“Not Worth Playing”

Hidden Lakes Golf Course
More attraction details
Owner description: Remodeled by Lloyd Clifton in 1995, this course features a signature hole on #4: a 350-yard, par 4, requiring a lay-up tee shot, then an approach shot over water to a well-bunkered green.
The Villages, Florida
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Not Worth Playing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I drove over an hour to play this course which had favorable reviews and found that the greens were unplayable. When I pay $30 to play a course I expect to be able to putt on the greens--otherwise it is not golf. I tried to write an unfavorable review on the discount golf website through which I booked my tee time but discovered that they only post favorable reviews.

The unplayable greens and problems with the fairways are very unfortunate as the course has a lovely layout with some very scenic holes. The pro contacted me after my original unpublished review to explain that the greens were just aerated, but in my opinion, the greens had been aerated improperly a long time ago and left with bumpy depressions and did not have the sand top coating typically applied immediately after aeration.

The course gets a lot of play from locals who probably are used to these conditions but as a mid handicap golfer looking for a nice golf experience while vacationing this is NOT the course to try.

Hopefully they will improve conditions on this course and other Trip Advisor reviewers will update the information, but in my opinion this course was unplayable when I was there on February 4, 2014. My girlfriends and I were all very disappointed.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Irishlass54

Frankford, Delaware
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good place for a golf game.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

There are several golf courses in or near New Smyrna Beach Florida. We would pick Hidden Lakes to return and play again.

Decent course for you $$$.

Visited January 2014
Grottoes, Virginia
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Fore!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

My husband and I wanted to take in some golf while vacationing in Daytona Beach, FL. Hidden Lakes, New Smyrna Beach is a lovely course not far from where we were staying. We called about the best time for us to tee off and was told that a good time would be between 10 am and 1 pm, as they were slower at that time. I am learning the game and this time frame provided me the opportunity to take my time playing. Two rounds of golf with cart ran us about $48.00. The course is pleasant and at times very windy, so it proved to be a bit of a challenge. There are a couple holes with some tricky hazards.The course is in very good shape and the landscaping is beautiful and very picturesque. If you are in the area and play this course is a great choice. I agree with other reviewers that the employees are very friendly and helpful.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank RoamingAimlessly
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Nice staff, good course”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

It is a short course (par 69), but a very nice course for the money. It was nice to play something a little less challenging when I haven't played in a while. Course was in great shape and the pace of play was very quick.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Eric_L_25
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great Folks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

We tried this golf course for the first time and were pleased. The folks who own it and all their employees are very friendly and helpful. Saturday clinic for $15 is well worth it.

Visited March 2013