“id stay again and again”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Coastal Waters Inn

Coastal Waters Inn
Florida
“id stay again and again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2009

I have stayed at Coastal Waters Inn many times the past few years with friends and family and i have always enjoyed my stay. Of course I might have had a couple of problems at check in but I didnt let t ruin my stay. I always get a great room that fits our needs and a view to match. And by the way Coastal Waters doesnt have any elevators and never did. Just thought I would say that for whoever wrote that they lost their keys in the elevator and the faculty failed to help. They dont have one, never did.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank cansb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Lake Mary, FL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2007

My family and I have been coming to New Smyrna Beach for over 10 years, and finally decided to stay in the area for a weekend. We chose this hotel after two others with a comparable price and location were unavailable, AND after reading the glowing reviews that other guests/patrons had written. To our disappointment, the hotel and the management were not at all what we expected. The pool, which is to the side of the one-building property, was dirty and looked like it hadn't been cleaned/filtered in at least a month. Additionally, when you ran out of towels, either poolside or within your room (and we were in a suite (2 rooms) that accommodates 6), you had to go to the front desk to "exchange" them. And when you did approach the staff, they were not very friendly or helpful. The hotel appears to be pretty old (circa 1970's?) and the rooms we rented were not very clean, and as another reviewer mentioned, the bathroom was very small, and there is no A/C vent in the master bedroom, which meant you had to crank down the air in the adjacent living room just to sleep without sweating. But the WORST part of staying at the hotel was that you needed a key to open the gate to get TO the beach from the hotel. I understand why this is a legitimate method of keeping non-patrons off the property who come IN from the beach, but it was such a hassle to carry your beach towels, umbrellas, etc, all the way to the gate, only to realize you need a key to get OUT, which is a real problem when you are traveling with more than one person - because if you left/forgot your key with the rest of your party on the beach, you would not be able to get to them unless some other hotelgoer with a key showed up from EITHER side. We were locked IN several times which was pretty bizarre. Overall, as another reviewer put it, the only good thing about the Coastal Waters Inn was how cheap the rental was. But I would NEVER recommend this property to a family who values cleanliness and good service over price.

• Liked — The location, right on the beach
  • Disliked — Please read my review.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank newsmyrnafans

Travellers are raving about these New Smyrna Beach hotels

Longwood
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2006

I am from Longwood, Florida and stay quite often. I was a little upset regarding the check in time as well. I drove straight over, called first and tried to get in my room by 2pm, but they would not budge. I also do not think it is any of their business if your husband is joining you later or not ,nor a son or daughter. That was a little odd, them asking too many questions and all the "do not" signs as well. I think locals know how to treat establishments with respect. I understand the regular rules, such as no running, no diving, no glass by the pool, etc... and I respect a tightly run place, but some of the attitudes do disturb me. I will go back again, on the up side because it is very clean and well taken care of and my family has fun. The way the place is , is in plain sight of everything you do is very true.

Stayed July 2006
2 Thank cisea
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2006

I stayed here a few years back. I am returning to the area and wanted to read the recent reviews. I see nothing has changed and will not be staying here. Yes, the rooms are ok...mine was anyway, but as I recall they are each individually owned so are not all alike. And the beach is good. Anyway, even if you are pleased with the property all it takes is a visit with the management and all is lost. Check in was a total fiasco. Very unprofessional. The last day I dropped my keys down the elevater shaft by mistake . Could see them in plain sight but nobody could get them for me until the elevater people came which was going to be after I had to leave. I could tell they couldn't care less about it. I left my address and they promised to mail them to me when the elevater people came a few days later. Well, guess what? Can you guess? They never mailed them to me and when I called about it they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. Which is BS..they all knew. Called again and acted like I was a bother. I left my address twice. No excuse. They're just rude and are NOT going to treat you like someone who just gave them alot of money!! VERY unprofessional staff. But you find that alot in Florida.

Stayed August 2006
3 Thank JustBeachee
South Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2006

First, the good news. You can believe all the hype; New Smyrna is everything you've heard about and then some...simple, quiet, leisurely, full of old Florida charm without feeling stuffy or secluded. However, as most natives to the Sunshine State will testify, there is a distinct difference between "old Florida" and "dated". Coastal Waters stradles this fine line, albeit unsuccessfully.

On the plus side, the oceanfront location cannot be beat. You are literally within a few feet of New Smyrna's silky white sands (a definite plus considering that peak tides often threaten to swallow up most of the beach on a daily basis, making it impossible to drive upon in many areas). And if cleanliness rates high on your list of priorities, you'll not leave disappointed; Coastal Waters is nothing short of immaculate inside and out.

Sadly, the accolades end there. The old Florida vibe that has become New Smyrna's signature is soon forgotten once inside your room. The layout and decor are in DIRE need of an upgrade, with appliances suffering from rust and decay and an insufficient AC unit that is incapable of cooling both rooms comfortably (leaving our poor daughters frozen to the bone during the night while my wife and I sweated it out under a meager celing fan in the back bedroom). The creaky, uncomfortable pull-out couch certainly didn't help matters; our kids awoke to stiff necks and sore backs every morning. Maintaining a consistent water temperature while showering also proved to be a nightly challenge, as did the simple act of entering and exiting (this one's not for the vertically challenged, folks). A good size TV with all the necessary channels in the front room left me wondering why there was no such animal in the bedroom, especially considering the long stretch of cable tucked neatly along the perimeter wall and tied securely at the end. Outside, we found the pool to be warm and welcoming during the day, as did several other patrons of the Inn at approximately 1am Saturday morning. This puzzled me a bit, considering the laundry list of rules and regulations I was given at check-in, not to mention the staff's reputation for ensuring orderly conduct at all hours (thankfully this incident was not repeated the following morning).

Would we return? Definitely! At check-out we found ourselves already planning our return visit...to the same beach, the same shoreline, the same intoxicating breezes and leisurely pace...and a different address.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank thewalrus62
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2006

My family and I have stayed here many times and wouldnt consider staying anywhere else. We are going back in 3 wks for the weekend and cant wait. Having the smaller pool right next to the big one is SO convenient when you have little ones. I save LOTS of money by bringing my own meals to cook. Skye Milner

• Stayed July 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2006

We stayed for five nights from March 26th to the 31st, 2006. We loved it! It was more than we ever expected. It is exceptionally clean with what looks like pretty new furnishings. It was more like a 3-room suite with plenty of room and beautiful views of the ocean and beach and the rates are reasonable. We had no problems with anyone working there.
Yes, there are rules but they are there for a reason. Most people want a quiet stay and that's what you get. They don't allow people under 21 (alone), there are no loud parties and unruly young people and middle aged people, like ourselves, feel safe. There are enough places out there that don't care who they rent to so those who choose to party can pick someplace else. We were extremely satisfied!

• Stayed March 2006, travelled on business