“Nice place 3rd visit”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in New Smyrna Beach
Ocean Sands Beach Club
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in New Smyrna Beach
Reviewed 4 January 2013

This is our 4th visit to New Smyrna Beach our 3rd at Ocean Sands. Our first visit was 20+ years ago when we were dating. It was a nice romantic week everything was perfect. Ocean Sands was great. It was nice staying in the timeshare versus a hotel. The second was a we need a break trip. 20 years later Ocean Sands is still a great place to stay. Facility is still well maintained. TV's a bit dated. Cooking utensils could be better but they are functional. Problems were minimal and addressed quickly. Staff very courteous and helpful. This is a place I will continue to keep on my vacation list. This has beneath great start to the new year.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank R W
There are newer reviews for Ocean Sands Beach Club

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Comfortable units with 2 bedrooms, both with TVs. Living room with TV. Great when traveling/vacationing with families, it gives all a chance to retire to room for a little "down" time to ones self. Master bedroom has full bath, nice but huge shower is wasted space when you wish you could soak in a tub (the unit has another full bath with tub in hall but that is where everyone would come and go- soaking time would be limited). Pool is small and needs some minor fix-ups but is adequate. Has hot tub/jacuzzi. There are 3 buildings one is way back off a driveway type road, the other two run parallel with one end facing the ocean. There is perhaps only one room with "ocean view" from inside the room, that would be upstairs on the very end of the longest unit. Others offer limited view of ocean from balcony. People there seemed very pleasant. Grounds nice and neat. Interior furnishings a little "tired" but very functional. This is not a "high end" modern place but a more comfortable, homey type place. People that worked there seemed very pleasant. NOW, the only drawback - the unit had TONS of the little sugar or ghost ants common to Florida. They dont bite but are a real pain in the rear. I have lived in Florida since 1993 and have fought them tooth and claw in several locations. You can never truly get rid of them for good as new nests develop and find you (and your food) but you can keep them at bay with a good exterminator. When exterminator not available and you are under attack Terro Baits you get at Home Depot or other hardware type stores helps tremendously. You put these out, let the ants swarm all over it, they take it back to the nest, the nest dies, usually within 2 days they are all gone. So, we came in late. Put non fridge groceries on the counter and went to bed. Next morning, 40% of what we left on counter (over 40.00) had to be thrown away - COVERED IN ANTS. So, I went to the office, very pleasant lady says they cant spray inside but could have maintenance spray outside (big help the ants are INSIDE). They apparently have never heard of Terro and when asked said they didnt have any. We had to go buy our own insecticide to control THEIR BUG PROBLEM. We did see 2 baby roaches in master bath but no more. Liked the resort, very convenient for us as we have friends who live nearby, and for grandkids to go to Orlando but not to have to stay in that crowded atmosphere. We will try to go next year but will know to bring our own bug stuff or not put anything out until sure unit doesnt have ants. My husband and I loved the Sleep Number bed in the master bedroom. He likes a hard bed and I like a soft - we were both very happy sleeping.

Room Tip: Back building by dirt road is away from both the ocean and pool and it probably the first banked and...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank KeysGrandma
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Let me start by saying, we booked this property through Diamond Resorts, which is a timeshare company.

We checked in at Ocean Sands at 7:30 on Saturday, May 26th. We had a little bit of trouble finding the place, as the address is a bit deceiving, being on Hill street which is the street between the oceanfront and South Atlantic. I am convinced that we got the back building because we were the last to check in for the day. :-) This building faces Hill Street, with the pool and ocean a short walk away.

There were 6 of us, 2 adults, 2 teenagers, 2 kids, in a 2 bedroom unit. It's kind of small for this, but we managed just fine. Thank goodness for 2 bathrooms. Loved the big shower in the "master" bathroom. Kitchen was a bit small compared to other timeshare units, but perfectly usable, had all the things we needed to cook and eat our meals.

