“I LOVE the Islander Beach Resort”

Islander Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in New Smyrna Beach
canada
“I LOVE the Islander Beach Resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2010

We come to the Islander every year, usually in March. There are about 8 different families who all go to the Islander; it is like home. The staff are great, and I would recommend the Islander to anyone!! Check it out!! :o)

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2010

We have stayed at many a Resort or Hotel in the world, and I can clearly state that this is the most run-down, disgusting, seedy and unsafe "resort" I have seen. It is like paying someone to get beaten up. That is why we left after 2 days, even though we had a reservation for seven! The reason why we went there in the first place was that for the period of Dec 26-Jan1 nothing was available in Orlando, or even in all of central Florida in our RCI exchange. What a mistake!

The resort is an old old building (probably of 1950s vintage) of about 8 stories. It has a number of units facing the sea and some not so. After the checkin process, when we went up to our room, the first unpleasent surpise was there (and they keep coming on and on!) The elevator was slow, creaking and small. There was even a satiric poem about the elevator on the walls. Never mind, we thought, let us go up and see our room.

When we got down from the elevator, the whole flor tiles were missing from the floor in the hall on our level. Somehow skipping that we entered our room. It was again a vintage little gem, with wall hanging rotary phones and ovens with dials thrown in for effect. The room was exceptionally small and we had to move the glass dining table towards the wall so that one of us do not bump against it inadvertantly while moving. There a sofabed and a tiny 19 inch TV in the sitting room. The bathroom was so tiny, the door would not open fully. The wash basin area was about as wide as the bathroom: sound ridiculous? But there it was! The "free wi-fi" in every room was not working in our room: and the girl at the check in counter waved that away saying that in some rooms the wi-fi was a little 'iffy". I never could connect from my room.

But our experience was about to start in the night. This 2009-2010 winter season was (and is still) exceptionally cold for Florida. And here was the surprise we found out in our frist night: the Heater does not work! I called the front desk immediately: and were told that there was no one that could help us as the front desk was closed (at 11:10pm). When I went down to the front desk all I found was a security guy patrolling the floor who clearly could not help. He however provided us with 2 blankets (and none too clean) to try and keep warm doring the first night.

Having shivered through the first night, we went out during the day and when we returned with some anxiety whether the heater was fixed or not, we found it was. Well we thought, all will be OK. But surprise surprise, during the second night (at about 12 midnight) the oven light came on and stayed on with the oven running by utself. Of course I called down to the front desk: and you guessed it! The same security guy was there who told me he could not help but promised to pass this info onto maintenence the next day! What I I found was that the oven dial was skewed and hanging by a thread and somehow that was turning the oven on by itself! Talk about shoddy maintenence and slack service.

We had had enough of this place and the next morning we checked out, abandoning our remaining 5 nights there. After all, safety was higher on our priority list and with two safety related incidents in two nights, we were not sure what the next night would bring us.

This resort is a dump, and a h*ll hole at that. Anyone who praises this resort has gotta be like Mother teresa who just wants to give away their hard earned money and who expects nothing. Or that person has to have REALLY LOW expectations. We did not belong in these two categories and we chose to get out.

Do not get into this resort even if they give it to you for free. After all, your safety is more important than getting a few nights on the cheap. And you are going to get a lot of surprises there, all unpleasent, during your stay. Be smart and avoid it all together. Look at the photos to get a look at the world's smallest Bathroom.

I have never before written a negative review like this before, but then, I never encountered a place like this before!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
8 Thank Jason_M_Ontario
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2009

My parents used to bring me to the Islander when I was very young. I loved it then and love it still today! We visit each March with my parents, but have recently purchased 2 of our own weeks. The staff is fantastic, the kid's programs are great, and being able to sign out 'extras' like crock pots, cribs, highchairs, etc. is so convenient! Each year we find neat and exciting places to check out in the nearby area such as the nature drives, sugar mill, acquariums, Fort in St. Augustine, etc. The beach out front is always clean and great for wave diving, etc. We love this area!

Again, if you're looking for a hopping night life...this is not the place for you! Next door is a little tiki hut...but that's pretty much it. For those with kids, this place is fantastic!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Louisville, KY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2009

As usual, the Islander was great. For those people writing a negative review, all of the negatives have the same theme....Its a BEACH FRONT resort...All Beach Front resorts have sand...sand and salt water mist create paint chips, dirty floors, etc. The Islander does a great job keeping up with these issues. Its just a great great resort. Even the kid in the evenings that cleans up around the pool is friendly. The bed was comfy, the hot tub wonderful, the view is 2nd to none, and the pool is great. We love it and we will continue to go year after year.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2009

The good news--the view of the ocean from the room is awesome. The staff was friendly.
The bad news--the place itself, especially the bathroom., which you can barely turn around in. It's very old and desperately in need of renovations.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank DebbieB56
Chattanooga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2009

This is our 13th vacation to the Islander Beach...we live and work in Chattanooga and love to get away to New Smyrna Beach. There may be newer hotels, but the Islander has the ambience...the view of the ocean, the wonderful staff, the comfortable rooms... We look forward to our trip every year and get excited when we begin to smell the ocean and see "our" home away from home waiting for us. I personally love the water aerobics class that is just one of the many activities available to us during our stay. I have come to know the local members of the class and look forward to seeing them every year...it's like visiting family. My husband and I can not get enough of the ocean and sit on the beach every day, even getting up to watch the sunrise some days....it's just a matter of getting on the elevator, out the door and down to the beach. Well, I'm back to work and starting to plan next year's vacation at the Islander Beach.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2009

Although this place was nothing like a snootie French Riviera flat, it was comfortable and very family oriented. The location was awsome. The Beach, which is out the back door, was clean and Kid Friendly. If you are looking for a reasonably priced resort that gives you Bang for the Buck, this is where you want to stay. The activities kept my kids busy and the surrounding area has the feel of a quaint small beachside village. After my visit to the resort and this area, I am looking at purchasing in this area.

You can't go wrong with this place.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Smyrna Beach
BEST WESTERN New Smyrna Beach Hotel & Suites
BEST WESTERN New Smyrna Beach Ho...
#2 of 13 in New Smyrna Beach
BEST WESTERN Edgewater Inn
Coastal Waters Inn
Coastal Waters Inn
#7 of 10 in New Smyrna Beach

Been to Islander Beach Resort? Share your experiences!