“Very Nice Stay About a 3 Start Resort”

Islander Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in New Smyrna Beach
Schaumburg, IL
“Very Nice Stay About a 3 Start Resort”
Reviewed 25 January 2009

We stayed at the Islander the second week of January through an RCI exchange. We were in a one bedroom unit and there were four adults and one child in our group. The unit has a decent sized bedroom and then a murphy bed in the living room and a sofa bed. Thankfully, our friends staying with us are not very demanding, because I would not want to sleep on that murphy bed. We did request a mattress topper that was delivered promptly by Maintenance, but still, it would have been odd to sleep in the living room like that. All of the living room furniture had to be moved around every night to accommodate the bed. Additionally, the bathroom was one of the smallest bathrooms I have ever been in! On the positive side, the ocean view was phenominal...also the sunrise in the morning was just breathtaking. The unit was well equipped for cooking and hanging out. There was a DVD player and a flat screen tv in the bedroom. The staff was very nice and responded to each of our requests.
There were activities posted each day for both kids and adults. The pool was heated and the two spas were quite hot. Our guys went for the Happy Hour and 39 cent oysters a couple of times and really enjoyed it. The pool area has a wind shield and is completely secure from the beach area.
If you have not been to New Smyrna before, you are in for a treat. It is a very quiet, friendly, clean, wonderful area. The beach is wide, spacious, full of shells and great for walking. At the north end of the beach, there are numerous surfers and schools of dolphins to enjoy watching. There are some great casual restaurants and little shops to explore. Our favorite restaurants were Heavenly BBQ and Touch of Italy.
We did agree to attend the Vacation Club presentation because they upped the offer from $75 to $125, but you have to travel to Daytona Beach for the presentation and then they give you a Visa gift card rather than cash, so that was a little irritating. Most of the salespeople looked like they just came out off a used car lot. I wouldn't really recommend attending this and the Vacation Voyage Venture deal was really not a good deal because if you belong to RCI, there is no additional value...plus they insist that you purchase a four week plan.
I would recommend this resort if you don't have very high expectations and are happy with a Holiday Inn type hotel on the beach. We spoke with a lot of fellow visitors and some were there for weeks and months at a time and there were certainly a lot of repeat guests.
If you plan to visit Orlando during you visit, it actually is a 90 minute drive.

• Liked — The location and the view
  • Disliked — There was not WI-FI internet service You can't connect to the internet unless you go to McDonalds or the library
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank katezooza

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
montreal
Reviewed 23 December 2008

This timeshare is ok. Clean and well maintained. The only issues are it is far (20-30 miles from Daytona Beach) in an isolated area. Also, the internet. The Wifi was down every day and was not fixed. It was a big negative from me since I like to surf the net while on Holidays and to answer my email. I will definitely not stay there again since there are much nice places in Daytona Beach. Thx.

• Liked — cleaniness and pool
  • Disliked — internet - no acces
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 16 July 2008

My husband purchased a time share unit at the Islander about 17 or 18 years ago. We use our week every year! There aren't many time share owners who can say that. But, people who own at the Islander like to go back time and time again. The Islander is really much more of a time share resort than a hotel. When we've been there, a very high percentage of the units are usually owner occupied. Just sit around the hot tub and start talking with people and you'll learn this! I was actually surprised to see it listed as a hotel!

There are newer time share units/all suites hotels in the New Smyrna Beach area that have better floor plans, especially much larger/nicer bathrooms. Newer time shares and hotels usually have much faster elevators, too! The Islander's elevators are ridiculously slow. This is problematic on Fridays and Saturdays (check in/check out days). But the rest of the time it isn't too bad. It's just a minor nuisance.

The Islander has a couple of features that we particularly like. First, from what we've observed, it has one of the largest pools in New Smyrna Beach. It is always clean and sparkly! We love the ocean, but we generally find that the surf is too powerful to do much actual swimming. So, we spend time playing in the surf and then we swim in the pool. Second, almost all of the units at the Islander have balconies that look out over the ocean. You won't get stuck looking out over a parking lot! Third, it doesn't try to be something that it isn't. It is not a place for nightlife or tourism and it really doesn't try to be. It is a place for rest and relaxation at the beach, and it does a great job at providing a beautiful location to do this!

