fee, 24 hour gym, the connected rooms if traveling as a larger family, this is a great luxury resort for families offering nature activities for kids of various ages; the VUE high-tech entertainment centre is great for kids, teens, and even adults

One night we had dinner at the newly opened Dusk restaurant offering best sushi in Naples, but there are no kids allowed from 8pm.

Must do; have a sunset drink at the Gumbo Limbo restaurant with some of their great cocktails and enjoy a their spa ( though is is a bit expensive)

Only cons: only valet parking available, no self parking, there is fee for internet and bathrooms are on the small side.

Room Tip: ALL rooms have sea views (partial sea view for some); if booking for a group or large families then...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Florida
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Luxury hotel, luxury service, luxury property. This property lives up to all the Ritz Carlton standards. Upon arrival, the valet asked us how our travels were, and I mentioned we had some travel difficulties... the next day, a bottle of wine was in our room with a note from the manager stating, "hope your stay here is better than your travels." I mention this, because it takes great service and training, for an off the cuff comment to a valet, to make its way to a hotel manager. Impressive to me. My family and I stayed here right before the hotel started the recent remodel and renovations. Gulf front room was great, beach was great, pools were great with kids, and food and restaurants were excellent all around. We did not even leave the property for anything. Everything is pricey, but it is the Ritz Carlton, so that is to be expected. We look forward to returning and will do so.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Wow. I now understand why this hotel wins so many awards. The staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are comfortable. The food is excellent and plentiful. And the weather...well, it was Florida in December and the only part of the country experiencing temps in the 80s. Aaaah. Our arrival was delayed by one day due to flight issues. But the front desk made sure our room was ready when we arrived in the morning. We stayed on the Club level and felt the staff there really took the time to understand your needs and make any request happen. The beach front is full of white sand and lots of room to relax and hear the waves. Dusk restaurant/bar had the friendliest bartenders I've ever met! What a great crew! I'm afraid to travel anywhere else because I think my experience here has ruined it for other hotels. ;) Thanks Ritz-Carlton for exceeding my expectations.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends