“Great as usual!”
Review of NSB Seashack

NSB Seashack
Price range: US$0 - US$22
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pizza, Seafood
Good for: View, Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We like to say, "We have something for everyone!". Pj's has fabulous food, fantastic decor, lively bar, and spectacular views overlooking the Indian River lagoon. Serving fresh seafood, pasta, steak, and pizza in an open air restaurant. Featuring daily specials, early bird specials and happy hour!
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great as usual!”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Recently went back to one of our favorite spots on beachside New Smyrna. Service was fast, friendly and steered us in the right direction towards the dinner specials. My wife had the Blackened Cobia which she loved. The fish was cooked perfectly with a spicy white bean sauce and sticky rice. I had Grouper special which was served over a cioppino sauce with shrimp, mussels clams etc. Heaven!

This is our #1 go to spot for fantastic seafood and drinks

Paris, France
“BE VERY CAREFUL!”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This restaurant was on the Orlando TV news as having been fined several times by the Board of Health for poor, unsanitary health conditions in the restaurant. I did eat there (before knew this ( & did get very sick). Would never eat there again if paid me to eat their food.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank D'Artagnan B
Melisa R, Owner at NSB Seashack, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Hello - I would like to take the time to address your review first by saying that PJs is under new ownership. The news article that you are referencing was posted nearly a year ago and it was prior to the new ownership taking over. As I am sure you can see from other TripAdvisor reviewers, the food quality has improved tremendously since then as well as the service. Since our taking over of the restaurant we have had nothing but positive health inspections with no major infractions.

I hope that you will give us another shot when you come back and not wait nearly a year to review a business after dining there in the future.
Eustis, Florida
“I Can't Believe Anyone Eats Here.”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Where do I start? The place smells really bad, looks really dirty, and is staffed by a crew of rude and unhelpful people.
They have a dirty piece of plastic tubing running overhead that has a few fish trying to stay alive. This is something one would see on Kitchen Nightmares.
Then, there are the bugs. Tons of bugs in this establishment. From the no-see-ums swarming due to the open doors and windows, to the kind that don't fly. Lots of crawly critters in and around.
We came here on mothers day, and were met by bad attitudes and horrible service. They weren't very busy for a holiday, so we decided to stay since we had just driven an hour and a half.
Whoever runs the bar at this place needs to be FIRED. They couldnt make a proper drink to save their lives. Who in the hell makes a maitai with no rum? Really, they just give you vodka and juice and call that a maitai.
For an appetizer, we ordered firecracker shrimp. This was a huge mistake. They came swimming in a tepid pool of nasty sauce. the shrimp were so bland and mushy, they just weren't palatable.
The lobster was described as 1 1/4 lbs, but when I got mine it was a very puny little lobster. The sides were nothing to be proud of, either. Just hastily prepared bland crap off the Sysco truck...
Which leads me to the question- why the hell does this place cost so much?? Some of the worst prices I have ever seen for that kind of "quality". It is more than apparent to anyone who knows anything about food at all that whoever owns this place is not someone who actually knows food, or has any passion for it at all.
I don't know how this place gets any business, but next time I'm in New Smyrna, I'll not even bat an eye at this DISGUSTING DIVE. I wish that here were a way to score them lower.

2 Thank charles b
Melisa R, Owner at NSB Seashack, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Hi Charles -
Thanks for your review, albeit a bad one. Without comments from customers such as yourself, it doesn't challenge us to get better. With that said, I am sorry that you had a bad experience and I wish that you would have asked for a manager during your visit. I would like to address some of the comments in your review:
The fish tank that runs above our dining room is one of the highlights for many out of towners that visit and the fish are alive and well. Being on the water (overlooking the marsh) unfortunately does allow for those pesky little gnats to make their way into the dining room during the summer months. Our staff should have had the windows closed to alleviate this from happening on the night of your visit and we have addressed it. I am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy our variation of a Mai Tai ... a lot of establishments adopt their own recipe to make it unique to them. As for the food, yes Sysco is a vendor of ours, but not for our seafood (which comes in fresh). All-in-all, it sounds like you just had an awful experience and we had an off night (which there is no excuse for).

As I mentioned, without reviews we can't get better. I apologize for your time at the restaurant and I hope that you will give us another shot at some point down the road.
“Great fire brick pizza”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The restaurant may not look like much but have great pizza!!! Made in open fire brick oven. Seafood is good also. Staff always pleasant. Right across from the garlic.

Visited October 2013
Port Orange, Florida
“Pizza at a Seafood Restaurant?”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The locals know a great pizza place when they see one.. but wait? Isn't this a Seafood restaurant? That's right, the best of both worlds. On Tuesdays, they hold a pizza buffet using their very nicely built pizza oven. Local favorites include BBQ Chicken & Bacon, Pepperoni, Thick-coin Sausage, All-the-way and Cheese. Even some nights, they have some odd favorites, including Baked potato, pulled pork and some others. Always a great time, and if they have the room in their section, Ask for Steve or Lacie. Both had the best service I've seen in a restaurant in quite a while. I will be back soon.