The folks at the front desk, the housekeeping and maintenance staff, and the activities staff have always been friendly and helpful. We have never had any problem that they could not resolve.

If you are looking for entertainment or night life, go to Daytona. If you enjoy being herded through crowded theme parks while the temperature is in the 90s, go to Orlando. If you want a place that is quiet, has some fabulous local restaurants, and a beautiful beach, go to New Smyrna Beach.

Stayed August 2007
PT RICHEY, FLA
Reviewed 10 June 2008

I was not happy, the service in this hotel was terrible, there was no ac in the lobby, when check in at 3.00 or 4.00, there is a line of people standing and waiting for service, and no ac in fla. is terrible, only one person trying to help people and she was sweating. Plus we were suppose to have a non smoking room and it was a smoking room. Not nice. I would not stay there again.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank FlaCarol
North Carolina
Reviewed 3 June 2008

The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was obviously a converted motel but we lacked nothing. Nice balcony with great view of the beach/ocean. Great location. I rented a bicycle and enjoyed riding to Flagler Ave and on the beach. The beach is not crowded. They drive on the beach here, but it is not annoying like Daytona Beach.
Our air was not working on 2 morings after leaving it off all night (with the door open to hear the ocean). Both days Gary responded within an hour and had it fixed.
The mattress was very hard. They gave us an 'egg-crate' topper to use.
Hot dogs for lunch are only a dollar.

• Liked — Location, view.
  • Disliked — Small, slow elevators.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed 23 April 2008

We picked the Islander for a change of scenery and something new. We got a beautiful view of the ocean, but unfortunately we also got unwanted roommates, ants and terrible customer service from the front desk team.
The first night we noticed a few ants running around in the Kitchen. My cousin, a native to Florida, informed me that is was normal to have a couple of ants due to the ocean and wet weather. The next morning we woke to a colony of 50 or more ants living in the kitchen. We called the front desk twice to report the problem. They sent a cleaning person up who handed us straws with chemicals to place throughout the kitchen. She informed us that they have ant problems in the end rooms. I was shocked that she didn't come in the room to see the problem and that she just handed us the chemicals. I was also concerned to have the chemicals laying around with my 14 month-old daughter. When we went down to the pool we stopped at the front desk and asked if we could have another room due to the problem. I also explained my concern with the chemical and my 14 month-old daughter. They showed no signs of concern of the ant issue and said in a cold tone that they were booked and would put us on a waiting list. We decided to give it until that night to see what they would do. No one from the Islander followed up with us. The next morning after finding even more ants, we gave up and checked out. Even when they asked why we were checking out and I explained it was due to the ants, they didn't say anything and showed no signs of concern. I was lucky that my husband and I are owners with Diamond Resorts, who quickly got us into a friendlier, cleaner (ant free) and updated resort.
I usually do not complain or write reviews, but the customer service we received (or should say didn't recieve) was terrible and unacceptable by any means. We would have stayed and overlooked the out dated decor if it wasn't for the ants and lack of customer service. For the money, you can stay at a friendlier and cleaner hotel or resort.

• Liked — The ocean view
  • Disliked — Pests (ants) in our Kitchen area and out dated decor
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank Withy
Michigan
Reviewed 8 April 2008

We stayed at the Islander 3/15 - 3/22 and had a wonderful week! The first day I felt like we were on a cruise ship around the pool with the men's hula contest, musical chairs and caribbean music. They have an itinerary of activities most days. The area has very little traffic compared to Daytona Beach. All the staff were extremely helpful and very friendly. I really think they love their jobs!. For an older resort, it has been very well maintained, and updated. I would definitely return!!

• Liked — fun, sun, water, pool, staff
  • Disliked — pool towels (next time I'll bring my own)
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dasisme
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Smyrna Beach
Best Western New Smyrna Beach Hotel & Suites
Best Western New Smyrna Beach Ho...
#2 of 13 in New Smyrna Beach
Best Western Edgewater Inn
Coastal Waters Inn
Coastal Waters Inn
#7 of 11 in New Smyrna Beach

Been to Islander Beach Resort? Share your experiences!