“Call ahead”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Pensacola, Florida
“Call ahead”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I've eaten here several times before and the food was authentic, fresh and excellent. This past weekend for my birthday my wife and I decided to eat here but unfortunately, Helga, whom I would always see in the restaurant cooking was not there nor was the husband who would come around and greet you. We usually eat outside in the Biergarten but since the husband wasn't around cigarette butts were in the flower pots, cigarette packs on tables and some of the workers smoking in the biergarten, mind you I had my toddler with me. I ordered my usual Vienna schnitzel which is pork and it was breaded differently from the last time I was there, it seemed to be Panko breadcrumbs and it was fried unevenly. The waitress did not know what a Hefeweizen beer was and then told me they were out of it, later we were asked if we wanted dessert and Helga usually makes the best Apple strudel but again, they were out of it. My advice to you is to call ahead and ask if Helga is working. Otherwise the next German restaurant is in Panama City. They do give you a military discount.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Sgt M

Niceville, Florida
“Handmade with Love”
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

I love to go to Helga's for a special treat! From the hot, delicious bread, served with sour cream and butter, and the potato pancake appetizer (have it with the salmon roe for a perfect bite) to the hand-pounded jaegerschnitzel I know I'm going to get a meal made with the best ingredients and lots of love.

Must tries: do not pass up a bowl of goulash soup! You will not be disappointed.

My husband and I have learned that we can share an appetizer, a basket of bread, each get our own soup or salad, and share the jaegerschnitzel and still bring home leftovers.

Closed on Mondays!

Try to save room for dessert, I know they are homemade and they look fantastic. I just never have room to eat one!

Visited July 2013
Tomball, TX
“Adorable atmosphere, authentic German food and warm friendly service”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This place is really cute! Our server was very nice, and knowledgeable about the menu. We ordered wienerschnitzel, bratwurst and jaegerschnitzel to share between the 3 of us, as well as the pretzel appetizer. It was a little pricey, but the food was very good, especially the JAEGERSCHNITZEL. My son is learning German in school, so I asked the server if anyone there speaks German. She quickly went and got one of the owners, who was so sweet to have a conversation in German with my son, and patient as he was very nervous to try out his skills with a native speaker. It was a wonderful experience!

• Visited August 2013
“Perfect German night”
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

We stopped in here on our way home from practice and were pleasantly surprised! The atmosphere is precious - real German feel. We had schnitzel & goulash with all the trimmings (including German wine & beer). We can't wait to get back!

• Visited July 2013
Nasilava, Belarus
“Great ambient but horrible food.”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

My girlfriend and I wanted to visit this place because we live not far. We also read all great reviews on TripAdvisor and were extremely excited.

At first we loved the place when we came in and sat. It really felt cozy. You would never expect to find this kind of place in the town like Niceville. In the backyard of the restaurant there was an imitation of German "Biergarten (Beer garden).

We ordered dark beer and wheat beer which was great. We anticipated trying great German dishes: Spätzle (noodles) and Bratwurst (sausage). Both dishes came with Sauerkraut. Bratwurst also came with homemade fried potatoes as a side dish. Spätzle was tasteless, had a plastic smell. My girlfriend was not able to eat it. Sauerkraut was really salty and remotely tasted like real German Sauerkraut. The only thing we managed to eat was Bratwurst. In the end the waiter included some stuff to our bill we did not order.

We had lots of hope for this place but were completely disappointed. Next time we will definitely choose other places in Niceville or Destin.

• Visited June 2013