“Great Beach!”

Orlando
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great Beach!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I must correct those who state that this is a 'nude beach'. Apollo IS NOT a nude beach, but you will find a clothing optional area south of parking lot #5 (the last parking area). There are plenty of family friendly areas along this six mile stretch so if you do not want to risk seeing folks relaxing in the buff, just use the areas north of parking lot #5. Wonderful beach & the Park Rangers do a fine job!

Visited June 2014
9 Thank Littletommy2

Fort Collins, Colorado
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“The Best!”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This beach lived up to the hype! Clean sand, clear blue water, massive amount of wild life! This place is excellent. We saw turtles, a fox, even deer! Not on the beach but getting there. It was a great drive.

Visited August 2013
5 Thank WildBill G
Jasper, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Best Beach in FL”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I visited on June 24th and 25th 2014, arriving almost as soon as they opened the gates at 6am on the 24th, and around 10am on the 25th. There is a $5 fee per car/motorcycle, and a $3 per person fee if you walk in, bike in, rollerskate through the gate.

On the first day, I was seriously assaulted by mosquitoes as I unpacked my stuff from the car...and I don't mean just a few! There were literally hundreds of mosquitoes coating every exposed inch of skin. Luckily I had some Deep Woods Off! wipes, and that seemed to do the trick.

I highly recommend either some bug spray, or some sunscreen with bug spray in it (Bullfrog makes some). Once on the beach, the mosquitoes left, but then the biting flies (Yellow Flies I think) started eating me, and they HURT! After putting on some sunscreen, they still would get me every so often...like one bite every hour or so. Not enough to make me miserable, but enough that I wished I had something to kill them off! That's the end of the bug report.

As for the beach itself, I loved it. There were hardly any people there, and if I wanted to be completely alone all I needed to do was trudge through the sand further North. I'm lazy, so I setup maybe 75 yards in, and still only had maybe 3 small groups within 100 feet of me.

This beach is natural, meaning there are shells galore, crabs, even occasional turtles...and the beach is not leveled daily like at the public ones. There are these little depressions where the waves come in that you can setup in, and they make these natural blinds that people cant hardly see you until they pass directly in front of you.

Bring a few grocery bags for trash, as there are no trash cans on the beach itself. There are a couple large ones at the beach entry ramp at every parking area so you can toss them as you leave.

When I left, I made the mistake of not wearing my beach shoes (because it was easier to walk without them), and then compounded the mistake by not stopping to put them on before walking up the ramp to leave. The boardwalk ramp is very very VERY hot, and the cement is even hotter! I highly recommend using shoes, or flip-flops as soon as you hit the ramp! I have a couple blisters that will mark me as an idiot for at least the next couple days :(

If you keep in mind that this is a natural beach, with all that entails, you'll love it! If you are looking for lifeguards, chair rentals, people to gawk at, white sands and hotels...then this isn't going to be your thing. If it isn't, the good part is that New Smyrna Beach is accessible just outside of the National Seashore entrance. You can check Apollo out and if you hate it, you're vacation isn't ruined!

Visited June 2014
7 Thank awschroader
Daytona Beach, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Excellent Beach”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is a nude beach and I want wholeheartedly thank the park service for making this beach possible. Relaxing on a beach in the nude is something everyone should try at least once in their life. If this is not for you, the east coast has miles of non-nude beaches with much nicer amenities than Apollo to choose from. Here is a very simple rule of thumb to follow, if you go to an unfamiliar beach, and the first thing you see is a nude person, and this bothers you, get back in your vehicle and drive to another part of the beach. Thanks so much...

Visited May 2014
14 Thank Dan J
Jacksonville, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Excellent Nude Beach”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I had visited Apollo Beach late one afternoon about a year ago and was eaten up by bugs. I decided to give it another try. After my last experience, I made sure to go in the early afternoon on a nice Sunny day and checked the tide to make sure it was not high tide.

My experience this time was very different. First, I did in fact experience the full parking lot that others talk about at lot #5. I was lucky in that somebody was leaving as I was arriving so I didn't have to fight it, but the lot was 100% full.

The only people I saw clothed once I was on the beach were people who were walking to or from their destination. Most people where there either as a couple or with a small group of people. Almost every group had an umbrella, chairs, and cooler and probably had been there most of the day. Each group was about 20 yards or so apart, so no one was getting in each other's space. My only complaint was how far I felt like I needed to walk to set up without the likelihood of someone feeling like I was crowding them. There were young (20s) to older people there and I never felt like anyone was gawking or even paying any attention to anyone else. The people were all shapes, sizes, and ages so the theory that nude beaches are only for old fat men was dismissed with this visit to the beach.

The beach was much wider because the tide was out, so I was not crowded up next to vegetation, which would have caused bugs to be worse. I did not have a bug problem at all this time, but it was in the heat of the day and a nice breeze was blowing. The sand was still not comfortable, but this time I brought a beach chair so it wasn't really a problem. I also did not try to swim and therefore did not get the oyster shells all over me. It does still take a while to get there.

I also was able to locate the outdoor shower this time (I asked the Ranger on the way in where it was). It is located at lot #1. After I left lot #5, I drove up to lot #1 and got out and showered off (not nude) to rinse the sand off of my legs and feet. The shower is not obvious at lot #1 as it is not near the boardwalk -- it is next to the toilets across the parking lot from the boardwalk. When I was not on the nude section of the beach, I wore a thong and never had a problem.

I would definitely recommend you try this beach if you want to nice public and legal nude beach. I would recommend that you go when it is sunny, breezy, and not high tide.

Visited May 2014