The master bed is a queen-size sleep number bed. I hated the bed, but my husband liked it a lot. I never could get my size adjusted to a comfortable number. The sofa-bed mattress was extremely hard, so my daughter slept on the couch rather than pull it out. But all were clean, and we had plenty of pillows and blankets. My oldest broke out in a rash, and we aren't sure if it might be the detergent used on the sheets/towels.

Towel exchange was on Tuesday and Thursday. That was good since there are no in-unit laundry facilities. The pay washers/dryers are next to the office, and are $2 per load for the washer and the dryer. I brought quarters with me, but ended up just taking the dirty laundry home with us. Most of the other Diamond Resorts properties we have booked at have washer/dryer in the units, and I missed this A LOT!!!

It was a very short walk to the pool and ocean. The pool was small, but the water was heated. Their filter system didn't work very well, and many times the guests would skim out the bugs with the net. One day there was a crab in the pool, which caused some excitement with my bunch. We went to the office and they sent a maintenance man over quickly, and he got the crab out and released it back to the sand. Loved the chairs and loungers at the pool, they were very comfortable. Also, there were plenty of tables to go around. Nice place to relax and listen to the ocean and swim in the pool.

This is a quiet, family-oriented place. Great for multi-generational groups and families with young children. Overall, I think we would go back there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in one of the oceanfront buildings. Only a couple of units are actually oceanfront, b...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank bmatda
Reviewed 10 May 2012

stayed there two years in a row. First wasnt bad but this year a disaster... broken shower, had to run to the office to report it so it could be turned off.. by the time they showed our place was like a sauna. Construction going on next door the entire week, power tools, pounding on the joining walls early morning.We actually had to step over saws and construction mess just to enter our unit. Def no sleeping in if you wanted to.Ac unit outside the door was extremely loud.The sleep comfort bed didnt work so we were stuck on a very uncomfortable setting.Asked to speak to property owner for possibly small compensation or to be relocated to another room but he failed to get back to us. We were told repeatedly that William Hall would call us but he never did. He had an office girl call 2 weeks after we were home to simply say "no compensation" He could have at least called himself. He didnt care to hear anything we went through that week. if you book this place,, your up for disappointment! He obviously only cares about the money.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Edie C
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Ocean Sands is a fine place for a couple or family to have a nice, quiet beach vacation. As others have said, it is not fancy. The units are well laid out and comfortable. The furnishings could use some updating and I'm not a fan of the Air Comfort beds, but everything you need is there. The pool is small but never crowded while we were there. Bring beach towels. Most units have an ocean view and the beach is steps away.
Check out the state and national park lands in the area. Wonderful opportunities to view wildlife and enjoy some time outdoors in the sunshine.

Room Tip: Try to get an end unit - the walls are a bit thin and noise from neighbors can be a bit annoying.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank cardsfan62
Reviewed 16 February 2012

My buddy and his girlfriend came into town (orlando) from NY. It was a beautiful day so we decided to drive over to the beach and we found this place driving up and down A1A. I am definitely coming back for another long weekend. Right on the beach with a pool and hot tub. There is a great pizza joint walking distance. The restaurant down the beach is not very good though.

Room Tip: Second bedroom has 2 twins and the furniture is a little out dated.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank btran321
Reviewed 19 December 2011

The complex is only two storey's, no elevators and steps from the beach. The view is fantantic and the beach is exceptional. We love the idea that these are only two storey units. Not luxury units but very comfortable with two bedroom and two bathrooms. Today they would not be building two storey units like this on the beach so I consider this location exceptional. The pool is fine but the hot tub I know has been a problem from time to time and I would consider on the noisy side. The grounds are clean and well kept. If you like surf fishing its great just out front. If you are looking for action this is not the place for you but if you want an ocean view, are steps from the ocean and only two stores then this is where you want to be.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view except the ones backing on to the main road so if you want that view all t...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends