“Helga's offers unique menu that will keep you coming back”
Review of Helga's - CLOSED

Helga's
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
“Helga's offers unique menu that will keep you coming back”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I found myself in Niceville last Thursday and thought it would be a perfect opportunity to take my wife out to lunch. We live in Bluewater Bay and have wanted to venture over to Helga's but never been able to time it perfectly. Until now, that is.

Atmosphere is original and authentic with a European feel. Outdoor seating in the Biergarten is also an option here. Again, authentic family-style, side-by-side seating. I may suggest some German music in the background to enhance the experience.

A bold lunch menu includes such items as Wiener Schnitzel with salad $12, Reuben Sandwich $7.50 and Bratwurst with side for $8. Helga's also has a attractive bar with German beer selections on tap.

I orded the Warm German Salad and my wife ordered the Jager Schnitzel (pork) which came with home-made Spatzle and red cabbage.

Both were excellent. One of those meals where you talk more about how good the food is rather than what time the kid's have to be at soccer practice.

We finished off our meal with homemade German Chocolate Cake (Gluten free). Now I was speechless.

Or service was efficient and friendly. Our server was new but was prompt in acquiring answers to some of the obvious questions one would have when venturing into the uncharted territory of German Cuisine.

If you are close to Helga's at lunchtime. Go. It's worth the trip no matter where you are coming from. Make it your dinner destination. You will not be disappointed. They also offer a Sunday brunch from 10am-2pm. The menu is written with skill and is well pointed for a guaranteed return visit.

• Visited April 2013

Westfield, New Jersey
“Authentic German”
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Well worth the visit. Authentic and great atmosphere. Ordered most of the menu with our large group, and everything was good. Loved the pork chops.

Visited March 2013
NW FL
“Still a favorite”
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Since getting here is a bot of a drive, we seldom come over. But last week we brought other family members to enjoy a little piece of Germany. Again, the schnitzel was tender and flavorful. I had the goulash soup and loved it. Apparently you can ask for it spicy or not, but I didn't ask and wasn't asked. It was a little spicy, which I loved. Not sure if it gets spicier! My mom had the Reuben and needed help finishing it which I was happy to do. It had very tender meat and was a tasty sandwich. We started by sharing a hot pretzel, and I do recommend sharing it. It's big, but oh so tasty.

Helga's apparently has new ownership which seems to have resulted in more sandwiches being offered, which is a nice touch. I didn't not notice any other favorites missing, so adding to the menu makes Helga's even better.

• Visited February 2013
“A great meal”
Reviewed 8 February 2013

It was a great meal. Service was prompt, courteous, an the food was great. The salad captures was delicious and topped off with a rostbraten steak that was wonderful.

Las Vegas, Nevada
“Awesome German food”
Reviewed 27 January 2013

It's hard to find good German food at a restaurant but this place is awesome. I had the wiener schnitzel with potato salad and cucumbers and it was delicious. They have some good German beers available as well. The food was kind of pricey but the quality more than made up for it. I wanted to try everything on the menu and will surely go back there when I'm in Niceville again.

• Visited January 2013