“Falling from grace....a disgrace”

The Ritz-Carlton, Naples
Ranked #9 of 59 Hotels in Naples
South Florida
“Falling from grace....a disgrace”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This was the WORST weekend I have ever experienced at this hotel. I could not wait to leave and I have never felt this way about this property. Our room was so dusty that it triggered allergy attacks for us as well as being "upgraded", "improved", "newly" renovated" with what? Furniture? No. Paint? I could not tell. It looked the same from we last stayed which was so much nicer. Our room was located by a service area. I did not realize that area was the central area for carts, room service and a very loud service elevator as well. I was woken up by clunking, shifting, loud voices, rolling carts and other related noises. Great. I finally did awake after giving up on relaxation or sleep and showered. The tub/ shower area was filled with pink and black mold on the tiles as well as the curtain. That was the final straw. I guess housekeeping overlooked that room. I called them and promised they would clean and change the curtain, etc. Why was it not done in the first place? What happened Ritz-Carlton? Too many budget cuts? I was beyond NOT happy. The last thing I want to do is confront management. I am on vacation. I needed to chill and relax. I notified someone that listened. But that night, the very same loud noises from the service area began again. I did not sleep nor did my husband. I was LIVID.
Yes, the ocean is lovely and the private party I attended was, too! However I felt the overall service was non-existing. I wanted to sit on a lounge chair in a certain area on the beach and I had to have a VERY nasty person tell me, I could not.
What happened Ritz-Carlton @ Naples???? This was NOT the weekend I had hoped for. This weekend was a disaster and now I really need to relax.
I am very sad and really did not know why this happened especially at a top hotel property.

Room Tip: Away from the service center areas.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Sterlingtravelgal
TheRitzCarltonNaples, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Naples, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent visit to the Naples resort. It is our goal is to provide genuine and personal service to every guest and I deeply regret that, on this occasion, we did not meet your expectations. The concerns you outlined in your Trip Advisor review are certainly not up to the standards that we expect from our ladies and gentlemen and I will address this with the appropriate areas
I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss this situation with you directly and invite you to please contact the Executive Office if you would like to discuss this matter further.

Jon McGaunn
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

My best friend and I stayed here for a little R&R. Although short, it was just about perfect. This hotel is great, service and hospitality even better! The room we shared was a little smaller than expected but the view from the balcony more than made up for it. Already planning our next stay here.

• Stayed July 2014
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I am taking the time to write a very lengthy review so if you want some excellent info stay tuned. My husband Jim and I had never been to Naples so we decided a month ago to set our sights on a 10 day vacation there. Making a decision to stay at the Ritz Carlton on the beach was my decision after reading many reviews and also knowing we are Marriott platinum members we thought we would take advantage and use a few of the many points we had. One thing that caught my eye was the nice Summer Package deal they offered. While our first 3 nights would not be a part of this deal the last 7 would. The drive from Fort Myers airport to the hotel was just a short 30 minutes. Easy. Once we arrived the excellent service began. Danielle our bellman greeted us and took our baggage. Katherine was so helpful at the front desk. Reading past reviews I truly wanted to upgrade our room to the highest floor possible for the best view. Katherine found us a room on the 11th floor which was 1125 ocean front. The hotel is shaped in a U shape so some of the rooms don't get the best view of the ocean so if you want the best view pay the upgrade and get it. I promise it is worth it! Every morning we had coffee on the balcony and gin and tonics at 5:00! Perfect. I also would recommend like many others that you not get a room that adjoins with another room. The balcony's are set in and it's much nicer to have a balcony that protrudes out more. A bit more private. After check in we proceeded to make our rounds to check out the hotel and the beach and restaurants. I must say that as for the breakfast in Terrazza we did not eat there any other time. Our package gave us a free breakfast and it was ok. I did not feel it was worth 60.00 for 2 buffets so I was glad we did not have to pay for that. I would recommend other breakfast places like Joes Diner down the street or Blueberry's. We opted to eat at Joe's Diner 2 days as it is amazing. As for the restaurants in the hotel that we found enjoyable. Bytes in the main lobby is a tapas restaurant. I have to say that the Cerveci tacos are to die for as well as the steak tartar. We ate there 3 times and enjoyed a wonderful 3 Jazz combo with Jerry Stawski and his band. They are amazing and just a perfect way to close a last night in such a beautiful place. We ate at Gumbo Limbo the 2nd night. They close at 8:30pm due to the turtles. If you don't know about the turtles, it's the law that no homes or hotels can have their lights shinning after dark as the turtles will become confused when they hatch. The views at sunset from Gumbo Limbo are great as it's right on the beach. The food is pretty good too. I must admit that going out every night around 7:30 to await the beautiful sunsets in front of the hotel was just too wonderful. We had perfect weather every single day we were there so every sunset was amazing. Take a glass of wine or beer to the beach and have one of the guys set you up a chair and take your camera! Speaking of the beach...every morning at 8:00am the wonderful beach crew is setting up and awaiting their customers. Lynne and her wonderful crew of beautiful men from Haiti and other parts are there to set you an umbrella, chairs, towels and lots of love and care for the day. Lynne really made our beach experience a fun time. She has the best personality and always wants to greet you and make you feel special. I loved the cold towels they provide as well as the water and sunscreen right there on the beach. Our package included chairs and umbrellas but the charge for them is $25 a day which we paid those first 3 days. It's worth it. If your like me you love the water and wanna be in it. Go over to Walgreens and buy a $6 float. You will love it I promise. Shelling on the beach is ok. One of the things I found were tiny sand dollars up in the shell line up higher on the beach. Lynne and the fellas had never seen them before. You can take them home because they are dead but any live sand dollars you find in the ocean they must be left alone. Lots of fun water sports there on the beach to rent. Stand up paddle boarding, jet ski, parasail, and boat rentals are right in front for your pleasure. We did not do any of those sports but we did walk down the beach every day to Clam Pass. It's a 2 1/2 mile walk. On your way you will pass 11 mansions that are just amazing! It makes for an amazing view on a pretty walk! Every day we tried to do something that the concierge Rebecca recommended. We took Speedy's Airboat ride down in the Everglades, a great value and a short drive. We also tried the Manatee tour with Captain Barry with See-manatees.com. It was really a nice little tour and a good value as well. My favorite trip of all was 1/2 a day deep sea fishing with The Pure Naples folks down at Tin City. We boarded at 7:30am and caught a ton of fish which we were so excited as everyone caught a ton of fish! We even had them cleaned and had the Restaurant The River Walk right there at the dock cook our fish for lunch! It was truly a wonderful trip and day! As for planning. I would recommend taking any trip or tour in the early morning. With the summer storms in the later afternoon it really worked well for us to take the trips early and if a small storm came in the afternoon our trip was never affected. People don't understand how dangerous the storms can be. Lightening is really bad at times. 3 people were hit when we were there in Fort Myers. 1 died, the other left brain dead and the other minor injuries. When you hear the horn blow at the hotel when lightening strikes please heed the warnings. Many people on trip advisor talk about the drinks being expensive at the pool. While you will pay about $18 for a drink we found our selves enjoying nice drinks in our room with wines and liquors we purchased at the Publix Liquor store down the street and then we would have drinks in the Bytes bar and Restaurant that were less expensive. Every employee that waited on us from the bell staff, to front desk, to pool boys, beach crew, servers at all restaurants, front desk, to hotel housekeeping, everyone was just great. All seemed to take special care to say hello and ask if we needed anything. My husband needed some help and Naomi in the Business Center helped him get a fax sent which was important. I loved the chocolates left for us in the beginning. The orange slices with chocolate left as a departure gift were the only thing I would say did not fit in with the entire experience. They looked very displeasing. We enjoyed the trip so much and the town and exploring we worked with one of the agents in the hotel and went out to look at a few homes. This is no doubt a place we would love to call home. The Ritz Carlton has a wonderful staff and something for everyone. While there can be choices to take out side the hotel for other food and activity the staff is very helpful to provide any information you may need. We will be back and hopefully to stay for a long time! I would tell you that Vanderbilt Beach and the Ritz are just one of the many great things about Naples. Give it a try! You will be so glad you did!

