“Needs Help”

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in New Smyrna Beach
PT RICHEY, FLA
“Needs Help”
Reviewed 10 June 2008

I was not happy, the service in this hotel was terrible, there was no ac in the lobby, when check in at 3.00 or 4.00, there is a line of people standing and waiting for service, and no ac in fla. is terrible, only one person trying to help people and she was sweating. Plus we were suppose to have a non smoking room and it was a smoking room. Not nice. I would not stay there again.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank FlaCarol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
North Carolina
Reviewed 3 June 2008

The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was obviously a converted motel but we lacked nothing. Nice balcony with great view of the beach/ocean. Great location. I rented a bicycle and enjoyed riding to Flagler Ave and on the beach. The beach is not crowded. They drive on the beach here, but it is not annoying like Daytona Beach.
Our air was not working on 2 morings after leaving it off all night (with the door open to hear the ocean). Both days Gary responded within an hour and had it fixed.
The mattress was very hard. They gave us an 'egg-crate' topper to use.
Hot dogs for lunch are only a dollar.

• Liked — Location, view.
  • Disliked — Small, slow elevators.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed 23 April 2008

We picked the Islander for a change of scenery and something new. We got a beautiful view of the ocean, but unfortunately we also got unwanted roommates, ants and terrible customer service from the front desk team.
The first night we noticed a few ants running around in the Kitchen. My cousin, a native to Florida, informed me that is was normal to have a couple of ants due to the ocean and wet weather. The next morning we woke to a colony of 50 or more ants living in the kitchen. We called the front desk twice to report the problem. They sent a cleaning person up who handed us straws with chemicals to place throughout the kitchen. She informed us that they have ant problems in the end rooms. I was shocked that she didn't come in the room to see the problem and that she just handed us the chemicals. I was also concerned to have the chemicals laying around with my 14 month-old daughter. When we went down to the pool we stopped at the front desk and asked if we could have another room due to the problem. I also explained my concern with the chemical and my 14 month-old daughter. They showed no signs of concern of the ant issue and said in a cold tone that they were booked and would put us on a waiting list. We decided to give it until that night to see what they would do. No one from the Islander followed up with us. The next morning after finding even more ants, we gave up and checked out. Even when they asked why we were checking out and I explained it was due to the ants, they didn't say anything and showed no signs of concern. I was lucky that my husband and I are owners with Diamond Resorts, who quickly got us into a friendlier, cleaner (ant free) and updated resort.
I usually do not complain or write reviews, but the customer service we received (or should say didn't recieve) was terrible and unacceptable by any means. We would have stayed and overlooked the out dated decor if it wasn't for the ants and lack of customer service. For the money, you can stay at a friendlier and cleaner hotel or resort.

• Liked — The ocean view
  • Disliked — Pests (ants) in our Kitchen area and out dated decor
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank Withy
Michigan
Reviewed 8 April 2008

We stayed at the Islander 3/15 - 3/22 and had a wonderful week! The first day I felt like we were on a cruise ship around the pool with the men's hula contest, musical chairs and caribbean music. They have an itinerary of activities most days. The area has very little traffic compared to Daytona Beach. All the staff were extremely helpful and very friendly. I really think they love their jobs!. For an older resort, it has been very well maintained, and updated. I would definitely return!!

• Liked — fun, sun, water, pool, staff
  • Disliked — pool towels (next time I'll bring my own)
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dasisme
Pepper Pike, Ohio
Reviewed 2 April 2008

Wife and I stayed at the Islander in mid-March. Since we have never been to this area in Florida, we were somewhat hesitant, but it turned out to be a great time! The islander is a timeshare-condo-type hotel with decent rooms. We stayed at a 1-bedroom unit on the 6th floor with a nice ocean-front view. Overall, the value is very good for the ocean-front room we got.
The unit had a kitchen, a nice bedroom with almost a floor-to-ceiling window, which was great! We left the shades open overnight and woke up every morning looking out and watching the ocean. The balcony came in handy as well, as we bought some breakfast food at a nearby Publix and ate on the balcony.
There is also a queen-sized pull down bed and another queen-sezed sofa-bed in the living room.
The pool is the best item at this resort. It has plenty of room, although it tends to be full of people after 9am, but is great overall. They also provide beach towels, which is great as well. There is a ramp to the beach which is controlled with your room key - very secure! They have activities pretty much every day at the pool, such as water aerobics, voleyball, even $1 hot dogs :)
The area has many decent restaurants, we loved Norwood's, PJ's Sea Shack (the best), Garlic. There are not as many younger people as in Cocoa Beach or Daytona, so it is much quieter and relaxing. Unless there are special events going on, there is not much to do, but this is what we were looking for - a nice place on the beach.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — The Cafe was not open all day
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelfromOhio
CT
Reviewed 27 March 2008

Although the weather was a bit chilly,our stay at the Islander was really great. The entire staff from the front desk to the laundery people were super. The room and facitlities were very clean and the location on the beach spectacular. We were also in very good position to travel to other areas of interest. I hope to return again next year on my RCI week.

Stayed February 2008
Florida
Reviewed 22 March 2008

I have been going to the Islander for 18 years. Every July we stay for two weeks. The staff is always friendly and ready to greet all who walk in the door. There are always activities for the kids. They usually have a night for teenagers with music, dancing and food. Pool, ping pong and dart competitions are always happening. The rooms are spacious with great views. I would recommend getting a room with a balcony on the fifth floor. For the teenagers, the lobby is always open. It's a great place to hang out with new friends and play games all night. And of course wireless internet is available. The restraunts are pretty good. The Garlic is one of the best. I would recommend you sit outside by one of their outdoor fireplaces or by the piano inside. Another one of my favorites is Norwoods. JB's fish camp is also a great place to eat. Some of the best gator tail around. All in all the Islander is the best beach resort out there. I would recommend it to anybody who is looking to relax and have a good time.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank yellowchik404
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Smyrna Beach
Best Western New Smyrna Beach Hotel & Suites
Best Western New Smyrna Beach Ho...
#2 of 13 in New Smyrna Beach
#7 of 31 in Daytona Beach Shores
Coastal Waters Inn
Coastal Waters Inn
#6 of 11 in New Smyrna Beach

Been to Islander Beach Resort? Share your experiences!