“Try it You'll Like it!”

New Sung Hee
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Sung Hee restaurant, in New Port Richey, has been around about 30 years. Same owner but has had two management teams --- all relatives. The food is excellent, prepared while you wait, to order. Nicely sized portions, presented nicely. The restaurant has been slow and not very crowded, but I believe that it just needs more exposure. Give Sung Hee a try, you'll be pleasantly surprised on your next trip to New Port Richey.

Reviewed 8 March 2011

I've been looking for good Chinese food in New Port Richey for years. Who would have thought that it's been right around the corner and US 19.

Sung Hee is a traditional US-Chinese restaurant. The large dining room is colorful with gold and red brocade wallpaper, crisp white tablecloths, and Chinese lantern-styled chandeliers.

The hostess greeted us promptly and asked our preference for a table or booth. Our waitress was attentive and friendly and very efficient. But, what I really cared about...

The food was wonderful. The Hot and Sour soup was delicious-just spicy enough with a touch of vinegar to add that tanginess. The Lemon Chicken was crispy, tender, and lemony enough that we didn't have to ask for extra lemons. And General Tso's Chicken was excellent. Large chunks of chicken fried crispy. I ordered it medium, since the waitress wanted a preference, but that proved to be really mild. Next time I'll specify spicy.

I also like that they offer a substitution of fried rice for a small up-charge. Too many places make you order a full entrée of fried rice just because you don't want plain white rice.