“Two words--dirty and dated”

Coconut Palms Beach Resort II
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in New Smyrna Beach
Northville, Michigan
“Two words--dirty and dated”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

The ONLY positive to this condo (Royal Palms, an adjacent bldg) is the view of the ocean. The units are dirty, bathrooms have mold, the floors are filthy, the furniture is worn and uncomfortable and much in the kitchenette area was in need of repair or replacement. I would never choose to stay here again!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Judith W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 26 January 2013

I liked it so much I bought 3 weeks of vacation getaway, all here. Room was clean, quiet and comfortable. Neighborhood felt safe and inviting, great walking along the beach and Flagler Avenue. Business districts are tourist oriented, traffic is slower, all favorable for my life style.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Beaker47
Tulsa
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Believe me, even though this is a long review, you have to read it all. It will blow you away. A terrible rating for this resort is much too high, but it is the lowest they allow. I have read many of their 4 and 5-star comment ratings, and wonder how many were sent in by the staff? Those legitimate guests who gave higher ratings and have commented on the cleanliness of the resort must be hoarders who live in pig sties and have no clue as to what is filthy and what is acceptably clean. Other high-raters concentrated on the beauty of the beaches, the pool area, convenience of location, and the restaurants in New Smyrna. Actually none of these things has to do with quality rating of any resort except possibly the pool. There must be 40 to 50 or more resorts in the small-town New Smyrna area and all have the same beach, the same access to food, and the same convenience of location. I am sure 90% of them also have great pool areas. We traded a timeshare in Hawaii at beautiful Hanalei Bay to stay in this black hole of Calcutta. We pay over $1200 a year in maintenance fees and taxes alone for our Hanalei Bay property. It is a 2-bedroom (one with a king-size bed/the other with 2 queens), 2 full bathrooms, full kitchen, large living and dining areas, and 3 large lanais (balconies) all with great views overlooking Hanalei Bay and the mountains in the background with at least a dozen multi-hundred foot waterfalls. Altogether it sleeps a maximum of 12 people. Of course I did not go to CPBR II thinking we would have anything nearly as nice, but what we got appalled us. We checked in a little before 4 PM Dec. 29th, and we received a sardine-can sized efficiency which at best measured no more than 300 sq. feet, with a bar refrigerator, a microwave, a coffee maker, and a balcony OVERLOOKING THE STREET. My wife weighs 97-pounds and standing on the balcony, her stomach to the railing, her posterior was almost touching the "sliding" glass door (more on the door later). We were not happy timeshare traders. One of the first things my wife tried to do was open the door to the balcony. It opened about seven inches and then froze. So she began trying to slide the door and in the process injured the tendons in her left wrist. We do not know yet, but she may need surgery. I went down to the desk to complain about the door and finally someone was sent up to work on it, however it still did not slide easily even after readjusting the tracks and spraying what I assume was some silicon-based substance on the tracks. While at the front desk complaining about the glass door problem, the staff seemed irritated I was doing so at the peak check-in time with several other guests waiting to sign in. When I returned to the room, I called back down to the front desk and asked if they could move us to another room with at least a view of the beach even if it were still the same size, and was informed by Tara that there were no other unoccupied rooms and that even if there were there would be a $55 cleaning fee to move us to another room after we were only there 30 minutes tops. Now, this is the same Tara who on another review that I read told this other guest (who raved about how great this was) that there were also no vacancies but she would move them to another room anyway. How can that be? After calling about a room exchange, I discovered there was no Kleenex, no paper towels, no hair dryer, no dish washing soap, no coffee for the coffee maker, no sponge or cloth to clean the dishes, no towel to dry dishes, no pen or paper, and the towels felt like cactus. There was even a printed disclaimer note inside the cabinet door containing the plates and glasses stating the dishes and eating utensils are not cleaned to minimum federal standards. So seeing as how they seemed to enjoy my previous visit to the desk to complain, I went down again and there was an even bigger crowd checking in which made them all that much more annoyed with my complaints of incompetence and inadequacy. Now back in the room we started doing a cleanliness inspection. To our horror, we discovered black mold not only in the bathroom but also the kitchenette. We lifted the microwave from the countertop, and what we found under it was about a month's build up of crumbs and food, 2 dead roaches (probably from contact with the black mold), and another bug unlike anything I had ever seen. The bed linens smelled musty of mildew and the beds themselves were extremely uncomfortable. The TV looked so old I am certain you would have a tough time even finding one like it at a flea market or Goodwill Store. By this time, my wife had had enough. She got on the phone and the first place she called was Ocean Trillium Suites. They said they had one vacancy for the week, and my wife asked if we could come and check it out. We went down the street to have a look at it, and it was perfect. It had a huge bedroom with a king-size bed, small bathroom (about the same size as CPBR II), huge living area, modern flat screen TV's, dining area, nice-sized FULL kitchen, and a beach-front balcony with a table and room for 4 or 5 chairs if needed. Both the bedroom and the living area had working sliding glass doors that opened onto the balcony with great views of the ocean from both rooms. As a matter of fact, all their rooms had the same great view of the ocean. The beach there is the same one at CPBR II. The location is a bit farther down, but the town is so small, who cares. The pool and pool area are just as nice as CPBR II. We told the person at the front desk at Ocean Trillium that we'd think about it. I was not excited only for the principle of the thing that we not only traded a great timeshare week that cost us $1200 a year in fees, but now we were about to pay $111/night for something we should have been provided at Coconut Palms II. After returning to CPBR II, the only thing I noticed I liked about CPBR II over Ocean Trillium was the water pressure in the shower seemed to be slightly better than OTS. But I still did not like the idea of paying again for what we had already paid. Then the final straw occurred. As I went to lower the speed of the ceiling fan, when I pulled the chain as I was leaning over the bed to do so, the glass cover over the light fixture on the ceiling fan fell off and hit me on top of the head. I had a splitting headache the rest of the night. So I decided that on certain days since we still had the timeshare for the remainder of the week, that we could come over and sit by their pool (thereby having a variety of pool areas to enjoy) when weather permitted and also take a shower at CPBR II with their slightly better water pressure. I have just recently ended chemotherapy and radiation treatments I have been receiving since April, so I need to take showers in a warm room to avoid getting too cold. We gathered all our luggage and prepared to leave, but before leaving the room we turned the thermostat up on heat in the crackerbox-sized room, put a "Do Not Disturb" sign on our door, and left to go downstairs with the light fixture cover that had just cracked my skull as I wanted anyone around to hear the latest atrocity we had encountered. Unfortunately it was about 7 PM by this time, and there were only a couple of people to hear this what I thought would be our final tale of woe. We then went to check into Ocean Trillium, showered from our trip, and enjoyed the remainder of the evening dining and then relaxing. The next day we decided to take an early shower and went over to CPBR II around 1 PM to do so and then go to their pool area. When we got to OUR room, we noticed the "Do Not Disturb" sign had been removed from the door. When we entered, the thermostat had been reset to 72, and because there is no heat lamp fixture in the bathroom there at CPBR II as there is at OTS, the temperature was not near high enough for me to take a comfortable shower. I also noticed the 2 cactus-like beach towels that were only about a size between a hand towel and a regular bath towel and that were lying on the bed the night before when we left were by the kithenette sink soaking wet. I called down to the front desk and asked why someone had entered our room disregarding the "Do Not Disturb" sign. About 3 minutes later the day manager arrived at our door, told us our room reservation had been cancelled, and we were evicted. Then she started with claims about how we had sabotaged the room setting the room thermostat on 100 degrees (when it would only go to 90, I tried it while she was standing there but she refused to look; this being lie #1), how we had clogged the kitchenette and bathroom sinks and bathtub with towels and left the water on so they were overflowing, and how I had taken the clock on the end table and thrown it against the metal door locking off our room to the room next door causing a long arching scratch on the door. She said when they entered our room at 10 AM that morning the floors were covered by inches of water. I asked her if some other guest had reported water in the hallway outside the room, and she said "no" and that the cleaning crew had said there was no water in the hallway. Since we left at 7 PM the night before, and the cleaning crew supposedly discovered the water at 10 AM, with 2 sinks and a bathtub running for about 15 hours, water would have been all over the 4th floor. Plus the kitchenette and bedroom area (both basically one and the same) is all carpeted, and it was bone dry. This was lie #2. When we left the night before as I was removing brochures we had picked out at the tourist info center on the way into town, I accidentally knocked the alarm clock off the back of the night stand against the wall. This was after receiving the aforementioned light fixture to the head. I was so disgusted by that time, I did not bother to retrieve the clock. So now comes lie #3, that I (or my wife) threw the alarm clock againt a metal door making an arching scratch the shape of an over-the-top bell curve with the left side of the arch being only about 4 inches long and the right side extending down probably over 12 inches. This scratch was one of the first things I noticed after initially checking into the room. I asked the manager how she knew the scratch was not there when we arrived, and she told me the person who had inspected our room before we checked in told her this. I guess this was also the highly competent inspector who did not notice the crumbs and bugs under the microwave, the black mold, no Kleenex, no dish washing soap, no coffee, no paper towels, no sponge or cleaning rag, and no dish towel, but for sure noticed there was no scratch on the door. First of all, the plastic clock looked to be unharmed. If anyone had thrown it with enough force to make a mark that long, the clock would have surely sustained some noticeable damage in an encounter with a metal door. Secondly, if thrown, the clock would have most likely only caused a dent and then bounced off. And lastly, both my wife and I are right handed. To cause a mark shaped like that on the door, we would have had to be on our hands and knees to create an ascending scratch on the right side over a foot long, but then why would the arch and descending scratch look as if it had the same amount of force creating an equally severe scratch in an area where if the clock were actually thrown, the force by the time it had reached its apex would have been so reduced that no descending scratch would have occurred. Then the last lie came when she claimed that Tara had offered us a different room, but that we had refused to pay their $55 cleaning fee to move. Since we had left our camera at the other condo and our cell phone camera was in the car, we told her we'd be right back because we wanted to take pictures of the room and all the so-called damage we'd caused. She then told us that she had called the New Smyrna police department and that if we re-entered the building the officers who were on their way would arrest us for trespassing. Since our cell phone is an older one and has no camera flash, we decided to leave and then the next day come back with our digital camera with flash, call the cops ourselves, force the resort to give us our room back due to unlawful eviction, or at least let the cops escort us up to the room so we could take pictures of their bogus damage claims. The next day we were met over there by 2 officers who told us since this was a civil matter it was out of their hands, and they had no power to either rescind the eviction or even force the resort to allow us to take pictures. So what I have guessed this boils down to is that first they were not happy about our complaints in front of other guests about their incompetence and negligence, but most of all, they wanted us out so they could re-rent our room for New Year's Eve. We subsequently checked, and for that week the little dump of a room they put us in was renting for $134/night as opposed to our over 4-times larger suite at Ocean Trillium that was only $111. I wouldn't have paid $40/night to stay in the room we were given at Coconut Palms. Then to add insult to injury, just because they think I'll roll over and let them get away with it, CPBR II charged my credit card a $120 fee. So if you enjoy miserable vacations and love giving your hard-earned money to dishonest unscrupulous people, I think you should definitely stay at Coconut Palms Beach Resort II. NO WHERE ON THE PLANET COULD BE THIS BAD; EVEN HAITI, KINGSTON, MUMBAI, AND AFGHANISTAN MOST LIKELY TREAT THEIR GUESTS WITH MORE REGARD THAN CPBR II.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere but here!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
30 Thank Ashley J

Travellers are raving about these New Smyrna Beach hotels

Templeton, California
Reviewed 12 December 2012

When we first entered the room, we were overcome by the musty smell. A 27 oz. bottle of Frebreze was sprayed over bedding, throw rug, living room furniture, and drapery to mask the smell. Overall cleanliness was unacceptable. We would take a shower and after an hour of walking barefoot, our feet were black. There is mildew in both bathrooms and the front windows are dirty. The coffee pot grounds holder had a buildup of calcium deposits that needed cleaning before first use.
The following items are broken and in need of repair:
Toilet in master bathroom is loose and wobbles. Guest bathroom fan is very loud when running. One half of the power outlet near front window and sofa does not work. Unable to lock the front window. Front room coffee table has a loose leg and unable to tighten. Several light switches in the unit do not control anything that we can see.
Other inconveniences:
No mid-week housekeeping service. Have to carry dirty laundry through the complex to exchange for clean linens. Washing machines and dryers for personal use are old and perform at sub-par levels. Had to connect cables from DVD player to TV to make it work.
Due to these reasons is why we a left the resort 2 days early.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank anthony c
Greeley, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 30 November 2012

it was so beautiful, you must see for yourself. had a great time with my children.enjoyed the vacation so much didn't want to come back home.bought groceries for the kitchen amd had some good food, fully equipped . we all so much loved it.

Room Tip: stayed on the east side overlooking beach, quite something, and accomidations are very good
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Gloria G
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Not sure what the other rooms for owners or renters are like but we took the Interval Resort Accommodation at a modest price. I guess I should have known you get what you pay for. Got probably the worst room in the place and staff would not respond to any change! I had to go out to the front desk which was only a few feet away - our room was the very first one off the lobby and request that the housekeeper come in for a re-clean our bathroom that they claim was cleaned and inspected. Gross!!
Beach was nice and pool area empty which was great. So why couldn't they change our room????
Guess they don't want to clean.
We were never approached for a timeshare preview - thank goodness!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Timetoplay71
Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed 15 November 2012

My wife and I checked in on Sunday and left Thursday.. Property is old and outdated. It smelled old and musty as soon as we walked into the lobby. We stayed in one bedroom unit. The toilet was old and blocked for two days. The bathroom tiles were dirty and cracked. The furniture was old and outdated. The couch and chair were very uncomfortable. The room is very small and cramped. Ice maker made noise all night when the ice dropped. We were also duped in listening to the timeshare sales pitch by a slick sales tactic. We told them we did not want to sit down for one, but they told it was only to discuss the new timeshare point system. We were duped... they try to sell us one week for $6900. Very deceiving.. Also, the $75 Visa for sitting on the sales talk did not work for two days. Numerous calls and threats got us the $70 Visa.. after $5 service fee. The front staff were not very friendly. We could not wait to get home.

Room Tip: Choose another property.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank paradise843
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Smyrna Beach
Hampton Inn New Smyrna Beach
Hampton Inn New Smyrna Beach
#1 of 13 in New Smyrna Beach
Best Western New Smyrna Beach Hotel & Suites
Best Western New Smyrna Beach Ho...
#2 of 13 in New Smyrna Beach
#6 of 11 in New Smyrna Beach
No photo provided
Nocturne Motel
#8 of 13 in New Smyrna Beach

Been to Coconut Palms Beach Resort II? Share your experiences!