“Good food and atmosphere” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gnarly Surf Bar and Grill

Gnarly Surf Bar and Grill
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Phone number on their take-out menu is 386-957-3844.
Daytona Beach, Florida
“Good food and atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Staff was friendly, food was good. Food and drinks were wery well priced. We could also sit outdoors and enjoy the view.

Visited July 2014

Lexington, South Carolina
“These guys are really trying!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Anytime an owner takes the time and makes the effort to offer his response ESPECIALLY when it's personal and not a canned, cut and paste, He's trying. Seems like the old saying is true...

I've been a few times….mid day for an early beer once during the week and on a busy weekend night. Beers are cold enough, with several popular lagers on tap. The food is fairly consistent & well prepared, regardless of how busy they are. Maybe I've gotten soft in my old reviewers age, but I can even make some allowance for the fact that Gnarly's service is dependent on transient beach people and local kids. Sitting outside listening to a copy band may make for some less than attentive service, but they were very busy last night. Sometimes, not the most professional table waiters, but by and large they are trying at least as hard as most of the other local place. The result is a passing grade.

Try the burger! My wife had the scallops. Friends had the feta and olive stuffed chicken roulade. Everybody was happy when we left.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bunnypuffer
s m, Owner at Gnarly Surf Bar and Grill, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you or noticing!!! We do try very hard to please everyone every visit. Sometimes this is a challenge but most of the time people are just great!! I am very happy to hear you like our food and that we are consistent. Our food is very important to us!! Yes sometimes we get so busy it makes it hard to be the perfect server which does make us very unhappy. We will continue to make improvements daily!! I would like to buy you a drink of your choice the next time you are in!!! Just ask for the owner (I am usually in 7 days) and let me know it is you!! Thank you again!!!!
Fussa, Japan
“Unprofessional”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We sat outside to enjoy the evening but we could see into the kitchen. The staff came out with beers and smoked and drank not 15 feet from us. Some would leave the property with beers and them come back. The whole scene was strange. Our server was depressed, or Something. She did not check on us after she gave us the food. The food was okay, nothing special. When we paid she took about 15 minutes to return our change and credit cards. The members of our party were quite frustrated. When the server returned she set the checks in a pile on the table for us to sort out and walked away. I do not know if there was a manager around, but it looked like the classic, "when the cat is gone the nice will play" situation.

1 Thank Jennyrg
s m, Owner at Gnarly Surf Bar and Grill, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
I understand that smoking may be an issue for people however we have outdoor seating and do allow customers to smoke in the outdoor area as well as we have our employees smoke behind the planter wall along the street since the car fumes will over take the smoke especially when the bridge is up! We have a very small place with no side or back area as it is a 0 lot line. We try to be very careful especially when children are around. I am sorry that this made for a bad visit. As for employees drinking yes they are permitted once they are off and they do not leave the property!! Employees must use the door by the kitchen area when exciting as this helps with congestion at our very small front door. We have an employee bathroom in our storage building at the end of the property which perhaps is what you are referring to (leaving the property). We ask our employees on and off the clock to use that facility since we have only 1 bathroom for men and 1 for women and don't want our patrons to wait. As for your server being depressed I would not be qualified in this area to agree or disagree. However I am sorry that she did not check on your table and this will be addressed as well as always smiling and being friendly in order to prevent this assumption. We have made a change to the smoking section so everyone can enjoy their visit. Our new NON Smoking section will be on the west side of the building and smoking section will be on the east by the street "if they can smoke the fumes shouldn't bother them" I hope you will reconsider visiting us again!! Thank you for taking the time to visit and review us as it helps us to grow and correct any issues that arise.
Cocoa Beach, Florida
“Food That Is Greasy and Overdone”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

I ordered just the most american thing...a burger medium and fries. I am sure the fries were cooked in old grease and the burger...well it was way past well done...tough. Too bad it's a nice setting and the inside is decdent...food just not there. Too bad in a great spot.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank flabeachy
s m, Owner at Gnarly Surf Bar and Grill, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
I wish I would have known about this at the time and we would have made you another burger cooked correctly. We can make corrections immediately if we are aware of the issue at the time as this could be the server entering temps incorrectly, taking the wrong burger or the chefs error. By letting us now gives us a chance to please our customer and correct whom ever made the mistake. Finding out a week later does not give us a chance to please you!! We keep our fryers very clean so I can guarantee you the fry oil is not old!! I am sorry you did not enjoy your food and wish you would have given us a chance to please you!! Thank you for taking the time to review us and hope you will try us again
Port Orange, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Never going again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

went with my family. grandson's fry's were overcooked and dry. He said the burger had no flavor. This is from a kid that will eat a burger that has been left-over in the frig for days and like it. The plantains were burnt. My husbands order of fry's never came to the table but they charged us for it. When we complained the owner can to the table and started arguing with me. I tried to tell her to just give me the bill and let me leave but she kept arguing. I was amazed that the owner of a company could act in such a manner.

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
s m, Owner at Gnarly Surf Bar and Grill, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
I am so sorry you did not enjoy your visit with us. I came to the table to make sure that your meals were prepared correctly and to fix any mistakes that may have been made. I certainly did not mean to present myself in an agrumentative manner, I was simply trying to educate you on unfamiliar items. I understand that some of the items we prepared for you today might not have been your normal requests, such as the risotto, mistaken for "white rice"and plaintain chips. Perhaphs, our staff could have informed you that ordering a well done burger, is exactly that..well done:) We tried to accomadate you, as we voided the plaintain chips you did not like, and gave you a complimentary side of fries. It seemed as if you were not interested in a remedy to this unfortunate situation, which is why I did not feel I had an opportunity to please you in any other fashion. I am not sure if you read your bill correctly, but the total was not covered by you, the server was not tipped, and we lost money on your visit. We stride for customer satisfaction and do not like when anyone leaves feeling disatisfied. Good luck with dining in the future.