Room Tip: High floors, ocean view, not adjoining another room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank candi A
Clermont, Florida
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My family spent 3 nights here. It was very nice. We enjoyed the pools and the beach. Everyone was very nice. The day we check out they had given us a spa day pass, so we could shower before we headed home. The only bad thing is that the spa is 18 and over. They do not have a place for the kids to shower. Other than that, it was an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I just wrapped a stay at this property and it was amazing. The most important factor for me was the stellar service I received. Every request no matter how large or small was met with a smile and solved almost immediately. I would make sure that people know there are 2 properties, one being the golf resort and the other the beach club. You can move freely between the 2 (via 10 min drive on a free shuttle), but make sure you pick the one you'd like.

The food was great in all of our meetings as well as room service and the spa was fantastic! Lots of great amenities.

Stayed July 2014
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed here for onsite meetings. Wow! Everything was perfect! We had the conferences at the beach house during the day. It was nice. The conference food was great and always seem to be a lot of snacks throughout. We even had a dinner there one night and again beautiful. Another night dinner was set up on the beach, they had chefs cooking and they set up some beach chairs and blankets around a bonfire. The service was impeccable! Food was delicious and plentiful. The rooms are gorgeous. I had a view of the ocean, at night I would sit on my balcony and take it all in amid the sparkle of the torchlights. I also loved the bathroom. It was more than immaculate. The best part of the property is the beach area and the service by the pool. The gym was huge too. Everyone seems to be catered to, I dont know how they do it. You see a smile on every guest face. I even had some side meals at the tiki hut. Delish too! I was also fortunate enough to visit the spa. I have ZERO complaints about this place. Truly 5 star and truly 5 star service. I would love the opportunity to come here again and plan to someday on my own I loved it that much.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank IrenieS
Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Ritz-Carltons generally get it right as they well should at their price point! The Naples version didn't disappoint although there were a few minor issues. First, the positive: beautiful building and grounds, great location on one of the most beautiful beaches in Florida, and very attentive service. The minor problems: the mix of available dining options after 9:30 is weird in my opinion: 1) the formal grill (which despite the fact that it has a relaxed dress code in the summer is still formal feeling and indoors), 2) a sushi restaurant (with a few other selections) and 3) limited selection of tapas in the lobby bar. We opted for the tapas but we were told we "better get our order in" as the kitchen closed at 10. I realize it was the summer but seems like they should have had one of their other options opened later (e.g. Terrazza) and specifically one with outdoor dining. Another odd thing for a Ritz: we were given spa discount coupons from the bellman who brought our luggage upstairs with a pitch about the special $25 off 50 and $50 off 90 deal (he neglected to mention it was $25 off a 50 minute treatment not off $50 and $50 off a 90 minute treatment) and we overheard him the next day giving some other new guests his "special" $25 off 50 pitch. It seemed purposely deceptive to me. Also given that his name was written on each coupon, one can only surmise he gets an incentive for each customer he entices. I thought this was tacky for a Ritz Carlton.

Having said that we received very good service at the beach and pool and would highly recommend Gumbo Limbo -- the beachside restaurant. The food was great and our server, John, was outstanding!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple